$30.00
Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Tiny Epic Western» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question with the ties on Placement Spots ... and a few Building Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How are ties resolved on Placement Spots? I know that for the winners pot, if there is a tie (due to sheriff's office adjustments) then both players win the pot. And I know that if there is a tie at the Town Hall then you break the tie with removing the sheriff's office adjustment. However, what happens on the Placement Spot? According to the rules the only tie you remove the sheriff's office adjustment is for the town hall. Yet, only one person can win the Placement Spot reward. So if there is a tie does that one person still win it?

This question came up when I was reading this post about the Opera House...
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1641851/opera-house-and-beg...

Which brings me to my next question. How is the Opera House resolved on a tie for highest poker card? Michael Coe stated that you use the highest natural card. But this doesn't make sense according to the wording on the Opera House itself (sorry michael! )

Quote:
Opera House: At the beginning of phase three, gain (X)(X)(X) if you have the highest single poker card amongst all the players.

The wording of 'Single poker card' makes me believe that there can be two highest poker cards, and you have to have a unqiue high one. So, for example if you have the 5 of Hats, and another player changed their 4 of Hats into a 5, then you would not have the highest single poker card and you would not gain the benefit of the building. In this example the player would still win the highest natural card, but if the cards were reversed he wouldn't. I guess I'll have to go with the official ruling by Michael, but I'm hoping he'll read this and reconsider or reinforce his previous decision on it.

My last question, unrelated to the two above, is about the Central Bank. The bank allows you to pay 1 influence to buy any one building. Does this purchase have to follow the rules of posse placement? Or can you buy from any slot? I'm assuming the latter, but looking for clarification.

-Thanks!

I just read through every rules post on here to write up a faq for myself, and these were the only two things I hadn't seen clarification on

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kellett
United Kingdom
Preston
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The suits are also ranked high to low, so if you both have, say, 5's, whomever has the highest ranked suit breaks the tie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AnimalMkIV wrote:
The suits are also ranked high to low, so if you both have, say, 5's, whomever has the highest ranked suit breaks the tie.

True. But I'm wondering specifically about when someone uses the sheriff's office to change the suit or rank of a card resulting in a true tie (two 5s of hats, etc).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simo Ahava
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding your very first question, how can there be a tie at a placement spot, when there can never be more than one standing Posse member on any spot? If you move your Posse member to an occupied spot, you duel until one of you emerges as the victor. When duelling, ties are resolved in favor of the defender.

Only a standing Posse member is eligible for a reward at the Resolution or Buy phase. Any instant rewards are awarded to the first Posse member on the spot, as well as any attackers who win the duel.

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding something.

EDIT: With Opera House I would follow the designer's ruling (highest natural card wins ties), and with Central Bank it would be any available building that can be bought, not just the buildings at location mats with your Posse members.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
McDonough
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Braffe wrote:
AnimalMkIV wrote:

True. But I'm wondering specifically about when someone uses the sheriff's office to change the suit or rank of a card resulting in a true tie (two 5s of hats, etc).

It is in the rulebook somewhere. Basically, if ties (after sheriff's office), then you both get the reward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tolis Koutsikos

Athens
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Regaring pots, if you are tied for best hand, both players get the result.

However, because Opera House specificaly mentions "highest single poker card" I would think that in the case of a tie, you don't get the bonus; there must be one highest card only, and you must have it.

EDIT: Nvm, I didn't see the question was already answered (break ties by natural card). Going by official ruling unless changed. I'm not a native speaker so I might took the wording too literally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sahava wrote:
Regarding your very first question, how can there be a tie at a placement spot, when there can never be more than one standing Posse member on any spot? If you move your Posse member to an occupied spot, you duel until one of you emerges as the victor. When duelling, ties are resolved in favor of the defender.

Only a standing Posse member is eligible for a reward at the Resolution or Buy phase. Any instant rewards are awarded to the first Posse member on the spot, as well as any attackers who win the duel.

sjliver wrote:
It is in the rulebook somewhere. Basically, if ties (after sheriff's office), then you both get the reward.

Theres two rules I'm looking at for this.
1. All players on a mat compete for all poker chip rewards.
2. All poker chip resolution icon rewards mean that you must win the poker hand to receive the reward.

Given that...
< meeple > locations have an instant reward on the left and a poker chip reward on the right.

While there can only be 1 Posse member standing here, you still need to win your poker hand against any fallen posse members, and any other posse members on the porch or other locations, in order to get the reward. So, if you have a Posse member on a poker chip resolution spot and another person has a posse member on a porch spot, and if you both have an equal poker hand, what happens?

The only tie breaking mechanic in the game for poker hands seems to be using the natural card. But, this rule is only stated as working for the Town Hall. For now I guess it might be best to house rule this tie breaking mechanic to work in all instances where applicable, as this seems to be what the official ruling is on the Opera House.

Sahava: I'll go with what you said about the Central Bank, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Iver Wilhelmsen
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Braffe wrote:
While there can only be 1 Posse member standing here, you still need to win your poker hand against any fallen posse members, and any other posse members on the porch or other locations, in order to get the reward. So, if you have a Posse member on a poker chip resolution spot and another person has a posse member on a porch spot, and if you both have an equal poker hand, what happens?

As per the section "Tie-breaker" on page 13, if you both have equal poker hands, tied players share the "Winner's Pot". But since only one player can be standing on the Resolution side of the other resource spot, only the standing player gets that reward if he is among the tied ones - as per the next section. Maybe the end of the "Winner's Pot" section should be reworded to say "If still tied... both players count as winning players on the location" to make the next section more clear as to who gets the resolution side spot (i.e. the eligible, standing player).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao Rodrigues
Brazil
Guarulhos
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To me, this issue with Opera House is not an issue at all. Rules say that the effect on Sheriff's Hall will change your card during phase 3 and phase 4. Opera House, on the other hand, asks you to check poker hands at the beginning of phase 3. This means that it happens before Sheriff's Hall worker placement spot takes effect.

So, there can be only one higher card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Johnnymaxx wrote:
To me, this issue with Opera House is not an issue at all. Rules say that the effect on Sheriff's Hall will change your card during phase 3 and phase 4. Opera House, on the other hand, asks you to check poker hands at the beginning of phase 3. This means that it happens before Sheriff's Hall worker placement spot takes effect.

So, there can be only one higher card.

The Sheriff's Office is resolved before everything else, and "Poker card adjustments from the Sheriff's Office ARE effective for all considerations in phases 3 and 4." (- Michael Coe). So they would be taken into consideration for the Opera House. It's just the wording of 'Single High Card' that makes me think it can't be won on a tie. This makes 100% sense to me, but I guess Michael said otherwise in a different thread (as I stated above).

I'm more concerned about the first question I had regarding tie's when there would only be one person getting the reward. I guess the pure interpretation of the rules would be: In the case of a tie both people receive the reward. But since only the one person was eligible to receive it, only he would anyways.

I was foolish to ask this question days before the Tiny Epic Quest Kickstarter was launched. Dev's are too busy with that now, I don't believe I'll get an answer any time soon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.