Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Allen Cordell
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
During the breeding phase, am I right in thinking you only get one additional animal, even if you have more than one pregnant animal? Or do you get an additional animal per pregnant animal?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goldfarb
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How did you get more than one pregnant animal?

Well, you could have one pregnant sheep and one pregnant cow, and in this case you would get one of each. But there's no way to have more than one pregnant animal of each type.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Peters
United States
Barberton
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure how you'd ever get more than one pregnant animal. You can't acquire one, that I'm aware of, and no matter how many you have only one ever gets pregnant...

So it goes in this order without exception...

1 - 3 regular cows
2 - 2 regular cows 1 pregnant cow
3 - 4 regular cows
4 - 3 regular cows 1 pregnant cow
5 - 5 regular cows
6 - 4 regular cows 1 pregnant cow
7 - 6 regular cows
8 - 5 regular cows 1 pregnant cow
9 - 7 regular cows

I think that's how it goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmb
David Goldfarb wrote:

Well, you could have one pregnant sheep and one pregnant cow, and in this case you would get one of each. But there's no way to have more than one pregnant animal of each type.
You could, via a card, if such a card exists. There's a breeder card, can't recall the specifics. So yes, if you have two pregnant sheep, they both flip and you gain two new sheep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Annemarie Post
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
David Goldfarb wrote:

You can, via a card. Yes, if you have two pregnant sheep, they both flip and you gain two new sheep.

It's the Breeder (Occupation card 79A), to be specific.

But according to the English rules (page 10):
Quote:
If you have at least 1 sheep with the “pregnant sheep” side facing
up, turn all of them to the other side and take 1 “sheep” tile.

So apparently it doesn't matter whether you have 1 or 2 pregnant sheep, you will just get 1 new one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Cordell
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anny48 wrote:
clydeiii wrote:
David Goldfarb wrote:

You can, via a card. Yes, if you have two pregnant sheep, they both flip and you gain two new sheep.

Quote:

So apparently it doesn't matter whether you have 1 or 2 pregnant sheep, you will just get 1 new one.

Exactly my confusion. You and Clyde have different interpretations of the rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Annemarie Post
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Before I checked the rules I thought Clyde was right ;-) It seems more intuitive like that. But I think the rules are clear here: one or more pregnant sheep = 1 new sheep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmb
Anny48 wrote:
Before I checked the rules I thought Clyde was right ;-) It seems more intuitive like that. But I think the rules are clear here: one or more pregnant sheep = 1 new sheep.
Ah indeed. I had the rules wrong. But it is possible to have two pregnant sheep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goldfarb
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not having looked at all the ocks, I didn't realize that one existed. I will say that if you don't get one newborn per pregnant animal, that ock seems really underpowered to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Annemarie Post
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
David Goldfarb wrote:
Not having looked at all the ocks, I didn't realize that one existed. I will say that if you don't get one newborn per pregnant animal, that ock seems really underpowered to me.

I think it's quite good in the early game. When you only have 1 sheep and get to play that occupation, you get to breed your sheep with less actions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmb
Quote:
I will say that if you don't get one newborn per pregnant animal, that ock seems really underpowered to me.
Agree, although I suppose it is a way to begin breeding on turn one, something that is really hard (impossible?) to do otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Anny48 wrote:
clydeiii wrote:
David Goldfarb wrote:

Quote:

clydeiii wrote:
Anny48 wrote:
Ah indeed. I had the rules wrong. But it is possible to have two pregnant sheep.

