Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Shaerf
United States
Ferndale
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey there,

I am building my own board using the Hilsinki Website as my main port of call for help.

I have reached the stage of attaching inner and outer rims to the base and am completely lost as to how to get the wood not to snap.

Anyone have any advice?

Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Shmorong
Canada
Calgary
alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Dave

I plane the wooden strips to about 1/8 inch thick and about 4 feet long, I use 2 pieces for the inside they are held in place with pipe clamps and then glued and stapled to the gutter. When the glue is dried using more pipe clamps I glue the outside ring in place in 2 pieces. With the wood only 1/8 inch thick it should be able to bend around the gutter without snapping. I have used red oak, ash, maple and cherry with no problems. Just be carefull to make sure the wood has no big knots in it these spots will not bend and will snap. I hope this helps

Dennis

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. Boggs
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
I do mine similar to Dennis but use one piece on the inside and one piece on the outside. The inside is glued and nailed in place. I scarf over the ends and then cut through the overlap so that when I remove the waste, the pieces mate up.

The second piece is strictly glued on so no nails show. I use ratched style hand clamps all around the edge, at the end I scarf it again and cut. Usually it mates back up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Shaerf
United States
Ferndale
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you both! I'll give that a shot.

Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
Steam is the traditional way of bending wood for things like this. As mentioned above though if the wood is thin enough and you go slowly steam isn't needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Blaha
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
What a Terrible Night to Have a Curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
I soaked the strips in hot water by capping a PVC tube and placing the wood inside. After some time (10 minutes) I fixed the rails to the board perimeter and allowed them to cool, set, and dry. They kept their shape pretty well, very little bending required to glue on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Zollinhofer
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wet the rails, and then bent them around a metal pipe that I heated from the inside using a blowtorch. It actually worked pretty well... Once they were bent, I was able to glue them to the board and clamp them. If I did it again, I'd make sure the bend the ends really well as it has started to pull away from the board slightly where they attach at the seam.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Shaerf
United States
Ferndale
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the final product.
The outer rims were giving me such a headache that I have opted only for one layer (for better or for worse), but it seems to be okay!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Marr
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What do you use on the surface to allow a bit of slipperyness?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.