Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
MGAC California
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
During our game last weekend, we had a question about a situation that happened a twice.

After and 'Evil Stirs' card, a Shoggoth spawned directly on a gate location.

Does this immediately trigger an Awakening Event, or does the Shoggoth sit there and wait for a card to be turned over with one of the special 'shoggoths move' symbols?

For that matter...do Awakening Events happen as soon as a Shoggoth reaches a gate, or is it only when a 'shoggoth moves' symbol is revealed on a card AFTER the Shoggoth has reached the gate?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awakening happens when shoggoth is already on the gate location and you get a move icon. So for this reason a shoggoth that spawns on a gate does not immediately trigger an awakening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGAC California
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you. We thought so, but I wanted to make sure our radar was pinging correctly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
XDarkAngelX wrote:
Awakening happens when shoggoth is already on the gate location and you get a move icon. So for this reason a shoggoth that spawns on a gate does not immediately trigger an awakening.

Are you implying that the awakening doesn't happen as soon as the Shoggoth hits the gate, but rather it happens the next time there is a move action?

We may have been playing on hard mode.
No wonder we can't beat this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
isellsunshine wrote:
XDarkAngelX wrote:

Are you implying that the awakening doesn't happen as soon as the Shoggoth hits the gate, but rather it happens the next time there is a move action?

correct. the shoggoth doesn't cause awakening upon reaching the gate. an extra move must be triggered. (but changing this rule is an easy way to increase the difficulty.) (though I would require a minimum of 1 move so that shoggoths spawned on gates don't trigger immediately)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan M
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 8 of the rules, under "Shoggoths move" states:

If a Shoggoth on an open gate would need to move, remove it from the board, returning it to the supply, and an awakening ritual occurs instead.

It seems pretty clear to me. Shoggoths moving onto a gate don't cause an awakening. Only Shoggoths which are already on a gate, and you turn a card saying they need to move.

Think of it like a Shoggoth moving to a gate, and then moving THROUGH it. It is moving THROUGH the gate that causes an awakening, not just arriving at the same location of the gate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
isellsunshine wrote:

I made the same mistake for the first few games, it seems like a lot of people do. Even playing it correctly I still find Shoggoths spawn and then pop out the gates in the following Summoning step with annoying frequency, but at least you can use relics to prevent it. Except when Hastur turns up - I hate that guy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.