Technically the Breeder only works on cattle according to the appendix, so there is no way to get 2 pregnant sheep I believe?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Anny48 wrote:
David Goldfarb wrote:

I think it's quite good in the early game. When you only have 1 sheep and get to play that occupation, you get to breed your sheep with less actions.

which in turn means 2 animals to breed the next turn as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanpassel
Belgium
Tongeren
Limburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anny48 wrote:
clydeiii wrote:
David Goldfarb wrote:

Quote:

In the Dutch rules it clearly states that you can add 1 sheep per pregnant sheep you turn over.
But I was wondering myself how you would ever own 2 pregnant sheep.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Think there is an occupation that let's you flip a sheep to the pregnant side, so playing that when you already have a pregnant sheep would give you a second one.
By memory so not sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Passel88 wrote:
Anny48 wrote:
clydeiii wrote:
David Goldfarb wrote:

Quote:

In the Dutch rules it clearly states that you can add 1 sheep per pregnant sheep you turn over.

Can someone else confirm this in the Dutch rules? This seems like an important difference from the English version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Annemarie Post
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GAFBlizzard wrote:
Passel88 wrote:
Anny48 wrote:
clydeiii wrote:
David Goldfarb wrote:

Quote:

Can someone else confirm this in the Dutch rules? This seems like an important difference from the English version.

Confirmed.
The (almost) direct translation from the Dutch rules is as follows: "If you have at least one sheep with the 'pregnant' side up, turn those tiles around and take per turned tile one new sheep-tile."

I also took a look at the German rules, but I can't translate them completely. For me the interpretation hinges on the word 'jeweils'. Here is the German rule: "Immer wenn ihr mindestens 1 Schaf auf der Seite 'Trachtiges Schaf' liegen habt, dreht diese Warenmarken zuruck auf die Seite 'Schaf' und nehmt euch jeweils 1 zusatzliche Warenmarke 'Schaf'.

If someone could translate the German rules as directly as possible, that would be great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Reitberger
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anny48 wrote:
GAFBlizzard wrote:
Passel88 wrote:
Anny48 wrote:
clydeiii wrote:
David Goldfarb wrote:

Quote:

Confirmed.
The (almost) direct translation from the Dutch rules is as follows: "If you have at least one sheep with the 'pregnant' side up, turn those tiles around and take per turned tile one new sheep-tile."

I also took a look at the German rules, but I can't translate them completely. For me the interpretation hinges on the word 'jeweils'. Here is the German rule: "Immer wenn ihr mindestens 1 Schaf auf der Seite 'Trachtiges Schaf' liegen habt, dreht diese Warenmarken zuruck auf die Seite 'Schaf' und nehmt euch jeweils 1 zusatzliche Warenmarke 'Schaf'.

If someone could translate the German rules as directly as possible, that would be great!

Whenever you have at least one sheep with the pregnant side up, turn those tiles back to the side sheep and take 1 additional sheep tile for each.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Annemarie Post
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In that case there seems to be an error in the English rules.

EDIT: I have contacted Frank Heeren about this issue. Hopefully he'll come with an answer soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Heeren
Germany
Eppstein-Bremthal
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmb
alphasixty wrote:
During the breeding phase, am I right in thinking you only get one additional animal, even if you have more than one pregnant animal? Or do you get an additional animal per pregnant animal?

You get an additional animal per pregnant animal. The English rules (page 10) have it wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei
Canada
Maple
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nan3000 wrote:
alphasixty wrote:

You get an additional animal per pregnant animal. The English rules (page 10) have it wrong.

Whaa... ?? This is not in the FAQ either. huh. Good to know!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Duran
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. That's possibly the most critical errata I've seen yet for this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Annemarie Post
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JaydedOne wrote:

It is a rather rare to have several pregnant animals, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
JaydedOne wrote:

It should be added to the errata, but I don't think it affects the vast majority of games.

Unless I missed something, there is exactly 1 card in the entire game -- Breeder (79 A) -- that can cause a situation with 2 pregnant animals of the same type.

*edit* And in fact, it should be IMPOSSIBLE to have more than 2 pregnant animals of the same type. Breeder is a one-use-only card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Duran
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah. For some reason, I hyperventilated a bit and thought that the mistranslation was more sweeping than that and meant (despite the "Uwe" examples to the contrary in the rules) that you created multiple pregnant sheep or cattle if you had enough pairs.

Now I see that this is a pretty corner case and far less significant than I originally thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.