Subject: NVA Attack and Ambush Bot rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bruce Wigdor
United States
Lake Hiawatha
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Hi, I posted this a few days ago in the original thread (https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1633684/nva-ambush-question...) and got no response, so I thought I'd post it fresh here. In the thread, Orejan first repeats a ruling he had given previously about the NVA Attack Bot procedure, but then overturns his rulings a few days later based on post from Volko which pointed out some semantic details in the rules as written:

Quote:
OK folks, forget everything I wrote about NVAbot Attacks before! Let's see if I can get it right this time - and I'm only talking about what the instructions actually say here, not what they were intended to say

Darn, I thought I was getting close to understanding things. This new way of looking at things leaves me very confused with respect to ambushes.

Quote:
Where there are fewer than 4 NVA Troops and NVA Ambush is possible, Ambush—first with Guerrillas on LoCs—until no further Ambush spaces are allowed. (Check now to see if Ambushing per below is possible; if not, Bombard per below before any Attacks if enemies would remain for Attacks to remove).

What does "first with Guerrillas on LOCs" mean? Originally, I took this to mean that an Ambush from an adjacent LOC would take priority over a small Troop Attack, but now I am unsure what it refers to.

The following comment confused me as well:

Quote:
And the last and worst quirk (and the reason I put the bolded part back into the quote above): the Ambush instructions further down in 8.6.2 only allow Attack+Ambush if the Ambushes will remove a total of 2 Bases, SF or US Troops. If only one possible Ambush space is selected, or if there are two possible Ambush spaces but one (or both) of them would only remove an ARVN cube, the bot will abort the Ambush and instead Bombard. (And if it does abort Ambushes and can't instead Attack with 4+ Guerrillas or 2-3 Troops in the same spaces, it won't select any new Attack spaces to replace the aborted ones.)

How does an Ambush space get selected in the first place if it can only remove a cube?

If this is right, and the selection of a Ambush space that will only remove a cube is possible, does that mean that this is the proper way to resolve this situation?

Example: NVA has 3 resources. There are several spaces in South Vietnam that can be regular targets. There are also 2 LOCs adjacent to spaces in Laos/Cambodia with ARVN cubes that can be removed.

So we are selecting spaces. First priority are the Laos/Cambodia spaces. Both spaces are selected, with the only possible removals being via Ambush from the adjacent LOC.

With the one resource left, we select the highest priority space we can find in South Vietnam. With that, we have selected our 3 Attack spaces and it is on to the specifics. This is where we check our Ambushes, and lo and behold, they will only remove ARVN cubes, so the Ambush is aborted, and, as per your instructions, no spaces are selected to replace the aborted ones.

So, in this instance, despite the fact that NVA has 3 resources, only 1 resource will be spent on a single attack (the highest priority attack in South Vietnam). Is this correct?

Another question: when selecting Attack spaces, and an Ambush from an LOC into an adjacent space is selected, which space is actually considered to be the Attack Space?

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Wigdor
United States
Lake Hiawatha
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Is there any reason these questions are going unanswered, while others are being addressed?

I know they may seem fussy, but I need to fully understand the process. I am writing a Fire in the Lake program for Wargameroom, and will eventually include bots for at least the insurgent side.

I did a whole lot of programming based on Orejan's original rulings, and
now I need to redo it all. But the new ruling has left me confused, as I stated above, and I want to make sure I have everything clear this time, because I do not want to have to do things a third time. Please help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Forum posts go unanswered when my internet connection breaks down when I try to post the reply, and I'm too busy with other projects and/or questions to find the now unflagged thread again to check whether or not my reply arrived at the forum. With the sh*tty connection I have on the commuter train to/from work - that's where I do most of the COIN support - that happens depressingly often.

"Ambush - first with Guerrillas on LoCs" means that if you are to Ambush, do so with Guerrillas on LoCs before Ambushing with Guerrillas not on LoCs. Attacks with 2-3 Troops or 4+ Guerrillas are resolved after all Ambushes, so have nothing to do with that "first with" clause.

The Attack or Ambush spaces - i.e.,the ones that determine how many Resources to pay for the Op - are always those where the Attacking/Ambushing units are located. The target spaces are those from which enemy pieces are removed.

As for how impossible Ambush spaces can get selected at all, it is because NVAbot's Attack priorities don't actually select Ambush or even Attack spaces. Instead they select target spaces for the Attack Op, and only after selecting all target spaces they decide how to resolve the Attack on each such individual target space: with Troops, with Ambush, with 4+ Guerrillas, or even a combination of both Attack and Ambush (as Volko pointed out). Then the players have to work backwards from there to figure out which Attack/Ambush spaces the bot needs to formally select and pay for to resolve the entire Op&SA combo.

That's pretty bass-ackwards already; but what really messes it up is that the Ambush instructions has additional conditions for when NVAbot may Ambush, on top of those in the Attack instruction - and those additional conditions are explicitly checked during the "decide how to Attack" step, instead of during the earlier "select targets" space. Which is why NVAbot can currently end up selecting target spaces it won't actually hit...

