Popular Tags: [View All]
Jamie Johnson
France
Nancy
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmb
I want to start this post with a big thank you to everyone that’s supported and encouraged us before and during the Rising 5 campaign.

But I also want to thank those that have also expressed doubts about Rising 5.

You see, as I’ve said before, Rising 5 is not your typical KS game. It’s got the app, it’s got a high production value for what is seen as a “short” game and just its genre is unusual. So it’s normal that we’re met with critique, but compared to other projects I’ve seen and worked on I see it, for the majority, as very constructive with most seemingly trying to convince themselves not to pledge rather than the opposite meaning that we do have an interesting and fun project, it’s just lacking a bit for some. I do want to take this opportunity to reassure people that we listen to everyone’s comments (even the silly ones!) and I personally take the time to reflect on everything that is said.

Now one of the things that has come up time and time again is the price/game length so let me talk about that for a minute. What we wanted to do with this project didn’t involve throwing material at you like you get frequently with “kiloplastic” projects. As fun as they may be it’s not something we could do with R5. Instead we wanted to tread the path of a very high quality and polished game that provided an almost luxury and immersive experience which, based on the feedback we’ve had, I believe we managed. Great artwork, a solid app, quality components and production value…In all I think we got that and I’m still adamant that anyone who has had the chance get the game in their hands, play it, and see just what it can do hasn’t been disappointed yet. But admittedly in the midst of all this we did omit a certain “value for money” that some come looking for on Kickstarter.

This is compounded by the fact that it’s “only” a 30 minute game. It is important for us to point out that a game session of Rising 5 rarely lasts “only” 30 minutes. Sure the game can act as a “filler”, it’s easy to learn and quick to set up but that doesn’t mean that’s all it does. If it were then we wouldn’t have put this much work and material in to it. The game is designed to be the “final 30 minutes of a much longer game” as one of our players from Essen so eloquently put, providing a quick build up in tension and generally dramatic finish in the space of a 30min cooperative game. Now, in retrospect, we should have pushed this point more, not that we didn’t, but we should of insisted.

But I digress. Why am I telling you all this? Well that’s because this is how we see the project. But that’s not all that’s important. You guys are the one’s we’ve asked to help up make this project a reality and so your point of view counts too as well as all your feedback. You guys felt that there wasn’t enough value in the box and I have no problem recognising that and attempting to fix it. Now we hoped that the elements we developed and unlocked post-Spiel would be the tipping point for this sentiment but it seems that we’re still falling short so we’re going to come at you with some even more free stuff!

Before I tell you about these extra goodies I’d like to simply say that we are happy with the campaign thus far. We’re funded; the game will be made and, if all goes according to plan, delivered on time which is very important for us especially as this is our first project. We’re pleased with everything we’ve unlocked so far and even if we’re a bit under the top estimations for the campaign (bearing in mind that we weren’t expecting to raisehundreds of thousands with this project) we’re all still proud of the game we’re going to put out.

Now that that’s said, you can thank Mr. Dutrait for this one as it was he that approached (or rather messaged) me this morning with a proposal. You see, Vincent had gone ahead and drawn out the remaining corrupted monsters, which is cool but also a shame as he thought they may not get used in the end. So he proposed to finish them off in his free time for us so that we could offer them to you. I suppose you could call this his thank you from Spiel but it may be too late to call it that now

Now for the game this is great as it allows us to complete another part of the gameplay that we were very eager to get out there, that is to say the “Hard Mode”. The corrupted monsters we’d been releasing were all leading up to this. Basically you can now replace all the base monsters in the game with these more difficult ones that represent a more advanced stage of silk corruption.

Now on top of (hopefully) giving you more for your money, these should also reassure those that thought that the game may be too easy. The game already provided a good test of your gaming and cooperative skills before but now you’re in for one hell of a ride with fights being harder to organise in your favour and becoming a lot more action card hungry so you better not waste any!

We’re aware that the addition of 10 cards isn’t going to be enough for everyone but as I’ve said before we do stand by our project. This is more a gesture of good will, to show that we’re as invested in this campaign as all of you , that we really do listen to your feedback and try to make things better for you all where we can!

Once again, a big thank you for all you support these past weeks, we literally couldn’t have done this without you all. Things have been a bit disheartening this morning but I hope, as do many of you by the sounds of it, that the final 48hours will give us a good push in the right direction and make for an exciting finish!

Before I go, we received the 3d models for Eli and Nova this morning! I hope you like them! The rest should hopefully be here before the end of the campaign! Phew!

And finally, one of the corrupted monsters was the next SG so logically we’ve bumped that off and brought down the Trap Cards! These are there to add another layer of variety and difficulty to the game as not only do they have various debilitating effects but they don’t appear just once! After they are revealed you roll the combat dice and they have a chance to be reshuffled into the encounter deck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WhelpSlayer wrote:
This is compounded by the fact that it’s “only” a 30 minute game. It is important for us to point out that a game session of Rising 5 rarely lasts “only” 30 minutes. Sure the game can act as a “filler”, it’s easy to learn and quick to set up but that doesn’t mean that’s all it does. If it were then we wouldn’t have put this much work and material in to it. The game is designed to be the “final 30 minutes of a much longer game” as one of our players from Essen so eloquently put, providing a quick build up in tension and generally dramatic finish in the space of a 30min cooperative game. Now, in retrospect, we should have pushed this point more, not that we didn’t, but we should of insisted.

