Descent: Journeys in the Dark» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: Quest 1: Into the Dark rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lanabound
Canada
flag msg tools
"Which fools dare enter my lair?"

Enjoy your adventure, heroes Eric, Nathan, and Luke! Instructions in red.

1. Each hero please picks one of the following randomly drawn heroes and randomly drawn skill set. First post, first pick!
2. As per normal rules, you may select one skill and redraw it. (Or keep what you have if you're happy.)
3. We will proceed to shopping when you are all satisfied.

Knight: When you declare a Battle action, you may immediately spend 2 fatigue to gain movement points equal to half your speed (round up) and may make 3 attacks instead of 2 this turn.
Master Archer: When making a Ranged attack, you gain 2 free surges.
Precision: You may ignore 1 figure or obstacle when tracing line of sight for a Ranged or Magic attack.

Alertness: When an enemy figure moves into a space adjacent to you, you may spend 2 fatigue to immediately make 1 attack against that figure. You may do this once each time an enemy figure moves into an adjacent space.
Holy Aura: You have the Aura ability.
Willpower: You gain +1 Armor against Magic attacks.

Blessing: You have the Command ability.
Quick Casting: After making a Magic attack, you may immediately spend 2 fatigue and exhaust this card to make 1 additional attack with the same weapon this turn.
Vampiric Blood: You gain 1 fatigue each time you deal the killing blow to an enemy figure. If the figure is Undying, you do not gain fatigue unless the figures stays dead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Dallaire
Canada
Jonquière
Québec
flag msg tools
Live from Jonquière Beach!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will choose Landric the Wise
And since it's my fisrt time and i don't know any of the skills i will keep them :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Butler
Canada
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll take Truthseer Kel and keep skills as is!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Faulkner
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are we only doing base game with no expansions? If so, then is there any chance we can get a new character instead of Truthseer Kel. Her power to bypass Shadowcloak will not be useful until Altar of Despair monsters are introduced.

If we are doing expansions, which ones? IE Feats, Treachery?

Edit: I will take Bogran and replace Parry please.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Butler
Canada
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We can ignore that part of her ability. She still ignores line of sight!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Dallaire
Canada
Jonquière
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok so here is my first (of surely many) question about Descent V1.

I've read the PDF about the change between version but can't find the info anywhere.
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/138802/descent-1st-ed-and...

What is the number on the bottom left of the hero card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Butler
Canada
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PopolDal wrote:
Ok so here is my first (of surely many) question about Descent V1.

I've read the PDF about the change between version but can't find the info anywhere.
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/138802/descent-1st-ed-and...

What is the number on the bottom left of the hero card?

The heroes conquest value. We lose that much conquest when that hero dies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Dallaire
Canada
Jonquière
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lanabound
Canada
flag msg tools
Nathan...that is, Bogran... your replacement skill for Parry is Knight. I've edited the opening post. This is a good fighting skill for you, as it works with any weapon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lanabound
Canada
flag msg tools
Eric... Or should I say, Landrec... you posted first, so you are the first hero. You begin your journey by gearing up in the city of Tamalir. You bring in your wallet 300 coins. Landrec, you get to shop for your starting equipment first!

Spend up to 300 coins on gear. Please post what you buy. Other heroes, please wait until Landrec is finished. (You can still post stuff, but just let him get first dibs on the goods!)

All the items you can buy are on this page. Or, of course, look through your deck at home. You can buy any quantity of anything, as long as you can carry it and the shop deck doesn't run out.
http://www.descentinthedark.com/_s_/shop_items.php

We aren't playing with any expansions, so you can only buy items labelled "JITD."

Remember, you can equip 2 hands, 1 armor, 2 "other," and 3 potions, plus hold 3 items in your pack. You can buy whatever you can carry in your equip slots or in your pack.

Weapons/Shields: In the first edition, each weapon rolls either a red die (melee), or blue (ranged), or white (magic). In addition, weapons also roll green (extra damage) or yellow (extra range). Finally, your hero adds additional power dice (black) based on your talents in a particular weapon type. Although Landrec can use any weapon, you roll 3 black power dice in magic. So, you're probably going to ignore the melee and ranged weapons.

Your choices for magic weapons are either the immolation rune (200 coins) or the mage staff (150 coins). Immolation is stronger because it rolls a green die, but the mage staff travels farther because it rolls a yellow die. Otherwise, they are identical. Most heroes would pick the immolation rune, but you might actually consider the mage staff, because you have 3 power dice plus your ability giving you two free surges. That talent all makes up for the lack of damage from the weapon itself, in exchange for more range.

As a class, magic weapons are all two-handed, so you can't use them alongside a shield. You can buy an Iron Shield if you wish (25 coins), but there are only two, so it's probably better to save them for someone else.

Armor: You can pick either the leather armor (50 coins) or the chain mail (100 coins). The chain is better but it slows you down to speed 4 and, as with all heavy armor, you can't equip runes like immolation. However, consider your speed is actually already lower than 4, so the chain mail won't have an additional speed penalty on you. Plus, if you actually do use the mage staff, the anti-rune effect won't matter.

Accessories: The only accessory ("Other") item in the basic shop deck is the Ghost Armor rune (150 coins). Remember, you can't equip this if you wear heavy armor like the chainmail. This accessory allows you to use your fatigue to soak up wounds. It's pretty expensive, so if you buy this along with the Mage Staff, you're not going to be able to buy anything else.

Potions: Healing potions restore 3 wounds each and vitality potions will restore all your fatigue. There are 9 of each potion available in the shop. Each potion costs 50 coins.

Any unspent coins are saved for later. You can't trade money with other heroes. You'll be able to return to the Tamalir city shop as you explore the dungeon. In fact, when you return later, the shop will start selling better items and you can even buy weapon or skill training.

