mbmbmbmbmb
Game Name: Mint Control
Designer: Justin Blaske
Players: 2-4
Play Time: 15 - 30min

Components:
- 12 Location Cards
- 5 Action Cards
- 20 Influence Tokens (5 in 4 different colors)
- 20 Mint Tokens
- 1 Starting Player Token

Overview:
Due to the success of his Mint making empire in Mintopia City, Mort's efforts (and market share) have come under attack!

Three new mint making companies have noticed the profit potential of Mintopia City and have moved in, in an attempt to dominate the market and make all of the money.

Players will take the role of one of four mint making companies and assert their influence over various locations in Mintopia City to secure their loyalties and earn the provided market share.

Doing this has associated costs and potential short term benefits, in the form of currency reword or special abilities.

Once one player has managed to exert all of their influence the game will end and the player that has earned the most market share from locations that they have managed to control with their influence, will win the game.

Download: Mint Control PnP v2 (Zip containing all files)- https://www.dropbox.com/s/izoxzwufa6tfd3b/Mint%20Control%20P...

Rulebook Only: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7mwh0ncizzyf9xb/Rulebook.pdf?dl=0

Cards Only: https://www.dropbox.com/s/nyqjx952g2xf45j/Actions%20and%20Lo...

Mint Control is designed to provide a small footprint introduction experience to the Area Control and Action Selection genres of gaming that is fun and rewarding to play even for seasoned gamers.

The idea behind creating Mint Control was to make a spiritual successor to Mint Works, and continue the legacy of introducing mechanics to a wider audience. In direct contrast to Mint Works, this game has and encourages direct conflict between players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Audy Watson
United States
Yreka
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Subscribed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Gerlach
United States
Watertown
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I can tell you're a mechanics-first kind of guy, which is great. For me to really get interested in a game though, I do need some insight into the theme. Can you share a few sentences about the theme and how the mechanics work?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Blaske
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure thing Lucas! Good call!

I'll copy this up to the main thread as well.

Due to the success of his Mint making empire in Mintopia City, Mort's efforts (and market share) have come under attack!

Three new mint making companies have noticed the profit potential of Mintopia City and have moved in, in an attempt to dominate the market and make all of the money.

Players will take the role of one of four mint making companies and assert their influence over various locations in Mintopia City to secure their loyalties and earn the provided market share.

Doing this has associated costs and potential short term benefits, in the form of currency reword or special abilities.

Once one player has managed to exert all of their influence the game will end and the player that has earned the most market share from locations that they have managed to control with their influence, will win the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Lockard
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played it - and it is fun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G. Uitz
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Justin,

I just printed the game and read the rules.
Here are my questions:

* there are only 11 location cards, the rulebook says 12. I guess it doesn't matter for the game.

* The starting player chooses one of the available five cards, places it in front of him and plays the action from the top half. Then each other player in clockwise direction has the choice to take the action from the bottom half.
Next the player to the left chooses one of the remaining four cards.

What happens then in a 2 player game?
Does the starting player choose one of the remaining three cards and so forth until all five cards are played? This would mean, that the starting player gets to play three of the five actions and his opponent two.

This needs a bit more detail.

* Actions: you might consider to exlain both actions on every card like "Top Action:" and "Bottom Action:".

I will try to play the game with my daughter this weekend.

Dark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Blaske
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback Dark!

As of right now, in a two player game each player will pick one action and then a new round will start. I have considered having each player pull 1 action at a time until they have both picked two actions, but haven't tested it yet.

-Justin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex L
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played a few 2 player rounds of this today at lunch. We had a great time playing. Here are a few comments:

Locations used:
Game 1: Producer, Wholesaler
Game 2: Bunker, Leadership Council, Gallery, Park
Game 3: Real Estate Office, Supplier, Lotto, City Hall

- 2 Players with 2 Location Cards: When we end up selecting 2 location cards with 5 influence spaces each, the game seems a bit dull as there aren't many choices to make. This might not necessarily be a bad thing if you want a shorter game as an introduction for new players. However, when there are more location cards the game opens up quite a bit.

