Woodstock
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone!

I will attempt to run a Quartermaster General: 1914 PBF game.

It will take a fair amount of interactivity compared to the original game due to the way prepared cards and discards are handled.

Since this is a first, "demonstration" game, I'd ask that everyone read the game rules thoroughly. I'd very much prefer players who have put the game on the table already, or at least tried a solitaire game to ensure that they have a solid understanding of the mechanics and what cards are in your deck. Complete card lists will not be provided.

The idea is that other people are going to learn from your play. Having said that, I'd prefer not to have discussions on the philosophy behind a card or other tangential discussions. (I'm asking you to restrain yourself in asking hypotheticals just because I'm the GM.) We can have those on the rules or general forums. Light humorous roleplay is always appreciated...

As always, no PMs between players about the game. All strategy talk has to be done in the open.

The game is much more interactive than QMG.

To minimize the back and forth, unless there is a combat I would ask that all orders in the turn be submitted at once. (In a live game, a player would not know the attrition action during the play step, but I want to pick up the pace.)

If there is combat in the play step, then steps 3-5 will be delayed. If you are skipping a step, indicate this by typing "none".

I am going to give each card a unique identifier (ID). This identifier will not be based on the order in the deck, so will provide no information to the other players. The idea is to be able to cut down on the number of public and private posts. When you discard or prepare cards, put the ID in the public post, in brackets[] followed by the location (H=Hand, P=Prepared, D=Draw Deck), e.g. "[237]H". If you are discarding from the top of the draw deck, write "[???]D", and I'll send you a PM with the card(s) you lost.

Order Submission:
Turn n: Power Name (AH/OT, Russia, Germany, Fr/It, UK/US)
1. Draft Country: Card Type (or "none"). If you are drafting, put the card IDs here (e. g.[ID],[ID])
2. Play Card Title (Game Text): - How used, like if all actions are performed, or where an Army is built, IDs of any cards discarded, etc. Appreciate if you can post the game text since as a demo game this will help.
3. Attrition Card Title: Powers effected Indicate which countries are effected by using the letters "A""R""G""F""U" instead of the attrition symbols (e.g., Unrestricted Submarine Warfare: UUU). If it is a single attrition symbol, just indicate the deck you are targeting, but do write the title of the card so we know what you're discarding.
4. Prepare [ID] or "none"
5. Draw Draw n cards

When you are required to discard a card due to Economic Warfare, a Status card, attrition, or something else, quote back the post and indicate the IDs and location (H,P,D) of the cards being discarded.

ANYTIME someone battles a space containing your piece, and you have at least one prepared card, you must respond publicly to the poster of the move. I don't want to have to be the one to indicate you have nothing to do, since that's supposed to be a secret. Quote the move back in your response, and then indicate if you use a prepared card or pass. If you do use a prepared card, make sure to write:

[ID] Title of the card: prepare symbol abbreviations ("RA","RN","SLB","SSB","CA" or doubles like "RARA")

example:
[G41] Land Battle: SLB

A battle can go back and forth. If there are two defending players, I will take the first legitimate use of a prepared card posted, but obviously the two players might want to confer (publicly of course).

I will post the map at the end of each round.

Hope this all makes sense! It will take a fair amount of monitoring of the boards, with all the discards and battle play. By using the card IDs, the only time we have to PM is when you lose cards off your discard deck, and when you draw cards, so it will mostly be me -> you.
Again, I'm going to wait for you all to respond when you have any cards prepared (useful or not) and when you are supposed to discard.

Timezone wise, I don't want to make any constraints. Hopefully we won't end up with heated battles between players on opposite sides of the world. I'm not quite sure how to handle that, but if anyone has any thoughts, please chime in.

thanks
Ian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fristrom
United States
Watertown
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I'd love to play. I haven't had a chance to get this on the table yet (still awaiting my Kickstarted copy), but I've read the rules and have a fair amount of experience with the first two QM games (and expansions). I also successfully ran the second PBF game of Victory or Death.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Brody
United States
Woodstock
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dfristrom wrote:
I'd love to play. I haven't had a chance to get this on the table yet (still awaiting my Kickstarted copy), but I've read the rules and have a fair amount of experience with the first two QM games (and expansions). I also successfully ran the second PBF game of Victory or Death.

