16 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Works in Progress

Subject: (W.I.P) 4X Space game! (No Name Yet) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jordan Williams
Gibraltar
flag msg tools
I have decided, due to the progression of the game itself to update the Original thread post. The reason being that this is the first thing everyone sees when clicking on this Thread.

The name of the board game itself is yet to be decided. This is a 4X Space game. Now, some of you may say, there are already good games of this genre such as Twilight Imperium or Eclipse as well as others. What is so special about this one that will make me play it? Well, if you so kindly read on hopefully I can Pique your interest in my game.

I have always had an interest in everything sci-fi (I thank Star Wars and Comics for that). One of those things are 4X space games, I have tried many a game, Sword of the Stars, Masters of Orion, Galactic Civ etc etc. Each being fun in their own way as they tend to focus on different aspects of the game itself. This being true too for the Sci-Fi 4X board-games out there. What I do find though, is that the board games lack a certain oomph that the console games have, I am unsure whether this is an aspect of Realism involved into it, Strategic involvement of the player (Decision-making or choices available), and even the Strategy and/or Tactics involved in Combat, It is probably a combination of these and other things though. I am going to try and fix that problem, having you leave a game session feeling like you have truly achieved galactic domination through your own wits, political prowess and strategic thinking, all in a few hours instead of a weekend, of gaming.

Since this is a 4X game I will explain how it touches into the four aspects of: eXploration, eXpansion, eXploitation & eXtermination.

First up is;
eXploration

This game is set in a very distant galaxy and also set thousands of years into the future from now. The ‘Map’ is separated into Large Hexes which will each fit an entire solar system (That is the Star and its surrounding planets). The map itself, depending on how many players are actually playing will vary in size, with there being 7,8 or even 9 Solar Systems in a large Game and 2 or 3 in a smaller game. The Suns are separated into 4 Different types, each having their own colour code. The planets are also sorted into the same colour scheme matching their respective Suns. So for example when setting up a game with two Yellow Suns, one Red and one Blue-White you would select random planets for each of these Solar Systems according to their colour code eg. Yellow Sun Planets for the Yellow Sun, Red Sun Planets for the Red Sun etc.
Players will begin their eXploration of the Galaxy with their scout ships, these being available immediately from commencing the game. The players will use these ships to eXplore & ‘Flip’ over the Planet Counters they encounter and thus reveal the resources that particular planet has to offer. There will also be random encounters or anomalies which the scout ships will be allowed to interact with, some of these giving research, more resources or even giving the player control over a derelict ship.

Overall giving a varied experience every time you play as not only the Stars in each solar system actively being used would be different when the selection process is done, but the planets themselves will be different as they are also chosen at random.

eXpansion

Once Players have eXplored and found a planet they deem fit for Colonization they will need to build a Colony Ship. These Colony Ships will carry 1 population from the Planet it is built on to wherever the player sends that ship. Once Colonized the population will begin to harvest the resources the planet has to offer to further increase the players income.

Q:How does this system work?

The Resources this game uses are Grebs (Money), Food, Ore, Fuel & Psionic Energy the latter being race specific and spoken about later on. Each planet, is separated into either 2, 3 or 4 Quadrants/Sections. Each one of these quadrants provides one of the specified Resources each turn (Except for Grebs). In order to be able to harvest these you need population to work on them. E.g Player A’s recently Explored planet is separated into 4 Quadrants, 2 of which are Green(Food), one is Black(Fuel) and the other is Grey(Ore). In order to gain 2 Food, 1 Fuel and 1 Ore from this planet the player must have 4 Population on it.
Population grows with abundancy of Food and decreases with a lack of Food (Amount of food needed will vary with race). I will give an example, each human population consumes ½ of 1 Food, so for each Food resource you have, your population will be able to grow by two. Food can be found in most Solar Systems, in some, the quantity is scarcer than others so in order to expand you will need to target High-Class planets with a good quantity of Food. Obviously there is also some research which will allow you to get more food, or need less per population.
With the lack of food I found that it would be interesting to add features to the game which would allow the player to cripple their enemies’ empires Indirectly instead of Directly (Through Capturing and Destroying, Fleets and/or Planets). If you were to blockade your enemies main food ‘Producers’ in essence you could stop that player from expanding farther into the stars. (This system needs to be tested and may or may not be included in final version).

Q:What else is included in the eXpansion aspect of the game?

In any 4X pc game you play you will find each race has its own Tech-tree. In this boardgame you will ALSO find race-tailored tech-trees where the player will be able to expand upon their Combat, Economic and Political assets. Amongst these being race-specific technologies to unlock your chosen races full potential.

