Gerhard Leßmann
Germany
Kronberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After my first play of Solarius mission, I am wondering about a couple of points in the rules.

At first, two questions where the rules look illogical to me, so I'm wondering whether I have misinterpreted.

(1) Concerning the "research space" for a die on the player board, the rule book says the player may either draw or play a progress card. The penalty for this is 1 contamination. The rule book later says, as a voluntary action, a player may draw two progress cards and discard one from his hand. This seems to be a much better way to get a progress card and does not involve a contamimation. What is the purpose of the research space?

(2) Progress card #18 is described as allowing to buy one action point for 2 SpaceBucks. However, even without this progress card, a player may buy additional action points for 2 SpaceBucks (pg 12 of the rules). From the wording of the regular action I would conclude he may buy multiple action points, whereas the progress card allows only to buy one. What is the advantage of the progress card action?

The last question is one where the rules are not clear in my opinion, but it could impact the game play significantly:

(3) If I buy resources using SpaceBucks or fuel (as "anytime action") and I want to spend these resources immediately, do I still need empty storage spaces in the respective technology row? Example: I want to build a space station with 3 and 2 resources in yellow and black. I have 2 dice of yellow and black each, and my yellow and black technology dice are both in column 1, so there is no empty storage space. Can I still build the space station using 2 StarBucks for the missing ressource?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
There's a shape called "The Golden Rectangle". Have you heard of it?
United States
Little Canada
Minnesota
flag msg tools
It refers to a rectangle that's approximately contstructed in the ratio of 9 to 16. The golden rectangle has several characteristics. Let's say I create a square within this shape. Then, this smaller rectangle that I just created will also be a
badge
golden rectangle. I make another square within that and the leftover is another golden rectangle. And I make a few more, and when I connect all the central points of these shapes it creates a spiral that continues forever. This is the "Golden Spin".
mbmbmbmbmb
1: Placing a die there let's you draw or play a card _in addition_ to the die action. Drawing cards as your voluntary action means you cannot move your ship or purchase drives that turn, because you may only do one voluntary action per turn. Any turn not spent moving your ship is points you're not earning.

2: See here. It let's you buy points in a single color different than the die you're using. You could use a brown die for your action and purchase some blue points to do the blue action as well.
Edit: To clarify this only applies to the turn you place a die there, it's not a passive effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Keller
Switzerland
Rüderswil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks golden cow.
1&2 are perfectly right.

3. Yes, you need an empty space to store your resources.

Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerhard Leßmann
Germany
Kronberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you both for the super quick reply.

Sorry that I had overlooked that the reply to question (2) was already given, but escaped my search.

I think golden cow's interpretation makes a lot of sense, and I am going to play it this way, but it is definitely not what the German rules say:

Quote:
... darf er je 2 SpaceBucks in 1 Aktionspunkt in der Farbe des abgelegten Würfels tauschen und sie zu den Aktionspunkten des hinzuzählen. ... Der Spieler führt dann die gewünschte Würfelaktion aus.

Which translate to:

Quote:
... he may exchange 2 SpaceBucks for one action point in the color of the placed die and add [them] to the action points. ... The player than performs the chosen die action.

In the English rule book, the translation is more ambigous and I'm sure golden cow's interpretation will work well with the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ode.
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Gerhard,

the german rulebooks text is wrong in this case. Sorry. Please see the symbols on the card. Place any die and buy any actions points.

I can give you an example: But have a black die and take fuel. Then you buy 2 points in brown for 4 spacebucks and shift two of your dice from the first to the second column.

Sorry for the mistake in the rules.

Best...ode.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerhard Leßmann
Germany
Kronberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Ode,

thanks - I am going to play it this way.

It is great that you and Mike take care and help players even "after sales" of the game. Thank you very much.

I am looking forward to my next game of Solarius Mission.

Regards
Gerhard

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.