$5.00
$15.00
$20.00
Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
24 Posts

A Feast for Odin» Forums » Rules

Subject: Field Farmer rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Boberson
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was playing a solo game yesterday and got this occupation card. It allows you to ...pay 1 silver to exchange a single goods tile for a more valuable one: up to two times, you can exchange the good for another that is located diagonally above to the right of it in the goods boxes". It then gives two examples that make sense to me.

If I have a whale meat tile can I upgrade it to a silver hoard tile?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
There's a shape called "The Golden Rectangle". Have you heard of it?
United States
Little Canada
Minnesota
flag msg tools
It refers to a rectangle that's approximately contstructed in the ratio of 9 to 16. The golden rectangle has several characteristics. Let's say I create a square within this shape. Then, this smaller rectangle that I just created will also be a
badge
golden rectangle. I make another square within that and the leftover is another golden rectangle. And I make a few more, and when I connect all the central points of these shapes it creates a spiral that continues forever. This is the "Golden Spin".
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't see the iconography, but I assume it looks like the upgrade spaces in the "Trade" section of the action board. If that's the case, then no, you must upgrade two goods you already have. You cannot upgrade one good and then upgrade that same good again.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Boberson
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
golden_cow2 wrote:
I can't see the iconography, but I assume it looks like the upgrade spaces in the "Trade" section of the action board. If that's the case, then no, you must upgrade two goods you already have. You cannot upgrade one good and then upgrade that same good again.


Ah, you misunderstand. I know I can definitely upgrade the same good tile two times. The two examples they give are upgrading beans to 'skin and bones', or cabbage to robe. The problem is this diagonal thing in the goods boxes. (The icon on the card is a grid with two diagonal arrows going upwards to the right). If I apply this diagonal rule to the whale meat tile it would be the tile in the tray to the right of the silver hoard tile, but the last tray in the goods box is the silver hoard tile, so I am assuming that's the tile I can upgrade to.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I would have ruled for myself that I can't upgrade because there is no tile diagonally up and to the right. But that is a good question. Maybe the appendix needs an extra line of clarification for this case.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Boberson
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GAFBlizzard wrote:
I would have ruled for myself that I can't upgrade because there is no tile diagonally up and to the right. But that is a good question. Maybe the appendix needs an extra line of clarification for this case.


Maybe you can upgrade the whale meat to the clothing tile only, because it says 'up to two times'. That would be upgrading one tile diagonally upwards once.

*Edit
But now that I think about it does that then mean that you can upgrade two tiles upwards diagonally one time each?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Meiklejohn
msg tools
Although the Appendix doesn't specify, the iconography of the card would suggest you can only upgrade orange goods (as the upgrade background is orange) and the name 'Field Farmer' would seem to back that up too. Regardless, I think you'd have to respect the physical confines of the box and then only do half of the "up to two times". (If my reading is correct this would only matter for the fruit, which you could only change for a cattle).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Boberson
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Omegathnd wrote:
Although the Appendix doesn't specify, the iconography of the card would suggest you can only upgrade orange goods (as the upgrade background is orange) and the name 'Field Farmer' would seem to back that up too. Regardless, I think you'd have to respect the physical confines of the box and then only do half of the "up to two times". (If my reading is correct this would only matter for the fruit, which you could only change for a cattle).


That makes a lot of sense. Thanks.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt R
Belgium
Gellik
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
From the Appendix:

... a single farm product goods tile (orange tile) ...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Gr4v3 wrote:
From the Appendix:

... a single farm product goods tile (orange tile) ...

Sorry I missed that, my fault.

So I guess the only question is whether fruit can upgrade to clothing or merely to cattle.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Boberson
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gr4v3 wrote:
From the Appendix:

... a single farm product goods tile (orange tile) ...


That's not the exact wording in the appendix I have in front of me. The exact wording is as follows:

"When you play this card, you can immediately (and only once via this card) pay 1 silver to exchange a single goods tile for a more valuable one: up to two times, you can exchange the good for another that is located diagonally above to the right of it in the goods boxes. (For instance, you could exchange beans for "skin and bones" via salt meat, or cabbage for robe via sheep.)

The question remains though. If we assume that it's restricted to the orange tiles what can you exchange the fruit for?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Rumplesink wrote:
Gr4v3 wrote:
From the Appendix:

... a single farm product goods tile (orange tile) ...


That's not the exact wording in the appendix I have in front of me. The exact wording is as follows:

"When you play this card, you can immediately (and only once via this card) pay 1 silver to exchange a single goods tile for a more valuable one: up to two times, you can exchange the good for another that is located diagonally above to the right of it in the goods boxes. (For instance, you could exchange beans for "skin and bones" via salt meat, or cabbage for robe via sheep.)

The question remains though. If we assume that it's restricted to the orange tiles what can you exchange the fruit for?

Are you going by the physical appendix or the online PDF appendix?

The PDF appendix for Field Farmer states:
"...to exchange a single farm product goods tile (orange tile) for a more valuable one..."