Regards,
Oerjan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Wigdor
United States
Lake Hiawatha
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Quote:
"Ambush - first with Guerrillas on LoCs" means that if you are to Ambush, do so with Guerrillas on LoCs before Ambushing with Guerrillas not on LoCs. Attacks with 2-3 Troops or 4+ Guerrillas are resolved after all Ambushes, so have nothing to do with that "first with" clause.

OK, but in the quote below (from the original thread), you appear to say the opposite, and that is what confused me:

Quote:
I'm fairly certain that we intended this "Attack where XXX could be removed" to mean "Attack where doing so could cause XXX to be removed from anywhere", but the literal meaning of the phrase is "Attack where XXX could be remove from the Attack space itself". Such a literal reading puts Ambush LoCs that would remove pieces from another space rather than from itself below even the 2-3 Troops or 4+ Guerrillas with only 1 enemy piece to remove in the priority order.

So where do Ambushes from adjacent LOCs fit in this whole picture? I'm still confused. Is it like the top quote suggests, or like the bottom quote suggests?

Quote:
As for how impossible Ambush spaces can get selected at all, it is because NVAbot's Attack priorities don't actually select Ambush or even Attack spaces. Instead they select target spaces for the Attack Op, and only after selecting all target spaces they decide how to resolve the Attack on each such individual target space

OK, I'd like to ask a few questions about this process:

Now that Ambushes and normal Attacks can take place in the same space, when determining target space priority order, when calculating "the most enemy pieces total" that will be removed from a space, do you consider the combined number of pieces that will be removed?

When a space will be selected for both Attack and Ambush from an adjacent LOC, is it selected as a target space two separate times, or just once? If two separate times, when and how do you consider it a second time? If all at once, how do you determine how much it will cost in resources (for purposes of knowing when to stop selecting)?

Allowing NVAbot Ambushes and Attacks to occur in the same space has made things much messier.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
brucewig wrote:
Quote:

OK, but in the quote below (from the original thread), you appear to say the opposite, and that is what confused me:

Quote:
I'm fairly certain that we intended this "Attack where XXX could be removed" to mean "Attack where doing so could cause XXX to be removed from anywhere", but the literal meaning of the phrase is "Attack where XXX could be remove from the Attack space itself". Such a literal reading puts Ambush LoCs that would remove pieces from another space rather than from itself below even the 2-3 Troops or 4+ Guerrillas with only 1 enemy piece to remove in the priority order.

You're mixing up the two halves of the NVAbot Attack process. These two quotes discuss different parts of the process.

The "Attack where XXX could be removed" bit is part of the target space selection, specifically bullets 2 and 3 in the rulebook rule. In bullet 2 "XXX" is "the most enemy pieces total"; in bullet 3 it is "a Base, then SF, then Police and Troops equally".

The "Ambush - first with Guerrillas on LoCs" bit is from the WHICH NVA ATTACK part of the process (aka "decide how to resolve the Attack on each target space"), specifically the 6th bullet.

The two halves of the process do not have exactly the same order of priority/resolution.

Quote:
So where do Ambushes from adjacent LOCs fit in this whole picture? I'm still confused. Is it like the top quote suggests, or like the bottom quote suggests?

Both, at different times during the procedure. The first quote describes how the target space is selected at all, though at that time it hasn't yet been pointed out as an Ambush target (it could be an Attack target too or instead, or could get aborted); the second part describes how you determine that a particular target space actually is to be hit by an Ambush instead of (or in addition to), e.g., a 4+ Guerrilla Attack.

Quote:
Quote:
As for how impossible Ambush spaces can get selected at all, it is because NVAbot's Attack priorities don't actually select Ambush or even Attack spaces. Instead they select target spaces for the Attack Op, and only after selecting all target spaces they decide how to resolve the Attack on each such individual target space

OK, I'd like to ask a few questions about this process:

Now that Ambushes and normal Attacks can take place in the same space,

No, they can't. Each Ambush takes place in its own Attack space; for a LoC Ambush that Attack space is the LoC. They can however target the same space.

Quote:
when determining target space priority order, when calculating "the most enemy pieces total" that will be removed from a space, do you consider the combined number of pieces that will be removed?

Yes, except that the instruction doesn't say "will be removed". It says "could be removed", as in "but might not be if something goes wrong later in the procedure" - e.g., a failed Guerrilla Attack roll or an aborted Ambush.

Quote:
When a space will be selected for both Attack and Ambush from an adjacent LOC, is it selected as a target space two separate times, or just once? If two separate times, when and how do you consider it a second time? If all at once, how do you determine how much it will cost in resources (for purposes of knowing when to stop selecting)?

Each target space is selected once, by the first four bullets of the rulebook procedure.

