$60.00
$20.00
Recommend
35 
 Thumb up
 Hide
24 Posts

Indonesia» Forums » Rules

Subject: Second edition erratum rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeroen Doumen
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Click to see this player's page
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dear Splotter customer,

In the rules, it is stated that you should use the wooden pieces to indicate plantations and the cardboard good tokens to indicate which items have been shipped to a city. Please do this the other way around: place the cardboard good tokens on the map to indicate plantations, and use the wooden tokens to indicate what you can ship and have shipped.

Joris & Jeroen
32 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen Doumen
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Click to see this player's page
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game does include cardboard materials as in the previous edition, and you can play the game without using the wooden pieces. It was our intention to use the wooden pieces as plantations on the map and move the cardboard pieces around. As you know, the wooden pieces turned out to be too big. At the Essen Fair, we played with the cardboard pieces as plantations (as in the first edition) and used the wooden pieces to indicate which cities had been supplied. This works very well, in fact the large pieces are better for this than smaller pieces would be. It is still possible to play with just the cardboard, as in the first edition, if that is your preference.
35 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Denison
United States
Ames
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmdsplotter wrote:
The game does include cardboard materials as in the previous edition, and you can play the game without using the wooden pieces. It was our intention to use the wooden pieces as plantations on the map and move the cardboard pieces around. As you know, the wooden pieces turned out to be too big. At the Essen Fair, we played with the cardboard pieces as plantations (as in the first edition) and used the wooden pieces to indicate which cities had been supplied. This works very well, in fact the large pieces are better for this than smaller pieces would be. It is still possible to play with just the cardboard, as in the first edition, if that is your preference.


Sounds fine to me. Any estimate on shipping? Its hard to be patient for one of the games you have been looking forward to all year but I will contain myself .
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Corson
United States
DFW
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! So excited to get this one!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Dusek
United States
Cypress
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eva01iastate wrote:
jmdsplotter wrote:
The game does include cardboard materials as in the previous edition, and you can play the game without using the wooden pieces. It was our intention to use the wooden pieces as plantations on the map and move the cardboard pieces around. As you know, the wooden pieces turned out to be too big. At the Essen Fair, we played with the cardboard pieces as plantations (as in the first edition) and used the wooden pieces to indicate which cities had been supplied. This works very well, in fact the large pieces are better for this than smaller pieces would be. It is still possible to play with just the cardboard, as in the first edition, if that is your preference.


Sounds fine to me. Any estimate on shipping? Its hard to be patient for one of the games you have been looking forward to all year but I will contain myself :).


Simply this ^

Thanks for the update and really interested in any news about shipping estimates.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Glimskog
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot for the info! Looking forward to receiving my copy :)

Cheers / Victor
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Arias
Spain
Granada
Granada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds a joke for me.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pas L
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
No good will come of this, mark my words!
badge
mbmb
How are we meant to track hull company?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen Doumen
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Click to see this player's page
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lamaros wrote:
How are we meant to track hull company?


It's by player color; the hull company track itself was left on the board for the cases you're using the white ships.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pas L
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
No good will come of this, mark my words!
badge
mbmb
What about when a player has two shipping companies in different colours?

Are they meant to use the back side of the ships? That's very hard to parse.

It's a real shame that this edition has these issues. The wooden pieces are not usable. The icons which were changed for the unusable wooden pieces are not easy to intuit, parse, nor suit the art style.

The cardboard chit colours are washed out and hard to diferentiate, the cardboard pieces now have a back side that says two for no reason at all.

There are now enough ships, except the player colour system is confusing to the game system, and laborious to track or change in game. Theyre also bigger and take up more space in the cramped board.

The poor icons are now all over the board too, so you can't even use the cardboard bits from the previous edition.

It's such an amazing game, but this reprint has only fixed some small errors from the previous one and has made many other things worse .

I'm still happy to own it, but I'll be waiting for a third edition that works right.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andi Hub
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lamaros wrote:
What about when a player has two shipping companies in different colours?

Are they meant to use the back side of the ships? That's very hard to parse.

That is what the rules say. There are three different ship icons on the chits. However, I appreciate very much that there is still the row "Hull Company" on the development table (which is actually redundant), such that you can use the colors for companies or buy wooden ships if you prefer these.
Quote:

It's a real shame that this edition has these issues. The wooden pieces are not usable. The icons which were changed for the unusable wooden pieces are not easy to intuit, parse, nor suit the art style.

I wonder what the rubber symbol actually shows. I would have preferred the old symbols and color pattern. (I do realize that it is not possible to have recognizable tokens with the old symbols).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pas L
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
No good will come of this, mark my words!
badge
mbmb
Yeah I think I'll be buying wooden ships, the player colour bit difficult to differentiate icons system is not a good one.

We discussed the rubber and decided it must be meant to be a stack of tyres. Why they decided that I'll never know.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex P
France
La Plaine St-Denis
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did a search for "raw rubber" https://www.google.fr/search?client=firefox-b-ab&biw=1680&bi...

Not sure if that helps...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andi Hub
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jesse Custer wrote:
Did a search for "raw rubber" https://www.google.fr/search?client=firefox-b-ab&biw=1680&bi...

Not sure if that helps...

If you do a picutre search for "natural rubber" (or in German "Kautschuk") you see pictures with some kind of (deep) pan put into the trees to gather the fluid and I thought the circle would somehow represent this (but the rest does for sure not look like a tree). Hence, pile of tires sounds about right to me, but the raw rubber sheets could be as well.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rollo Tomosi
United States
San Juan Capistrano
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This just sounds terrible. The 2 Splotter bros have never been known for making a game that works mechanically (items NEVER fit where they need to, maps are excruciatingly poor, cheap/flimsy cardboard, hard-to-differentiate color schemes etc etc) but that having been said-I sure as heck hope I can cancel my order for the reprint and just be happy with the sub-par first print I own.

lamaros wrote:
What about when a player has two shipping companies in different colours?