(To Nathan, yes even though we are only playing base, Kel's ability to see through obstacles is still pretty good I think!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Dallaire
Canada
Jonquière
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Landrec will buy:
Mage staff (150)
Leather armor (50)
Healing potion (50)

Balance 50

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lanabound
Canada
flag msg tools
Thank you, Landrec.
Luke...er, Kel... please select your gear next.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Butler
Canada
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lanabound wrote:
Thank you, Landrec.
Luke...er, Kel... please select your gear next.

Kel will take Immolation and 1 vitality Potion. Leaving her with 50 gold.

Eric and Nathan keep in mind I have Command when choosing items!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lanabound
Canada
flag msg tools
The Tamalir markets thank you for your patronage, Kel.
Bogran, please browse our products!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Faulkner
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bogran chooses

Crossbow (150)
Iron Shield (25)
Leather Armor (50)
Vitality Potion (50)

Total 275.

Edit: Slight equipment change

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Butler
Canada
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since we are only playing with 3 heroes, I think I'd like a Leather Armor as well.

Immolation (200)
Leather Armor (50)
Vitality Potion (50)

If it's too late that's okay, I'll buy it the first time I die!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Butler
Canada
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric and Nathan, do you guys want to set up a google hangouts or some other way to communicate as duhtch suggested?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lanabound
Canada
flag msg tools
If you set up a hero discussion thread, I promise not to look! Or do a Google.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Dallaire
Canada
Jonquière
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No i don't think the Hangout will be necessary at the start.
If we need it along the way we can still set-up it later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lanabound
Canada
flag msg tools
Introducing our heroes!

Well, what have we here? Three heroes preparing for adventure in the city of Tamalir?

Landrec the Wise is a powerful wizard in both offense and defense. He brings to this quest significant talent in magic attacks, through both his unique ability and his weapon training. Defensively, enemies won't dare to move adjacent to him, with both aura and alertness! The willpower skill also provides some resistance to magic attacks. A little slow, but a sturdy build.

The party bows to their friend and leader Truthseer Kel, her divine blessing giving her command and inspiration to her friends. Kel is a respectable commander as well, since her offensive magic skills are formidable. Able to shoot through obstacles and figures, Kel also has the deadly combination of Quick Casting and Vampiric Blood. She can kill monsters to drain their stamina and fuel her own quick casting! A blessed vampire...very interesting!

Bogran the Shadow is our assassin. He comes to this quest a knight, but has set aside his noble visage for that of a dark stalker. Popping out of corners to shoot unsuspecting foes for added damage, Bogran's skills as a knight let him make extra attacks with his crossbow. Knights need not only use sword and board! Of course, Bogran is a master archer with impeccable precision: his ranged attacks are powerful and he can see past things most people can't.

A blessed vampire wizard leader...a knight archer assassin...and an immovable, alert mage...these are our heroes descending into the dark!

CONQUEST: 5
Landrec the Wise (Eric):
Stats: HP 12/12, Fatigue 5/5, Armor 0(+1), Speed 3
Equipped: Mage Staff, Leather Armor, Healing Potion (1)
Pack: Empty
Coins: 50

Truthseer Kel (Luke):
Stats: HP 12/12, Fatigue 4/4, Armor 1(+1), Speed 4
Equipped: Immolation, Leather Armor, Vitality Potion (1)
Coins: 0

Bogran the Shadow (Nathan):
Stats: HP 8/8, Fatigue 4/4, Armor 1(+1), Speed 5
Equipped: Crossbow, Iron Shield, Leather Armor, Vitality Potion (1)
Coins: 25
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lanabound
Canada
flag msg tools
You were sitting by the fire in the Salty Dog tavern when an old man, seeing great potential in you, hands you a map of a dungeon. The leader is Narthak the Giant. Your goal is...what else? Enter his lair, kill Narthak, and take his treasure! Why? To prove you can, of course! Well, specifically that old man wants you to. He says you might meet again if you kill Narthak. Worth it, right?

Heroes, to speed up the game, you have been randomly assigned to the starting spaces. In future quests where it matters, you can pick yourself.

The OL draws 3 cards and starts with 0 threat.

Hero Instructions:
1. Select one hero to take his first turn.
2. The hero declares his action (Battle, Run, Advance, or Ready). If Bogran declares Battle, he has to decide at this time if he is using Knight.
3. The hero should trace his movement path exactly (e.g. V2-V3-etc.) to help the OL decide where to play traps.
4. Indicate if you are using any fatigue.
5. When you open the door, please pause, post what you have done, and wait for me.
6. No need to update the map; I'll do that later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Dallaire
Canada
Jonquière
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very good job on the introduction and the buying gear text by the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Dallaire
Canada
Jonquière
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok guys i suggest we make important decision via a majority vote.
Since we are 3 when 2 agree we can go with it.

I vote that someone other than me make the first activation since i'm not sure to completly understand the action flow. (So if someone else want to start that 2 vote no need to wait for a 3rd vote majority win)

I've got problem with Advance(move speed and attack once) and Ready (move speed or attack and place an aim, dodge, guard, or rest order). What's the reason to use Advance when with Ready you can do the same (move+attack) but with other possible option if you don't need to attack. Surely there somethnig i don't see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Dallaire
Canada
Jonquière
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rereading my question i think i've answered myself.

Advance= MOVE + ATTACK

Ready= (MOVE or ATTACK) + (AIM or DODGE or GUARD or REST)

Is that it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lanabound
Canada
flag msg tools
PopolDal wrote:
Very good job on the introduction and the buying gear text by the way.

Thank you, Kel. The overlord likes to describe his heroes before he destroys them! [insert evil laugh here]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [22] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.