11 Posts

Ikusa» Forums » General

Subject: Rules clarification help rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thoma Mattox

Indiana
msg tools
Finally got my game group together to play this. We have since learned we did a couple things wrong and understand how to correct them. However, we still have a few questions/

1) If I have a provincial force of 4 spearmen, can 2 attack one adjacent Provence and the other 2 attack another? Or do they have to all attack the same location??

2) Can a daimyo army move under Phase A, declare a battle on an adjacent location Phase B, conduct combat Phasc C, and move again in phase D? Or are they only allowed to move once in either Phase A or D??

3) If my daimyo has enough experience for 3 battles/moves, do I have to declare them ALL during Phase B (i.e. If I win here I will move into this Provence and attack the next one)? And if so, do those "moves" count as Phase A moves or Phase D moves?

I think that sums up our main bits of confusion.
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kalk
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
twmattox wrote:
Finally got my game group together to play this. We have since learned we did a couple things wrong and understand how to correct them. However, we still have a few questions/

1) If I have a provincial force of 4 spearmen, can 2 attack one adjacent Provence and the other 2 attack another? Or do they have to all attack the same location??

Provincial troops must all attack together. An Army in the same province can attack independently.

Quote:
2) Can a daimyo army move under Phase A, declare a battle on an adjacent location Phase B, conduct combat Phasc C, and move again in phase D?

Yes

Quote:
3) If my daimyo has enough experience for 3 battles/moves, do I have to declare them ALL during Phase B (i.e. If I win here I will move into this Provence and attack the next one)? And if so, do those "moves" count as Phase A moves or Phase D moves?

You only need to declare the FIRST attack. After each attack, the army may remain stationary OR move into the province it just attacked. This does NOT count toward your Phase A or Phase D movement limits. Note: If you wish to attack a province on thd far side of a vacant province, you must: 1)Move the Army adjacent to the vacant province in Phase A. 2) Declare an attack on the vacant province. 3) Move the Army into the vacant province in Phase C (does not couns as a "victory" for the purpose of experience). 4) Attack the now-adjacent enemy province. This is the ONLY time you need to declare an attack on an empty province.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thoma Mattox

Indiana
msg tools
Thanks. All that makes more sense. I think the largest issue we had was approaching the game from an Axis & Allies slant (combat/non combat moves). The other initial issue we had was with garrisons. Again, took an Axis &a Allies slant with allowing fortification moves to remove all the soldiers from a Provence.

So,now that we are playing "correctly", there doesn't seem to be enough troops. I worked my way up to 22 provences and my armies were only about half full and I only had a bowman left. Does this sound "normal"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kalk
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
twmattox wrote:

So,now that we are playing "correctly", there doesn't seem to be enough troops. I worked my way up to 22 provences and my armies were only about half full and I only had a bowman left. Does this sound "normal"?

Depending on how many provincial troops you have standing around, that sounds about right. In a gane with more than 3 players, you pretty much need to wipe out an opponent (and take control of all his pieces) in order to have a real chance of winning. Otherwise, your troops can get spread pretty thin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Labelle
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A friend of mine loads up one of his armies with almost all the gunners and as many bowmen that he can afford. He leaves his other two armies fairly weak without missile units.
He has won the past two games we played. His "Super Missile Army" is devastating! It wipes out a good deal of enemy spearman and swordsmen before they ever get to roll the dice in battle. This extreme tactic is something fun to experiment with in one of your games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff C
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And somewhat vulnerable to ninja strikes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Labelle
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
True, but aren't we all?
If the Ninja is successful, the units are still there to deal out their withering fire. You still defend as normal even with an assassinated Daimyo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff C
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The eggs in one basket make it more likely to be hit, and if they are hit, they can be ignored for that turn while the enemy strikes elsewhere.

The troops do you no good if they cant be made to fight where you want to fight.

A big stack of ronin could help deal with it too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Labelle
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup! All true.
The Ninja and Ronin are the tools to use fighting this behemoth. Believe me, all were tried. But the wonderful politics of the game allowed him to make the right alliances because no one wanted to expend the resources to take him on. Or they just didn't appreciate the power of his army until they sat in its crosshairs and lost turns of Koku spending in one decent initial dice roll with no way to retaliate. It was something to see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kalk
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
The other way to fight it is to hit him on the other front. One army, no matter how powerful, can't be everywhere, and picking off his 2 helpless Daimyos will make him a little nervous to get into a big fight with his lone remaining army.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Labelle
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Historically, Oda Nobunaga introduced the use of massed Tanegashima matchlock arquebuses at the battle of Nagashino. He had 3000 Ashigaru gunners in his army! This changed warfare in Japan.
Hey, if it worked for him...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.