Are they meant to use the back side of the ships? That's very hard to parse.

It's a real shame that this edition has these issues. The wooden pieces are not usable. The icons which were changed for the unusable wooden pieces are not easy to intuit, parse, nor suit the art style.

The cardboard chit colours are washed out and hard to diferentiate, the cardboard pieces now have a back side that says two for no reason at all.

There are now enough ships, except the player colour system is confusing to the game system, and laborious to track or change in game. Theyre also bigger and take up more space in the cramped board.

The poor icons are now all over the board too, so you can't even use the cardboard bits from the previous edition.

It's such an amazing game, but this reprint has only fixed some small errors from the previous one and has made many other things worse :(.

I'm still happy to own it, but I'll be waiting for a third edition that works right.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenrick Fearn
France
Ruffec
Charente
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lamaros wrote:
What about when a player has two shipping companies in different colours?

Are they meant to use the back side of the ships? That's very hard to parse.

It's a real shame that this edition has these issues. The wooden pieces are not usable. The icons which were changed for the unusable wooden pieces are not easy to intuit, parse, nor suit the art style.

The cardboard chit colours are washed out and hard to diferentiate, the cardboard pieces now have a back side that says two for no reason at all.

There are now enough ships, except the player colour system is confusing to the game system, and laborious to track or change in game. Theyre also bigger and take up more space in the cramped board.

The poor icons are now all over the board too, so you can't even use the cardboard bits from the previous edition.

It's such an amazing game, but this reprint has only fixed some small errors from the previous one and has made many other things worse .

I'm still happy to own it, but I'll be waiting for a third edition that works right.


I agree 100% ...must be one of the worse reprint / updates ever ...I am finding it hard to remember another game that the 2nd Edition actually made it a worse game play experience ...very sad and very disappointing ...

So glad I kept my 1st Ed...I will use the new Board though ...that's about it ...

Ric
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rollo Tomosi
United States
San Juan Capistrano
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I won't go into details but this WHOLE thing has made me SERIOUSLY re-assess all things Splotter....and it aint good.

What improvements were made to the board in new ed?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malachi Brown
United States
Hermitage
TN
flag msg tools
It's turtles all the way down.
badge
“Questions are a burden to others; answers a prison for oneself.”
mbmbmbmbmb
Peisistratous wrote:
I agree 100% ...must be one of the worse reprint / updates ever ...I am finding it hard to remember another game that the 2nd Edition actually made it a worse game play experience ...very sad and very disappointing ...

Really?

Games where the reprint was worse than the original
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martins Livens
Latvia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Malachi wrote:
Peisistratous wrote:
I agree 100% ...must be one of the worse reprint / updates ever ...I am finding it hard to remember another game that the 2nd Edition actually made it a worse game play experience ...very sad and very disappointing ...

Really?

Games where the reprint was worse than the original


This list even mention "Caylus Limited edition" being worse reprint of regular editions, so who cares.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colm McCarthy
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dark_Knight wrote:
I won't go into details but this WHOLE thing has made me SERIOUSLY re-assess all things Splotter....and it aint good.

What improvements were made to the board in new ed?


Fair enough. I'll readily admit that I'm in the camp that finds the oversized wooden components ridiculous and unusable. But when I ordered Indonesia, as soon as Splotter announced the reprint, I was expecting a straight reprint (i.e. no new wooden bits) for (finally) an affordable price.

I'd already committed to replacing the cardboard chits with wooden cubes, as I prefer to play with them. So for me, the oversized bits were just a bonus anyway - a useless bonus perhaps, depending on your take, but certainly nothing that was making me feel somehow ripped off by Splotter. I thought I was paying for a straight reprint, remember?

I really like the new board. I'm in the camp that actually prefers the cardboard ships. The city stones are much better. The graphic design on the chits could be better IMHO, but I was always going to use cubes anyway, so it's a non-issue for me.

Happy camper here. I was more alarmed by my copy of TGZ missing two black cubes, so I had to play yellow for my first game. And yellow is, of course, an abomination (and no, for some bizarre reason I could not find two black replacement cubes at that moment).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rollo Tomosi
United States
San Juan Capistrano
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2nd request-what changes were made to the board in Indonesia?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colm McCarthy
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dark_Knight wrote:
2nd request-what changes were made to the board in Indonesia?


I can't do a side by side, as the only 1st edition I've played belongs to a friend, but here goes...The straight horizontal and vertical lines have been removed, leaving only the blue sea boundary lines. Some of the sea area boundaries along the lower section have been tweaked (the one going through Bali is pushed further east, and the long horizontal boundary above Bali etc has been pushed further north so there's a bit more room. The board's also printed a tad darker. Nothing huge, but I find it more legible than the original.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucien Copus
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
colmmccarthy wrote:
Dark_Knight wrote:
2nd request-what changes were made to the board in Indonesia?


I can't do a side by side, as the only 1st edition I've played belongs to a friend, but here goes...The straight horizontal and vertical lines have been removed, leaving only the blue sea boundary lines. Some of the sea area boundaries along the lower section have been tweaked (the one going through Bali is pushed further east, and the long horizontal boundary above Bali etc has been pushed further north so there's a bit more room. The board's also printed a tad darker. Nothing huge, but I find it more legible than the original.


The irony being of course that the first map didn't look how they expected and they had to write a section in the rule book explaining the border around Bali, which they were then able to fix in the new version.

Sounds familiar
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wardell
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
May 25
badge
I think you ought to know I'm feeling very depressed.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dark_Knight wrote:
2nd request-what changes were made to the board in Indonesia?


2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.