Kristopher Hickman
United States
St. Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Gaming Unplugged since... 2016
mbmbmbmbmb
I was first introduced to designer board games a few years ago and began my own collection this past February. While initially my collection grew at a inexplicable rate, I have since tapered down my acquisition disorder to 1 or less new games a month. I have put in place several parameters for buying new games, namely that I must have played the most recently purchased game before I look for more and that expansions can only be bought for a game after 15 plays. I have either played or acquired most of the traditional gateway style games.

Here is my collection, including some of the traditional family games that we had carried over from my parents such as Battleship and Yahtzee.

In the next few months, my birthday, Christmas and wedding anniversary all loom. While I have some games listed on the wishlist, please feel free to make any observations or reccomendations you see fit.

What is my collection missing?

Is there some key expansion that I "must" have?

My wife is my most frequent game partner, and is attracted more to games with heavy long term strategy with limited player interaction. She doesn't mind taking the spots I need or being handed mandatory quests in Lords of Waterdeep, but she was absolutely not a fan of Kahuna- too much "take that." She also is turned off by games that are heavily text reliant or have unique (as she would say, "unfair") scoring mechanisms. She wants to win because she played the most efficient game. Ultimately whatever game I get must be a winner with her, because she is my best shot at getting it to the table consistently. It is for this reason that I have held off on games like Blood Rage or Kemet, I feel that the miniatures and theme would turn her off.

The game can be a classic or the new hotness. It's early enough in my gaming "career" that I haven't been exposed to much, so any game is a new one to me.

If pressed, I really want to get a heavier game. Something impressive that makes you work mentally and gives you a sense of achievement when it's over- win or lose.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Here's a "Clue": Col.Muster with "Axis & Allies" in the Parlour with a "Dicetower"!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
There's really no wrong way to use a margarita pool
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
mbmbmbmbmb
Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization is an incredible and heavy game. The wars and aggressions can feel like a bit much at first but the peaceful game is a varient that is still quite good. That is the one I would recommend for sure.

Caylus is a great heavy euro and one of the only action drafting (worker placement) games I actually like.

I would highly recommend getting Dominion: Seaside and Dominion: Prosperity. Dominion: Intrigue and some of the others are also quite good.

Roads & Boats is great for long term planning and is a great heavy game. I am not sure if it is currently in print or not. I would recommend this a little before Food Chain Magnate because FCM can feel high on the take that while Roads and Boats can be set up as both players on there own island or on a shared island. That makes it so that interaction amount is variable.

I would highly recommend trying Dungeon Lords. It is an excellent heavy euro and I think that it is superb for 2 players. There are some issues with luck but those generally only come up if you make risky choices which are not necessary to play well. She may perceive the luck to be overly negative though so it may be a play before you pay deal.

Many will recommend others in the top ten: Agricola (I just don't dig that one but it is a beloved title) or Twilight Struggle I didn't like the dice rolling and the theme was a tough sell for my wife. Those may be perfect for you though so...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dejun King
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I will recommend my all time favorite game Concordia. It has a great way of making you feel good about the decisions you make, the turns per player are quick and scoring only happens at the end of the game so no one is left feeling like there is no way of winning half way through the game. Also for those days where its just you and your wife at home and the feeling for gaming strikes Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small or Arboretum are a couple of games my wife and I enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Collin Pastorius
United States
Great Mills
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my our favorite games is Suburbia. Great game with different goals (both public and hidden) in each play. And we always feel a sense of accomplishment when we're finished.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holger Doessing
Denmark
Odense
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I sorted your collection according to your ratings, and the very first thing that occurred to me was: "Why doesn't he have neither The Resistance: Hidden Agenda & Hostile Intent, or Lords of Waterdeep: Scoundrels of Skullport, or any of the many expansions for Dominion?"

Our gaming likes are not too different (so perhaps look at my collection for inspiration?).

You both may be interested in Viticulture (although you might find it too similar to Lords of Waterdeep?). It also offers a great expansion - Tuscany: Expand the World of Viticulture - but check the game's forum before buying; the game has been revised, released with parts of Tuscany, re-released with other parts and so on. A bit complicated, but the designer-publisher is always eager to help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mattias jansson
Sweden
Oskarshamn
flag msg tools

You dont have pandemic, its a must have and i havent played it with anyone that have not liked it.

My wife reelly likes it, and its my favourite game of all time.

If you dont have a problem with the lack of replay ability, Pandemic Legacy is fantastic.

//Mattias
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
Given your description of your wife's preferences, and the fact that you don't have any medium-heavy games, then the obvious suggestion is Fields of Arle. It is beautiful, has cute animeeples, and is very strategic with low conflict.

also, +Concordia, BUT you will probably want to also get the Britannia map expansion, or the Salsa expansion to enhance your 2 player games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Clark
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Your wife sounds similar to my partner who likes a game she can come up with a strategy and execute it... with some but somewhat indifferent player interaction.

Her favourite game is Istanbul, which is all about being as efficient as possible with your moves, it is quite light (only takes an hour) but seems to fit a lot of what you said you are looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quill65 wrote:
Given your description of your wife's preferences, and the fact that you don't have any medium-heavy games, then the obvious suggestion is Fields of Arle. It is beautiful, has cute animeeples, and is very strategic with low conflict.

This is what I was going to suggest. Sounds like it fits everything your wife wants in a game as well as your desire for something on the heavy side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Challie Coppel
United States
Huntsville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Castles of Burgundy,Terra Mystica. These are two to check out. Two of our favorites and in the top 10 and might fit your needs. Castles plays great at 2,3 or 4 players. Terra Mystica is best with 3-4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher Hickman
United States
St. Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Gaming Unplugged since... 2016
mbmbmbmbmb
Always interesting to see how these things pan out.

Since this post we have accumulated a host of games:

Own and love Terra Mystica. One game she'll always play with me.
We both enjoy Viticulture: Essential Edition.
She hates The Castles of Burgundy, but I do love it.
Pandemic was purchased and played fervently for a while, but is now gathering dust.

Ironically, Blood Rage was a Christmas gift and has been a consistent winner for our group.
Scythe was a birthday gift and that too has seen lots of gameplay.
My wife bought both, has yet to play either.

She absolutely loves 5-Minute Dungeon, which I kickstarted and received this year.

Ethnos received a "meh" from her, which crushed me.

The other major game to see the table was Zombicide: Black Plague.

It's funny to see how things change. A year ago I was so concerned about being able to play games with my wife. Now, I have consistent group of guys looking for 1,2,3 game nights a week and my schedule is full. My wife just isn't into games. And that's okay. She'll humor me at least once a week and usually completely overwhelm me in points. But now my collection has gone to match the tastes of my group over that of my spouse. This has resulted in less games to be sorry about and more games being played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.