Subject: variant to combat unequal player powers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: VARIANT [+] [View All]
Shane Strom
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
The “Ace in the hole” variant

after several plays through this game, my friends and I all agreed that its biggest problem is the unequal player powers…they simply aren’t balanced, and this takes some of the fun out of the game unfortunately. For a while, we actually stopped using the player powers all together, and the game was a ton of fun that way and felt much more balanced. however, taking out a part of the game that added flair was disappointing in and of itself, so we came up with a variant that we call the “ace in the hole”.

the way it works is that at the beginning of the game, after boss cards are distributed (randomly), each player is dealt one ace. (I got the TEW playing cards as an add-on when I backed on KS, but any deck of cards laying around with 4 aces in it will do).

A player’s power as printed on their card can only be utilized when the player spends an ace, therefore, at the beginning of the game, each player power can theoretically only be used once (at that players discretion), when an ace is spent to activate a player power, it is discarded from the game permanently. however, the aces can also be traded amongst the players, in exchange for making certain moves. for example, a player may say, “if you don’t duel me at this location, I will give you my ace” or “if you agree not to take the leftover space this round, I will give you my ace”. when an ace is “given” it is not discarded, it merely changes hands, so it is possible that one player can collect several aces and utilize their player power more than once.

We have only played one game with this variant, but everyone seemed to enjoy it, and the game was very close at the end. what are y’all’s thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.