I agree the fruit question still remains.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Boberson
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GAFBlizzard wrote:
Are you going by the physical appendix or the online PDF appendix?


I have the physical appendix. I just looked at the PDF one though which does specify orange tile. Interesting. I suppose the PDF appendix would be the one to go by as it can be modified and updated when required. So that clears that up (the card does show an orange grid, which I missed and does suggest it's only orange tiles anyway).

For what it's worth my guess is that fruit can only be upgraded to cattle, which would be upgrading the tile once. I think that the fruit tile is the reason the text says you can do this action up to two times.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Moser
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rumplesink wrote:
I have the physical appendix. I just looked at the PDF one though which does specify orange tile. Interesting. I suppose the PDF appendix would be the one to go by as it can be modified and updated when required. So that clears that up (the card does show an orange grid, which I missed and does suggest it's only orange tiles anyway).

The background color is a hint, and the clarification in the PDF specifying Orange tiles is helpful, but the key is that the card specifies "farm product goods tile", which equals Orange. Red cards are "animal products".
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Kelly
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rumplesink wrote:

...
For what it's worth my guess is that fruit can only be upgraded to cattle, which would be upgrading the tile once. I think that the fruit tile is the reason the text says you can do this action up to two times.


The text says '...you can exchange the good for another that is located diagonally above to the right of it in the goods boxes.'

You can upgrade diagonally, but you don't have to. I think going from Fruit to Cloth would be a legal advancement for the Field Farmer. I'd think it would have say '...you must upgrade diagonally' if you had to always do it.

Sean
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
TimeOut wrote:
Rumplesink wrote:

...
For what it's worth my guess is that fruit can only be upgraded to cattle, which would be upgrading the tile once. I think that the fruit tile is the reason the text says you can do this action up to two times.


The text says '...you can exchange the good for another that is located diagonally above to the right of it in the goods boxes.'

You can upgrade diagonally, but you don't have to. I think going from Fruit to Cloth would be a legal advancement for the Field Farmer. I'd think it would have say '...you must upgrade diagonally' if you had to always do it.

Sean

I don't think there's any precedent for this in the game though. There are specifically cards that let you upgrade diagonally up and left, actions that specifically let you upgrade vertically up, and cards that let you specifically upgrade up and right.

There are benefits to each of these (upgrading to the upper left lets you fill in smaller gaps, so you don't get stuck with a giant tile that can't fit), and I suspect that's intentional.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Heeren
Germany
Eppstein-Bremthal
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Rumplesink wrote:

If I have a whale meat tile can I upgrade it to a silver hoard tile?

No, for two reasons:

1) The Field Farmer is intended to use for orange (farm) tiles only.

2) You have to perform the upgrade action exactly two times diagonally, e.g. Beans will become Skin & Bones. You can not use the card on Fruits.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Boberson
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nan3000 wrote:
...2) You have to perform the upgrade action exactly two times diagonally, e.g. Beans will become Skin & Bones. You can not use the card on Fruits.


I'm still a little confused about this bit. Why does it say up to two times?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Rumplesink wrote:
nan3000 wrote:
...2) You have to perform the upgrade action exactly two times diagonally, e.g. Beans will become Skin & Bones. You can not use the card on Fruits.


I'm still a little confused about this bit. Why does it say up to two times?

I have the same question.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Heeren
Germany
Eppstein-Bremthal
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Rumplesink wrote:
nan3000 wrote:
...2) You have to perform the upgrade action exactly two times diagonally, e.g. Beans will become Skin & Bones. You can not use the card on Fruits.


I'm still a little confused about this bit. Why does it say up to two times?

You are right, my apologies! You can use the upgrade only once and that allows you to use the card on the Fruits as well!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alexander stark
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good thread, I had the same question. I'm glad this one was already answered. But now I have one question regarding the up to two times expression and the action space on the board that allow you to upgrade 2 resources twice. Could I use it to upgrade from green to blue? Or couldn't I because I have to upgrade two times? The rules don't use the expression up to two times so I'm a little confused.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
alexandermagno wrote:
Good thread, I had the same question. I'm glad this one was already answered. But now I have one question regarding the up to two times expression and the action space on the board that allow you to upgrade 2 resources twice. Could I use it to upgrade from green to blue? Or couldn't I because I have to upgrade two times? The rules don't use the expression up to two times so I'm a little confused.

I am bumping this thread because the same question came up in another thread and I am unaware of a ruling.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adhil Patel
South Africa
Cape Town
Western Cape
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rulebook is clear on this (the action space to double upgrade 2 goods). On page 16 it says: "you may exchange an orange good for a green one, or a red good for a blue one."

I would rule that you cannot upgrade green to blue using this space.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alexander stark
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rulebok doesn't say you can't do it. It only gives you examples, maybe the example I gave is legal.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TonyKR
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
alexandermagno wrote:
The rulebok doesn't say you can't do it. It only gives you examples, maybe the example I gave is legal.

Except what you gave isn't an example – what you listed are the rules for that space. If it was an example, it would be in italics and begin with "For example...", like the other instances of examples throughout the rulebook.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.