GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

9,995 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
27 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Risk Europe» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Risk??? Just call it MEDIEVAL EUROPE!!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pepe Carrillo
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PROS:
Got my copy and was I in for a surprise! Great sculpts and poses, beautiful map, ingenious card-driven action mechanism... overall nicely done. Watched Marco Arnaudo's video a few days before purchase and after reading the rules realized a few key elements were left out, as in subtleties to Taxing, Expanding, and Maneuvering that you need to be mindful of (I posted a list of said subtleties in the Rules section). There is also a bit more to battles: it allows for combined arms (ranged fire, if you have the right mix of troops) before clashing in melee, and the possibility of adding more attacking troops; and as the defender, it is also possible to remove troops from the battle, as long as you leave enough to match the enemy's troop count (fly-paper effect). This in itself can make for some interesting battle posturing, especially since battle isn't resolved until all players have alternated playing two action cards each. The first-player status may change in the midst of play, thus upsetting your carefully conceived order-based plans for the upcoming round. If less than four are playing, there are 2-3 player variant rules which add a mercenary army and mission rules are also included when you're ready to step it up. Overall, there are more strategic and tactical nuances to this 'Risk' game than ever before. Let's just say it should've been named Medieval Europe, thus severing ties to Risk which might put some gamers off. Do yourself a favor, check out the tutorial video by Hasbro - good stuff.

CONS:
Only three, all minor... The game is for a max of four players. The green army should've been darker to overcome the 'glow in the dark' look. And the blue army's siege engines are hand-held wooden rams that seem rather silly when used in the 'bombard' mode.

That said, Risk Europe is a well-priced little gem that deserves your serious consideration. What are you waiting for, me lads? Go kick some medieval ass (as in donkey...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Every once in a while Hasbro puts out a good game, despite their best efforts otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pepe Carrillo
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all - to see the subtleties I refer to in this post, see 'THE FINER POINTS OF THE RULES THAT ARE NOT VISIBLE' in the rules section.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Valle
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Without questions a very nice game, well designed and with mechanics that definitively puts it a top notch above most if not all of Hasbro stuff.

And although I do not like to focus on the 'cons' of any given game, one observation that maybe happened to other fellow gamers or not: with the blue army, sometimes you might get confused between the infantry and crossbowmen, at a glance both look almost the same.

Also and I mentioned in my rating, I believe the cards are a little thin, but quite functional.

All of this without mentioning the obvious 'main' con, the name RISK. Nothing bad on it, but am positive it will scare away some fellow gamers believing it is another intensive dice fest game here...

For all gamers that read this thread, please do yourself a favor and get this game...is really worth the money spent on it!

Regards,

Jumval
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Jumval wrote:
with the blue army, sometimes you might get confused between the infantry and crossbowmen, at a glance both look almost the same.

I've not played the game yet, but I noticed the same thing when I was sorting through the components.

I may paint the bases different colors by troop type (infantry black, archers white, for example) to help distinguish them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Patuxent River
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
msgt pepe wrote:
Hi all - to see the subtleties I refer to in this post, see 'THE FINER POINTS OF THE RULES THAT ARE NOT VISIBLE' in the rules section.
Here's a link The finer points of the rules that are not easily visible
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pepe Carrillo
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ol_bubba wrote:
msgt pepe wrote:
Here's a link The finer points of the rules that are not easily visible

Thank you Mr. Bubba, I should've added that dang link myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Skyrunner
msg tools
Are all Risk games like that? They sure do get a lot of negativity on the boards. This is interesting because they seem to have licensed outthe Risk name quite generously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Y0daPr1c1ple wrote:
Are all Risk games like that? They sure do get a lot of negativity on the boards. This is interesting because they seem to have licensed outthe Risk name quite generously.

Hasbro actually produced it themselves, rather than licensing it out. Classic Risk (1959) gets a lot of flak here on BGG because it's not a contemporary design. In classic Risk, there's a lot of luck, player elimination, and the game generally outstays its welcome by simply being too long for its depth.

Newer additions to the Risk family attempt to address these issues, with varying degrees of success. They still tend to get met with initial skepticism among hobbyist gamers. To me, this Risk Europe version has proven itself to be the best of its breed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I call it Warlords Of Europe Lite...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pepe Carrillo
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
volnon wrote:

I call it Warlords Of Europe Lite...