Another thing you will find in this game that will alter how each player plays out their game is the Stations each player will be able to build with their construction ships. These stations each have a specialty which will give the player different abilities and each planet is only allowed one Station.

An example, Player B has recently colonized three planets, A has 2 quadrants both of which are Black(Fuel), planet B has 4 Quadrants, 2 of which are Green(Food) and 2 are Grey(Ore). Player B decides to build a Mining Station on Planet A, which will grant him double that planets raw resources; in other words 4 Fuel instead of 2. On planet B he decides to build an Agriculture Station since he already is in good supply of Ore, this mean he would get 4 Food instead of 2, plus the 2 Ore from that planet. On the third planet though, which has 2 Food, 1 Ore and 1 Fuel he also decides to build a Mining Station. Ore and Fuel are both doubled by the Mining Station, which would mean the player receives 2 Food, 2 Ore & 2 Fuel from that planet.

Other Stations include a Shipyard, which would allow you to build Ships for your Fleets, Science stations for research, and Shrines (Not Available to every race) to harvest Psionic Energy. Another station which becomes unlockable through research to some races is the Diplomacy Station, this allows the players to build diplomatic fleets in order to enter into Diplomacy with other players (More on that later though).
eXpansion in this game will become crucial as players race to colonize the better classed planets in order to further increase their foothold in the galaxy. Will you gain the upper-hand by quickly establishing your presence in many planets? Or will you simply bide your time and watch as the enemy stretches their Empire enough to make them an easy target?

eXploitation

There is a whole galaxy to eXploit! And a myriad of races with whom to do so! Raiding, blockading, backstabbing are amongst some of the things you are allowed, but what better way to eXploit your enemies than through espionage along with a never ending battle for political dominance?

In this game, players will acquire a special resource entitled ‘Influence’ through certain actions in the game such as conquering planets, entering/breaking diplomatic relations and winning/losing certain political actions. This ‘Influence’ is not only the currency the player uses to purchase espionage actions but also what the player uses in his Diplomatic & Political Actions, this can also be used to bribe or coerce other players into certain deals.

Eg. A Political Card has been drawn in which a decision needs to be made to enact an edict. Whether or not the Edict shall pass is up to the players. The edict states that a heavy Tax should be imposed on fleets having a command point over a certain amount. This comes at a bad time for player A since he’s just spent most of his resources on outfitting some new Fleets with the best ships he has, taking them all beyond the limit of the tax edict. Player C, B and D don’t have fleets as big as player A and are losing the fight, if this edict were to pass then they wouldn’t be outmatched by player A’s massive fleets! They pool together their influence points for the voting and it comes to a 37 points. Player A puts in his points which is a total of 33, player A has lost this round, which would mean he has to pay out to the other players the Tax imposed on his large fleets. Before the vote is finished though, Player A plays one of his Espionage cards, which so happens to remove 5 votes from the opposition and then add it to his own. Player A has won this political battle, but, at a heavy cost since he has spent all of his influence points just for this edict! Hopefully, the next card drawn isn’t something similar.

I want something to stand out in each of the 4X aspects, and in the eXploitation I believe the one I want to stand out the most is the Political landscape in this game, the politics will be solved quickly and simply but involve all the players in it, either for their benefit or demise.

Another fun part of the eXploiting is the Espionage (Spying) system in which players will be able to (Once Spying Research is done) infiltrate other empires and cause mayhem from within. This could include assasinations, war instigations, causing riots, collecting intel etc etc. all without the other player knowing who it is! (im already feeling mischievous!). This espionage system will also play a big part in the political system, because, as we all know, politics wouldn’t be politics without all the dark dodgy ‘in the shadows’ dirt that comes along with it.

Thanks for reading! please give your opinions!
(I Will upload eXploitation and eXtermination ASAP)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: (W.I.P) Dawn of a New Hope
Pictures?

The only space and ship-interior I've seen has been Battlestations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Williams
Gibraltar
flag msg tools
Hi, firstly thanks for reading the thread!
Secondly, the interior designs are currently being worked on as are the larger class vessels. The fighter/drone for example wouldn't have an interior as its too small for it.
The Troop Transport which is the one being worked on right now will have an interior but sadly there's no pictures I can show you right now :/ that model will be around the size of an A5 and should be big enough inside to fit a squad of 8 or 9 28mm models. As soon as I have pictures of any sort of interior I will be posting these up!