- Oust Action Card: The 'Oust' action card does not clearly reflect that the perk to oust a player costs one mint. The rules state: "the perk for Oust is to spend 1 mint to remove any 1 Influence token from a location."

- Park Location: After only one play with the Park Location (and only 2 players), the Park's oust bonus seemed a bit overpowered. A free influence (especially in a 2 player game) is quite a substantial bonus. The Supplier Oust bonus is the same, but the 5 cost and no points made it rarely used in our game.

- Influencing, Ousting, gaining/losing mints required? The rules are a bit unclear in some scenarios in regards to whether or not something is required or optional. Are the following two scenarios correct?
> Scenario 1: If the Influence action is selected, other players *may* influence a location if they have enough mints. Giving the players the option to pass even if they have enough mints to influence a location.
> Scenario 2: If Player 'A' has 2 influence on the 'Reducer' location and Player 'B' selects the Presence action, then player 'A' *must* take the presence bonus and lose 2 mints.

The way we interpreted the rules was the following: Ousting and Influencing is optional, however, gaining/losing mints is required.

- Minor Rule tweaks:
> Page 3, Locations section: 'Occupation' should be 'Influence'
> Page 3, Bonus section: I believe this section should be called 'Presence Bonus'
> Page 3, Control section: There should not be any commas in either sentences.
> Page 4, Presence section: 'eviction' should be 'oust'

Looking forward to seeing this game progress!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Blaske
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback Alex!

I'll take this into consideration and get things updated.

As for applying optional/mandatory for the actions, you did it the way I expected.

I'll definitely get those things clarified, and the errors in the rules fixed up.

-Justin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Blaske
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I've uploaded V2 of Mint Control, the rules have been updated as well as the cards and action tokens.

Went for a red heavy style, similar to the blue heavy style of Mint Works, but red since this is much more of a conflict driven game.

Also included in the pnp zip are .obj files for those of you that might want to 3d print their own tokens for the game.

I've updated the main post, but here is the link for convenience: https://www.dropbox.com/s/izoxzwufa6tfd3b/Mint%20Control%20P...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. L.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi. I csn't access Dropbox zip files -- would you mind just posting a PDF?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Blaske
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure thing! Here you go:

Rulebook Only: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7mwh0ncizzyf9xb/Rulebook.pdf?dl=0

Cards Only: https://www.dropbox.com/s/nyqjx952g2xf45j/Actions%20and%20Lo...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ronald Lo
Philippines
TAGUIG
METRO MANILA
flag msg tools
mbmb
Subscribed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Justin,
Can you provide the OBJ/STL file for the starting player token?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Blaske
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Here you go: https://www.dropbox.com/s/p6shl2kaj61cm4h/tintoken.obj?dl=0
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool. Thanks man!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Guerrero
Spain
Sevilla
Sevilla
flag msg tools
mb
Wow, it looks really cool. I love the influence tokens even more than mint ones
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sallay
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Playtested today with 4 players at work over lunch. We played a round of mint works, then learned Mint Control.

Thoughts:
1) There was confusion from the other players over the symbols. The "presence bonus" uses the same icon as the Influence icon. There was a question if you gain the 'presence bonus" when influencing a location.

2) We had a kingmaker at the end. Player 1 played the last influence action and placed the influence token on the reducer which had no players. this gave them 6 points. Player 2 placed on the Park, taking control and gaining 2 points for a total of 4. Player 3 had 1 point and played on the Reducer, taking player 1's total to 3, giving the game to player 2. (Player 4 had no mints).

3) Would it make sense that if outsted on the Park you may influence any OTHER location for free? otherwise there is never a reason to oust someone on the park. I like the mechanic but I would make it a 1 star area with 5 locations and if ousted go anywhere else for free.

Icons: I might suggest this icon to represent the presence bonus: http://game-icons.net/delapouite/gui/move.html

We liked it other than that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.