That works for me too! I understand this game takes longer to play?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Yes...yes it does.

But if you like Risk Europe, Warlords of Europe is a "must-have."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pepe Carrillo
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
volnon wrote:

Yes...yes it does.

But if you like Risk Europe, Warlords of Europe is a "must-have."

I missed the boat a few years ago, too expensive now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Wow... you are right. I just looked at Ebay prices!

In all honesty, I think the game was kind of expensive when it was first released- at least 65 bucks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pepe Carrillo
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
volnon wrote:

Wow... you are right. I just looked at Ebay prices!

In all honesty, I think the game was kind of expensive when it was first released- at least 65 bucks.

Yep, and I remember being too cheap to pay that price... after driving many miles to a NOT LOCAL game store. Silly me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Someone is selling a NEW copy on Ebay for 95.00, free shipping.
Maybe not a fantastic price, but not too bad.

Are you still too cheap?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pepe Carrillo
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
volnon wrote:

Someone is selling a NEW copy on Ebay for 95.00, free shipping.
Maybe not a fantastic price, but not too bad.

Are you still too cheap? :D

Aye, 95 is a bit steep especially since I'll most likely play it solo. Reckon I'm still cheap!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got a copy of Risk Europe for Christmas.

Since we will be playing our final game of Risk Legacy (our favorite Risk implementation) today, the timing was perfect.

Strongly considering using some Legacy elements in Risk Europe...like naming things on the board, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Daly
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
Jumval wrote:
All of this without mentioning the obvious 'main' con, the name RISK. Nothing bad on it, but am positive it will scare away some fellow gamers believing it is another intensive dice fest game here...

I look at this a different way. The name "Risk" is a well-known and popular mainstream brand, so perhaps using the name will get some non-gamers to buy and try a really good game, which may even become the gateway to recruit a few of them into our hobby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
John Coltrane - Africa Brass v. 1 & 2
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was nearly sold until I followed the link to 'finer points' and saw the Siege Assault rule. So there's a strategic map of Europe, and you can use siege engines to fire at adjacent territories?!? I don't expect simulation in a Risk game, but that's a real mood killer for me - I'd expect ballistas, but not V-1 rockets.

Fortunately, like volnon I have a copy of Warlords of Europe. It covers the same subject matter and and as he says, it's a really excellent game. I'll stick with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
migue colacho
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is only one card with the bonus Siege Assault, that lets you shoot once (that is, you roll 2 dice per siege engine and that's all) to an adjacent, nondisputed territory.

Each player has 8 cards and play 2 per round. From my experience, a game of RISK Europe last ~6-7 rounds (at least in my playgroup) so each player will be able to use this bonus power once or twice per game. Imo, it is not that big deal... It is not like you're surrounding and bullying a territory with siege engines xD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pepe Carrillo
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
I was nearly sold until I followed the link to 'finer points' and saw the Siege Assault rule. So there's a strategic map of Europe, and you can use siege engines to fire at adjacent territories?!? I don't expect simulation in a Risk game, but that's a real mood killer for me - I'd expect ballistas, but not V-1 rockets.

Fortunately, like volnon I have a copy of Warlords of Europe. It covers the same subject matter and and as he says, it's a really excellent game. I'll stick with that.

You can always play without it or use my alternate SUPPRESSION BOMBARDMENT rule instead
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
Didn't know what to spend all this sweet GG on, so I bought the overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:

Just pretend that the three dudes with the log are at the border throwing it enemies right in front of them. Oh, and that the enemies don't care to step out of the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
John Coltrane - Africa Brass v. 1 & 2
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or I can just save my money and play Warlords of Europe

Seriously, WoE covers the same subject matter, has components that are as good if not better, and doesn't need fixing. A new game in my house has to fight for shelf space and I can't think of a single reason why I'd need this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
VENI, VIDI, VISA - my good wife conquering a Shopping Mall.
badge
Like a good red wine, I improve with age... and being laid.
mbmbmbmbmb
msgt pepe wrote:
...And the blue army's siege engines are hand-held wooden rams that seem rather silly when used in the 'bombard' mode.

Actually, I would say they were historically accurate... whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.