Subject: New to the game, what expansions to buy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ed Farias
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I'm brand new to LOTR LCG (I know, late to the party) and I am really enjoying the core set, well at least the first scenario. The other seems kind of hard without more cards, so that leaves me to my question.

Many of the earlier expansions/adventure packs seem to be out of print, like The Hunt For Gollum Adventure Pack. I can pick up the last 2 or 3 from that cycle with relative ease, but the earlier ones cost too much to make it worth it.

So in late 2016, what should I buy first to go with the core set and help me migrate out of noobness .

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Buchholz
United States
Middleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the game:
If you need some inspiration for the core decks to take on the second scenario check out the hall of Beorn deck lists. NEar the bottom has builds and explains how they work from just the Core to handle the scenarios. IT is most instructive and gets your own creativity going.
https://hallofbeorn.wordpress.com/decks/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Farias
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, I will do that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Broderick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Here you go, fella: https://talesfromthecards.wordpress.com/2013/09/13/new-playe...

Have fun reading.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Farias
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cornishlee wrote:

Perfect, also exactly what I needed. Much appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Farias
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well most of what I read seem to point to getting Khazad-Dum expansion, but of course that is out of print as well and can only be found a premium.

Maybe just start with the Hobbit Over Hill and Under Hill big box? Man, it's kind of frustrating not being able to buy what you want LOL.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Chalfont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They will eventually come back into print in a few months or so.

If you are new and struggling I found Beorn's Path to be a great intro that will help you with strategy and building good decks from just the core set. https://hallofbeorn.wordpress.com/beorns-path/

Another choice to play all the starter decks many times against each scenario to learn the strengths and weakness of each sphere.

Some people like to play it all in order using only the cards available at that time but I think you might as well just buy a complete cycle at a time and use all those cards at once. You really don't get that many player cards in each pack, usually 1 hero and 9 new player cards. This is sort of painful for the first cycle since you can't even build good "legal" decks until you have the majority of the first cycle in the pool.

You really don't need to play the adventures in order, so buy what you can from Mirkwood and keep hunting down the missing packs. It just seems like the first and last packs are not available for Mirkwood on Amazon. The reality is you are going to play some scenarios only a few times while others you will play many times.

You can jump to the Darrowdelf cycle. If you just want player cards you don't even need the deluxe box that starts the cycle.

You can also jump to the Saga boxes which only require a core.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wheal
United States
Kosse
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Go to the FFG website, click on "upcoming" and take a look at the LotR reprints. That should help you.

FFG are trying to keep everything in print, if possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Farias
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very helpful, thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Brown
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ArcadEd wrote:
So I'm brand new to LOTR LCG (I know, late to the party) and I am really enjoying the core set, well at least the first scenario.

Welcome to the party! Here is some geek gold. Feel free to get yourself a Lord of the Rings microbadge, if you like.

https://boardgamegeek.com/microbadge/16977

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dodge
United States
Highland
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ArcadEd wrote:
Well most of what I read seem to point to getting Khazad-Dum expansion, but of course that is out of print as well and can only be found a premium.

Maybe just start with the Hobbit Over Hill and Under Hill big box? Man, it's kind of frustrating not being able to buy what you want LOL.

I started playing a few weeks ago too. I bought the game when it first came out but set this one aside for other games. Recently, after watching LOTR movies, I decided to dust the game off and give it a try. I am loving it! I'm in the same predicament, trying to find expansions that are in print. Khazad-Dum is one I really want and the expansion actually shipped to stores recently. I've been waiting for a few months and check the stores most every day to see if it is on shelves. It will be there soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Farias
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
elitusprime wrote:
ArcadEd wrote:
So I'm brand new to LOTR LCG (I know, late to the party) and I am really enjoying the core set, well at least the first scenario.

Welcome to the party! Here is some geek gold. Feel free to get yourself a Lord of the Rings microbadge, if you like.

https://boardgamegeek.com/microbadge/16977

Why thank you, I did just that .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Farias
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
14cross wrote:
ArcadEd wrote:

I started playing a few weeks ago too. I bought the game when it first came out but set this one aside for other games. Recently, after watching LOTR movies, I decided to dust the game off and give it a try. I am loving it! I'm in the same predicament, trying to find expansions that are in print. Khazad-Dum is one I really want and the expansion actually shipped to stores recently. I've been waiting for a few months and check the stores most every day to see if it is on shelves. It will be there soon.

haha, glad I am not alone . I did see that set was shipped recently, so I'll be picking it up too. Looks like many of the first cycle are set to be be reprinted as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MWAlbion wrote:
Go to the FFG website, click on "upcoming" and take a look at the LotR reprints. That should help you.

Oddly, the Khazad-dum and Black Riders expansions have been listed as 'in stores now' for a week or more now but I haven't find them anywhere - locally, CSI, MM, Amazon, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Farias
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like it's in stock again.

http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/137074

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
Didn't know what to spend all this sweet GG on, so I bought the overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
ArcadEd wrote:
So I'm brand new to LOTR LCG (I know, late to the party) and I am really enjoying the core set, well at least the first scenario. The other seems kind of hard without more cards, so that leaves me to my question.

Many of the earlier expansions/adventure packs seem to be out of print, like The Hunt For Gollum Adventure Pack. I can pick up the last 2 or 3 from that cycle with relative ease, but the earlier ones cost too much to make it worth it.

So in late 2016, what should I buy first to go with the core set and help me migrate out of noobness .

Thanks

Not sure what part of AZ you're in, but you might want to go to the fellowship event next month at Game Depot in Tempe: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/7/27/defend-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.