The only pic I can offer up is a concept of the Human Fighter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are these papercraft or 3d printed ships? Since they'll be so big.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Williams
Gibraltar
flag msg tools
These models would have masters printed out in 3D which then will be used in Moulds to then be casted in plastic

These models though may, or may not be used with the Campaign section of the game. I mean, I think it would be rather difficult to be trying to capture regions of space in a 33X24" game board with a cruiser the size of a keyboard xD xD So the campaign map would have Fleet Tokens, or rather a really small 3D ship model which would represent an individual Fleet in your empire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Queen Carlotta
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
Contre nous de la tyrannie, l’étendard sanglant est levé
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: (W.I.P) Dawn of a New Hope. Opinions & Ideas Please!! :D
I feel you'd spare yourself some headaches if you go down to 15mm. Less common with miniature boardgames, but there are a lot of mini gamers out there that do scifi in 15mm. Manufacturers that come to mind: Ground Zero Games, Khurasan, 15mm.co.uk
Take a look beyond the franchise games and suddenly you have more room to play!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Williams
Gibraltar
flag msg tools
I never thought about adapting the interiors and the ships themselves to 15mm size miniatures!
The way i was thinking was making the models compatible with infinity models and warhammer 40k and other sci-fi models in order to provide crew members etc until I managed to produce some models myself.

Thanks for that Alois_Schimmerlos

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Williams
Gibraltar
flag msg tools
Anyone else has any opinions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Stanmyer
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Some more detail on the rules, combat mechanics, planet settling mechanics, research mechanics etc, would be helpful in giving some feedback.

I have one question. Do you plan on having a modular or randomized board like in Twilight Imperium or Eclipse, or do you plan on having a more static board like in the other game you've offered for comparison, Risk?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Williams
Gibraltar
flag msg tools
The combat mechanics I’ve just more or less formulated an idea behind it (it will sound more than an idea when you read it but everything is subject to change), an important part of it would be evasion and accuracy each ship has, they are to each other as damage and health go together. So if the attacking player has higher accuracy than defender has evasion the attacker receives either a low bonus or no bonuses (Still deciding). If the Defender has higher evasion than attackers accuracy the attacker is dealt a penalty which would mean less damage.
The ships stats would be; Hull Points, Shields, Damage, Evasion, accuracy.

Again this hasn’t been tested, it will be very soon and then I will probably realize certain things will need readjusting. Players will each pick out 7 ship cards from their fleet deck (Current ships built in fighting fleet), there’s 13 classes which I plan on doing, each class have different stats and certain abilities which change according to the race, as an example; the balanced stat human fighter will normally have penalties against the much faster Surcan fighters, but these in turn do less damage.

There will be two lanes which you can place your ships in which will be the Active Lane & the Reserve Lane. Unless the ships have certain abilities that allow them to shoot from the reserve lane only the active ships may participate in combat. This combat can be aided by several ‘expendable’ supply or ability cards that are purchasable/buildable like ‘repair bots’ or ‘Assault drones’. When fighting cards will be destroyed, captured, or simply have ‘fallen back’ if the player decides to withdraw that ship (he will no longer be able to use it in that battle if he does so)
Each player will only have those 7 ships to fight with for that battle, so once one side is destroyed or decides to fall back the fight ends. This does not mean that the conflict has ended in the campaign map. Ill explain, Red player owns the zone of Dryden, has a fleet present there that he has built 6 fighters into, 2 bombers, 4 corvettes, 1 frigate & 3 cruisers, he will be able to choose 7 ships from that fleet when entering combat. Along comes Green player and decides to invade that zone, he brings along 4 fighters, 4 bombers, 2 corvettes, 3 hunters (long ranged), 2 Light Cruisers & 1 Battleship. They both pick their 7 cards they fight and Red has won the fight, this does not mean that Green now needs to leave that zone. Both players have 2 choices if their fleets have not been left with 0 cards after the fight, they can either stay and on the next Round when the fighting phase is entered again they fight again, or either of them may retreat.

I know that may sound quite strange making the battles last. What I wanted to cause with that is for the players to think about entering into battles, think strategically, if I invade there I could take it in say 2 or 3 turns. But in those 2 to 3 turns other players can take advantage of the fact that your fleet is busy with someone elses. This means players would tend to have several fleets instead of one uber fleet (Still possible if one wishes) and allow for strategic planning of invasions and defense etc etc.

Planets will produce resources which players use to build everything in the game and even trade. These planets will have different atmospheres etc so the player may find that their race is not suited to that atmosphere. Terraforming will be needed here to colonize and reap the benefits of the planet. One idea I have is to have a point system, -5 to +5 with each race being a specific number, so if humans are +1 and the planets atmosphere is a +3 terraforming will be needed. I am open to other ideas if you have any too!