BGG says it's 20-40 minutes. Your Kickstarter page says it's just 15-25 minutes. If the game rarely lasts "only" 30 minutes then your description is completely wrong and that's why you are losing sales. I really don't understand the rest of what you wrote. Either it's a 30 minute game or it's not. It can't be both a 30 minute game and not a 30 minute game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Pinoteau
msg tools
DaviddesJ wrote:

BGG says it's 20-40 minutes. Your Kickstarter page says it's just 15-25 minutes. If the game rarely lasts "only" 30 minutes then your description is completely wrong and that's why you are losing sales. I really don't understand the rest of what you wrote. Either it's a 30 minute game or it's not. It can't be both a 30 minute game and not a 30 minute game.

That's all the point of the last KS news ... He says the game duration is 30 mins (which includes 15-25 mins or 20-40 mins, since every game can be faster or longer, right ?). Then he says you will probably try one or two more times during the same evening, cause the game is fast paced and easy to launch. So your total game session will be more around 1 hour.

Not really hard to understand despite English is not my native language ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, well, I like longer games more than I like playing a short game 2 or 3 times. Like a lot of other people. That's why I decided not to pledge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Johnson
France
Nancy
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
WhelpSlayer wrote:

Ok so I'll break it down for you. Basically, the BGG description is wrong. It's 15-25 minutes, my apologies I hadn't noticed, I'll update it now. The time we're talking about is tried and tested. However people generally tend to say 30mins anyway, I'm just going with that. Afterwards I'd be VERY surprised if this small discrepancy is actually losing us sales so to speak.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ponder Stibbons
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
I give myself very good advice, But I very seldom follow it. That explains the trouble that I'm always in.
mbmbmbmbmb
for another perspective, the ~30min playtime and fairly uncluttered setup fit a niche for my game group: the cafe closes in 45min, someone is tired of Codenames, and someone else is tired of Pandemic. plus, it's eye catching. it meets my standards and i look forward to playing it so i'm voting yes with my money. i may not be the deciding "vote" that nudges it into production, but this feeling of encouraging good products is why i kickstart.

i waited until today to pledge to better make sure that my first impression was lasting: the art and graphic design was so attractive that i couldn't trust my judgement on first glance. after some research it appears to be, for me, more deductive than random, and more game than pretty placemat.

i hope you don't get too discouraged watching the numbers flicker. not everyone has an opinion on apps and miniatures. maybe others took the same "star it and forget it" path to pledging i did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin G
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am most interested in all the ways to increase the difficulty of the game. All of the reviewers I watched touted the ingenuity of the game but indicated it was a bit too easy. So increasing the difficulty is of paramount importance to me. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WhelpSlayer wrote:
Ok so I'll break it down for you. Basically, the BGG description is wrong. It's 15-25 minutes, my apologies I hadn't noticed, I'll update it now. The time we're talking about is tried and tested. However people generally tend to say 30mins anyway, I'm just going with that. Afterwards I'd be VERY surprised if this small discrepancy is actually losing us sales so to speak.

Obviously I don't want to buy a 20-40 minute game then I'm going to want to buy a 15-25 minute game even less.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Johnson
France
Nancy
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmb
jgunnz wrote:
I am most interested in all the ways to increase the difficulty of the game. All of the reviewers I watched touted the ingenuity of the game but indicated it was a bit too easy. So increasing the difficulty is of paramount importance to me. Thanks.

Well in that case you’ll like a lot of the SG that we’ve unlocked during the campaign and especially all the hard mode monsters that we gave away yesterday as they will add a big chunk of challenge to the game!

DaviddesJ wrote:

Obviously I don't want to buy a 20-40 minute game then I'm going to want to buy a 15-25 minute game even less.

Oh I wasn’t trying to convince you to pledge. I think everyone got the message from your first post, it was for the benefit of anyone else reading this thread that I replied.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Johnson
France
Nancy
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmb
Rumbelow wrote:
for another perspective, the ~30min playtime and fairly uncluttered setup fit a niche for my game group: the cafe closes in 45min, someone is tired of Codenames, and someone else is tired of Pandemic. plus, it's eye catching. it meets my standards and i look forward to playing it so i'm voting yes with my money. i may not be the deciding "vote" that nudges it into production, but this feeling of encouraging good products is why i kickstart.

i waited until today to pledge to better make sure that my first impression was lasting: the art and graphic design was so attractive that i couldn't trust my judgement on first glance. after some research it appears to be, for me, more deductive than random, and more game than pretty placemat.

i hope you don't get too discouraged watching the numbers flicker. not everyone has an opinion on apps and miniatures. maybe others took the same "star it and forget it" path to pledging i did.

Well first of all thank you for your support, and your “vote” I can assure you that everyone counts in projects like these!

As for the numbers well it’s always a bit discouraging but we are pleased with how things have gone and even though yesterday started pretty bad, it bounced back very quickly (as we knew it would). I know what you mean about the "star it and forget it" method, even I do this with certain projects so trust me I’m not holding that against anyone x)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.