$20.00
Louis Brenton
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all!

When I was newer to BGG, someone helped me get enough for an avatar, & I like to occasionally bless others by helping them in a similar way.

So, the first two people to post here will get 30 for a new avatar, on the following conditions:

1. You don't already have enough for an avatar. People who take advantage of other people's generosity are thumbsdown

2. You have been on BGG less than one year.

3. You post the names of your current top 3 favorite games, with one or two sentences about why you like them. I'm always glad to have my horizons broadened by the opinions of other people in our hobby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ellsworth
United States
Portland
Maine
flag msg tools
mb
Most of my playing right now is head-to-head.

1. 7 Wonders: Duel - Like the head-to-head aspect, seems to be plenty of strategy as well for a fairly light (easy?) game.
2. Settlers of Catan - Same story as many I bet, real entry-way game that got me into the hobby.
3. Hive - I never liked chess all that much (or maybe I just didn't like losing). For some reason this game just clicked with me. I like the abstract nature, but there's clearly a TON going on.

I'm sure this list will change as some of my new orders/additions get some more time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miz Moto
Canada
Delta
B. C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Most of my game play is with my sons, but I have recently been introduced to some friendly although occasional game groups:

1. Food Chain Magnate: love that it is easy to learn but very difficult to master and that there are so many different ways to strategize. In particular, enjoy maximizing the use of my employee tree. I am looking to get more Splotter titles just from my FCM love!

2. Alchemists: really enjoy the deduction aspect of this game and it also reminds me of my post-grad days at university.

3. Power Grid: one of my first Euro games, not sure if I like the auctions or the area control aspect the best but I love me some uranium.

I am so inept at tech that I am pretty sure I have 0 GG since I haven't earned any but in case some Santa has gifted me, please forgive me - it wasn't intentional.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rose
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
"And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." - Khalil Gibran
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadawn wrote:
I am so inept at tech that I am pretty sure I have 0 GG since I haven't earned any but in case some Santa has gifted me, please forgive me - it wasn't intentional.

It looks like you gathered 30GG via "No Geek Left Behind... (How to get an Avatar)". So you already have enough for an avatar! Just go to your profile and click "Buy Avatar".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rose
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
"And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." - Khalil Gibran
mbmbmbmbmb
Sean, it looks like someone had been kind to you on your first BGG post and gave you your 30GG too.

(Sorry for intruding. I just got curious after Miz's post.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miz Moto
Canada
Delta
B. C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the heads up - I just posted to the other forum yesterday or the day before. OP, please give your wonderful gold to another worthy newbie. Yay, I get to play with the grown ups now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
Blue Mountains
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have some geek gold already courtesy of roll the dice, but my balance stands at about 2. and I have yet to reach 30 in total. I bought some microbadges with the rest.

1. Arboretum. I love the complexity and thinkyness that comes out of simple rules with just a few twists. And it is beautiful.

2. TtR Nordic. Though right now I am playing Marklin more. Again simple rules but with a tension that comes through because of the tightness of the map. With marklin, I love the train cards - every one unique, and love the addition of the passengers. However that aspect is marred by the poor implementation of the merchandise. Will go back to Nordic once the new shine goes off Marklin.

3. 7 Wonders Duel I love the multiple paths to victory and the fact that there is very little luck. You need to be constantly aware of what the other player is doing too. Or you will suddenly find you have lost to a technology victory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ellsworth
United States
Portland
Maine
flag msg tools
mb
anjulka wrote:
Sean, it looks like someone had been kind to you on your first BGG post and gave you your 30GG too.

(Sorry for intruding. I just got curious after Miz's post.)

Thanks for pointing this out. I knew I had gotten a bit, but for some reason I must have misread it and not thought it was enough. Avatar here I come.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico Solitander
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to highjack the thread but for those eventually left behind you can always head over to the No Geek Left Behind thread hhttps://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/24037825 where communalists fight the patriarchy of the geek gold economy by falling over themselves in who can give away geekgold faster for avatars. Same goes for would be communalists with extra gold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Weber
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, cool. I just really started being active on BGG this last month. I think I officially registered in May? I've started logging plays and expanding my collection. I bought 6 or so games this last month? It helps that my birthday was just this last Saturday I am really enjoying all of the reviews and incites to help get me interested in more games. It won't help by wallet though. I just discovered Gloomhaven and now I have to consider ordering it. While I like a wide assortment of games, I am currently favoring heavy thematic dungeon crawly/mythos games.

My top games are very much in flux as I refine my tastes and expand my horizons.

1. Mansions of Madness 2nd Ed. - I really enjoy the mythos and theme of the game. I feel that the story really comes out in the game play. I enjoy co-op and horror theme games. The app makes set up and play really easy and you don't have to wait until halfway through the game for the action to start (Betrayal - previous favorite game, but I still really enjoy it)

2.The Ravens of Thri Sahashri - This is my favorite 2 player game right now because my wife is willing to play it. I'm trying to get her more into gaming so I can play more often. It has an interesting story about a girl who has lost her memory and a boy who is trying to repair it. It is a challenging puzzly type card game. The girl in the coma doesn't have a lot to do, but that works out fine for my wife. It also has some progressive difficulty which we haven't experience yet, but as you win there are envelopes to open that make the next play through more difficult. I'm looking forward to that.