Here's one player. I think no one is subscribed to the 1914 PBF hence the lack of usual suspects. I'm going to make a post on the main QMG board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daffin
United Kingdom
Ledbury
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have many people received the KS package? Not received here yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Brody
United States
Woodstock
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aha! Maybe I should delay for a couple weeks; or just go ahead with people just reading the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maximilien ASYNCRON games
France
flag msg tools
I am interested in playing a game. I will read the rules but I am not sure to be able to play the game in the coming days. I will try at least alone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karsten Engelmann
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am interested too...but do not have a copy. Recommend waiting until it hits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Brody
United States
Woodstock
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, we'll try in a couple weeks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ian, I want to join in too. However, without a map-board to play PBF is like the craziest thing on earth I haven't tried before. Does it mean you have to lay out the physical game on the table at home to move according to the discussion? Why don't you set up a Vassal module? Why Hexwar license would prohibit development of Vassal module for the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Brody
United States
Woodstock
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone playing must own a copy of the game. I'm waiting until more of the kickstarter copies go out. As I mentioned earlier, any other legal or philosophical discussion has to be on a different thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witch Lord
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just ordered mine today

Not sure when I'll get it delivered to me, but I'm looking forward to it a lot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daffin
United Kingdom
Ledbury
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave in Ledbury wrote:
Have many people received the KS package? Not received here yet.

Game arrived today
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witch Lord
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just been informed that my copy has been delivered to me this morning. I'm very much looking forward to taking a first look when I sleeve all the cards tonight.

So, may I join this PBF game please?

I am Ready to Play thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Brody
United States
Woodstock
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Drog
United States
Ponte Vedra Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in! Got my copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Derekx
France
flag msg tools
mb
Got my copy too (one week ago). If there's a place, I'm in.
I'm ok with the rules (forum and from the game) and now quite well QMG et a little bit GM VoD.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witch Lord
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We still need one more player! Anyone else ready to play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maximilien ASYNCRON games
France
flag msg tools
I am ready as well (if you have not already counted me).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witch Lord
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That makes five of us.

WOOOT! laugh Can't wait to start!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Brody
United States
Woodstock
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK terrific. I have a busy day today but tomorrow is easier (I think) and so we should be ready to begin very shortly!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fristrom
United States
Watertown
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I'm afraid I still haven't received my Kickstarted copy, and have no idea when to expect it (communication has been rather poor on this Kickstarter project).

I've reviewed the rules and am happy to play without a copy, but if you want everyone to have their copy, you'll have to either wait or find someone to replace me (which I would understand).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witch Lord
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dfristrom wrote:
I'm afraid I still haven't received my Kickstarted copy, and have no idea when to expect it (communication has been rather poor on this Kickstarter project).

I've reviewed the rules and am happy to play without a copy, but if you want everyone to have their copy, you'll have to either wait or find someone to replace me (which I would understand).

I'm sorry Dave, but I believe we have 5 players who already own a copy... Dave in Ledbury, Michael Drog, Simon Derekx, Maximilien da Cunha and myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daffin
United Kingdom
Ledbury
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Witch Lord wrote:
dfristrom wrote:

I'm sorry Dave, but I believe we have 5 players who already own a copy... Dave in Ledbury, Michael Drog, Simon Derekx, Maximilien da Cunha and myself.

Hi guys, I do have a copy and have played through a game solo, but I'm currently working away from home so I won't be able to play if you're planning on starting within the next couple of weeks. Sorry. I haven't written a report yet but I had a very enjoyable play through. I didn't play optimally as I was unfamiliar with the cards, but I played all the way through to turn 17, with some of the 'players' out of cards.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witch Lord
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I see. Too bad... Then we do need one more player.

I think I've got a total of about 20 games under my belt by now (with all possible numbers of players from 1 to 5).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Derekx
France
flag msg tools
mb
Yes, too bad...
I received the game a little late but nothing is missing. So I'm ok with them.
(maybe more things to collect the pieces for each country separately).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [17] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.