As for the research tree I am working on that, for now all I can say is that there will be various tech ‘groups’ like economy or war etc. I want each tech tree to be able to represent the race and its personality like ‘hyper-agressiveness’ or Psionic orientated for the ‘Pious’. I want research to be a facet in the game that will allow players to gain advantages over others so ‘the right tech researched at the right time could save from disaster’ sort of thing.

As for the board in itself I am unsure what would work best in this instance, I prefer the more risk-like type with a big game board rather than the hexes. The way I could produce similar ‘never-the-same-map’ effects is when a new star system is explored a planet card is drawn at random, as well as random event cards which will include pirate raids, asteroid fields, storms etc. I am open to opinions though!

I hope this helps and make sense?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan McKinney
msg tools
mb
I'm currently developing a space game myself (there's a WIP thread!) and it seems like our goals are similar: space exploration that encourages combat, but our implementations are quite different. If you and I keep developing our games maybe it will be fun to see how things go for us down the line.

It definitely looks like you're going for a more realistic approach than I am with those combat modifiers and various ship classes. I like your initial idea for terraforming and atmospheres. It should make the game interesting if you implement it right. Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Williams
Gibraltar
flag msg tools
Thanks for your comments from the start I knew i wanted something with colonizing the planet and not make it as simple as 'move to that space, its yours now' kind of thing.
I will take a look at your thread too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Williams
Gibraltar
flag msg tools
Re: (W.I.P) 4X Space game A New Hope. Opinions & Ideas Please!! :D
anyone else have any ideas or opinions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Williams
Gibraltar
flag msg tools
Re: (W.I.P) 4X Space game A New Hope. Opinions & Ideas Please!! :D
Hi everyone. I have another Thread of this game open in the Board Game Design section which is much more active than this one. In case anyone is interested I will post the link to that thread here,

4x Space game! (No Name Yet)

Before anyone asks yes the game is making progress and if you read up on the comments on the thread I've posted above you will be up-to date

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Williams
Gibraltar
flag msg tools
New 'Main Thread' post guys, hopefully everything is a bit more fleshed out on there!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Williams
Gibraltar
flag msg tools
eXploitation

There is a whole galaxy to eXploit! And a myriad of races with whom to do so! Raiding, blockading, backstabbing are amongst some of the things you are allowed, but what better way to eXploit your enemies than through espionage along with a never ending battle for political dominance?

In this game, players will acquire a special resource entitled ‘Influence’ through certain actions in the game such as conquering planets, entering/breaking diplomatic relations and winning/losing certain political actions. This ‘Influence’ is not only the currency the player uses to purchase espionage actions but also what the player uses in his Diplomatic & Political Actions, this can also be used to bribe or coerce other players into certain deals.

Eg. A Political Card has been drawn in which a decision needs to be made to enact an edict. Whether or not the Edict shall pass is up to the players. The edict states that a heavy Tax should be imposed on fleets having a command point over a certain amount. This comes at a bad time for player A since he’s just spent most of his resources on outfitting some new Fleets with the best ships he has, taking them all beyond the limit of the tax edict. Player C, B and D don’t have fleets as big as player A and are losing the fight, if this edict were to pass then they wouldn’t be outmatched by player A’s massive fleets! They pool together their influence points for the voting and it comes to a 37 points. Player A puts in his points which is a total of 33, player A has lost this round, which would mean he has to pay out to the other players the Tax imposed on his large fleets. Before the vote is finished though, Player A plays one of his Espionage cards, which so happens to remove 5 votes from the opposition and then add it to his own. Player A has won this political battle, but, at a heavy cost since he has spent all of his influence points just for this edict! Hopefully, the next card drawn isn’t something similar.

I want something to stand out in each of the 4X aspects, and in the eXploitation I believe the one I want to stand out the most is the Political landscape in this game, the politics will be solved quickly and simply but involve all the players in it, either for their benefit or demise.

Another fun part of the eXploiting is the Espionage (Spying) system in which players will be able to (Once Spying Research is done) infiltrate other empires and cause mayhem from within. This could include assasinations, war instigations, causing riots, collecting intel etc etc. all without the other player knowing who it is! (im already feeling mischievous!). This espionage system will also play a big part in the political system, because, as we all know, politics wouldn’t be politics without all the dark dodgy ‘in the shadows’ dirt that comes along with it.

(eXploration and eXpansion are explained in the main thread post!) eXtermination is to follow shortly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.