3.Nuns on the Run - I am also trying to get my kids more into gaming. I played this recently with my 2 oldest (10, 7) and a friend and a couple of his kids. We had a lot of fun being the Abbess and Prioress trying to catch the novices who are sneaking out of their rooms at night. The kids really enjoyed sneaking around the board trying to meet their objectives. I think it can be challenging for the kids because they have to keep track of movement without actually moving a piece. They record it on paper. However if they do it successfully the sneaking aspect seems to really appeal to them. I just hope they don't try to apply what they learned at home

I know my favorites will change often since there are so many great games out there that I have yet to experience!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis Brenton
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GregDarcy wrote:
I have some geek gold already courtesy of roll the dice, but my balance stands at about 2. and I have yet to reach 30 in total. I bought some microbadges with the rest.

1. Arboretum. I love the complexity and thinkyness that comes out of simple rules with just a few twists. And it is beautiful.

2. TtR Nordic. Though right now I am playing Marklin more. Again simple rules but with a tension that comes through because of the tightness of the map. With marklin, I love the train cards - every one unique, and love the addition of the passengers. However that aspect is marred by the poor implementation of the merchandise. Will go back to Nordic once the new shine goes off Marklin.

3. 7 Wonders Duel I love the multiple paths to victory and the fact that there is very little luck. You need to be constantly aware of what the other player is doing too. Or you will suddenly find you have lost to a technology victory.

Thanks for your reply, Greg, & welcome to BGG! 30 for you!

I'm familiar with TtR, but I've not played either Nordic or Marklin. Thanks for the recommendation.

I love 7 Wonders Duel & play it regularly.

I know almost nothing about Arboretum. Thanks for the recommendation! I'll look into it.

Enjoy your new avatar!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis Brenton
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nsolitander wrote:
Not to highjack the thread but for those eventually left behind you can always head over to the No Geek Left Behind thread hhttps://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/24037825 where communalists fight the patriarchy of the geek gold economy by falling over themselves in who can give away geekgold faster for avatars. Same goes for would be communalists with extra gold.

Your input is very welcome, Nico.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis Brenton
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Baconburgerdog wrote:
Wow, cool. I just really started being active on BGG this last month. I think I officially registered in May? I've started logging plays and expanding my collection. I bought 6 or so games this last month? It helps that my birthday was just this last Saturday I am really enjoying all of the reviews and incites to help get me interested in more games. It won't help by wallet though. I just discovered Gloomhaven and now I have to consider ordering it. While I like a wide assortment of games, I am currently favoring heavy thematic dungeon crawly/mythos games.

My top games are very much in flux as I refine my tastes and expand my horizons.

1. Mansions of Madness 2nd Ed. - I really enjoy the mythos and theme of the game. I feel that the story really comes out in the game play. I enjoy co-op and horror theme games. The app makes set up and play really easy and you don't have to wait until halfway through the game for the action to start (Betrayal - previous favorite game, but I still really enjoy it)

2.The Ravens of Thri Sahashri - This is my favorite 2 player game right now because my wife is willing to play it. I'm trying to get her more into gaming so I can play more often. It has an interesting story about a girl who has lost her memory and a boy who is trying to repair it. It is a challenging puzzly type card game. The girl in the coma doesn't have a lot to do, but that works out fine for my wife. It also has some progressive difficulty which we haven't experience yet, but as you win there are envelopes to open that make the next play through more difficult. I'm looking forward to that.

3.Nuns on the Run - I am also trying to get my kids more into gaming. I played this recently with my 2 oldest (10, 7) and a friend and a couple of his kids. We had a lot of fun being the Abbess and Prioress trying to catch the novices who are sneaking out of their rooms at night. The kids really enjoyed sneaking around the board trying to meet their objectives. I think it can be challenging for the kids because they have to keep track of movement without actually moving a piece. They record it on paper. However if they do it successfully the sneaking aspect seems to really appeal to them. I just hope they don't try to apply what they learned at home

I know my favorites will change often since there are so many great games out there that I have yet to experience!

Welcome to the Geek! 30 for you!

1. Never played Mansions, but I always thought it looked very cool & I love the theme.

2. Never even heard of Ravens. Thanks for drawing my attention to it. I'll definitely check it out.

3. I've read about Nuns before & I thought it looked really cool. I need to give it a try.

Enjoy your new avatar, my friend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis Brenton
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, I've got my two people. Thanks everyone for the thumbs. I'll do this again soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Weber
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
Blue Mountains
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you

Now to work out how to choose (or make) an avatar and upload it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nadja M.-S.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would really love to create my first avatar, too. I´m not even new at BGG, but MY GEEK looks so empty. It´s just sad cry. Does someone open his heart and geekgoldbox for me..modest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.