The Attack spaces hitting each such target space are selected - this time in the rule 3.1 sense of the term - in the 5th through 9th bullets, with LoC Ambushes selected in the 6th bullet. Rule 3.1 says that a Faction can only select as many Op spaces as it can pay for, so if NVAbot runs out of Resources it has to ignore any target spaces that haven't been struck yet.

Quote:
Allowing NVAbot Ambushes and Attacks to occur in the same space has made things much messier.

Amen to that...

Regards,
Oerjan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Wigdor
United States
Lake Hiawatha
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Quote:
Each target space is selected once, by the first four bullets of the rulebook procedure.

The Attack spaces hitting each such target space are selected - this time in the rule 3.1 sense of the term - in the 5th through 9th bullets, with LoC Ambushes selected in the 6th bullet.

Wait, then--if each target space is selected once, and then the 5th through 9th bullets are then used to determine how each target space is attacked, how does a regular Attack ever combine in the same space with an Ambush from an adjacent LOC? The 5th through 8th bullets are worded so that only one of them ever applies (the 9th bullet applying to shaded PT-76).

Am I being dense and missing something? Looking at things this way, it seems like you still can't combine Attack and Ambush to remove pieces from the same space. I went back to the original thread where you discussed it, and I'm confused--it seems like you and Volko were treating Ambush LOCs as Target spaces for the purposes of the discussion.

Thanks for your patience!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
That's precisely why I too, in the previous thread on this subject, believed that the bot doesn't combine normal Attacks with LoC Ambushes into the same target space until Volko pointed out that it is at least theoretically possible...

Regards,
Oerjan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Wigdor
United States
Lake Hiawatha
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Yes, but is it indeed theoretically possible? I've gone back and read Volko's post and your response several times, and it seems to me that Volko's example incorrectly treats an Ambush source as a Target Space.

As you said:

Quote:
NVAbot's Attack priorities don't actually select Ambush or even Attack spaces. Instead they select target spaces for the Attack Op, and only after selecting all target spaces they decide how to resolve the Attack on each such individual target space:

The way it seems to me, the only way an LOC could ever be selected as a Target Space (while considering bullets 1 through 4) is if it has COIN pieces on it that could be removed. And even in that instance, when it comes time to resolve the Attack/Ambush on that individual Target Space, the 5th through 8th bullets will determine how COIN pieces will be removed from that LOC, not any other.

Again, am I missing something here, or was Volko's example actually not correct?

Thanks as always!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The part we were both missing is this:
brucewig wrote:
The 5th through 8th bullets are worded so that only one of them ever applies (the 9th bullet applying to shaded PT-76).

I thought so too, but it isn't true. Bullets 5-8 aren't evaluated simultaneously; instead they are a loop that you go through, one bullet at a time in order 5-6-7-8, for each of the target spaces selected by (and in the order determined by) bullets 1-4.

Note that "Ambush space" in bullet 6 is the space of the Ambushing Guerrilla, not the target space. (Cf. rule 4.4.3, "ROAD/RIVER AMBUSHES".) IOW, the "Ambush—first with Guerrillas on LoCs—until no further Ambush spaces are allowed" bit in bullet 6 means that at this point you execute all Ambushes in/into the single target space you're currently resolving, not that you execute all Ambushes for the entire Attack Op... I'm not entirely sure how this meshes with the "execute the entire SA at a single time" rule, though!

...and if all Ambushes against the current target space were from LoCs, then the space may still be eligible for a Guerrilla Attack or small Troop Attack in bullets 7 and 8. It would even be possible for a larger Troop Attack in bullet 5 to suffer enough attrition to make it eligible as a target for LoC Ambushes in bullet 6, by removing enough NVA Troops to leave only 3 or fewer.

brucewig wrote:
The way it seems to me, the only way an LOC could ever be selected as a Target Space (while considering bullets 1 through 4) is if it has COIN pieces on it that could be removed.

You don't need to select the LoC as a target space. Bullet 6 tells you to select a LoC as an Ambush space if it is adjacent to one of the target spaces selected by bullets 1-4.

Regards,
Oerjan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Wigdor
United States
Lake Hiawatha
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Quote:
Bullets 5-8 aren't evaluated simultaneously; instead they are a loop that you go through, one bullet at a time in order 5-6-7-8, for each of the target spaces selected by (and in the order determined by) bullets 1-4.

But the wording is such that it strongly implies exclusivity. The format of the bullets is literally

Bullet 5: if X, ...
Bullet 6: if not X, then if Y, ...
Bullet 7: if not X and not Y, then if Z, ...
Bullet 8, all others, ...

And indeed, your intent was exclusivity--that's what you meant the rules to say. And according to you, there was good reason for them to say that:

Quote:
(from the original thread) The bot does not use this option, because the instructions needed to make it do that were even longer and messier than the present ones. NVAbot uses a separate Attack space for each target space it selects.

I still don't see how it's not exclusive in the instances of bullets 7 and 8

Quote:
...and if all Ambushes against the current target space were from LoCs, then the space may still be eligible for a Guerrilla Attack or small Troop Attack in bullets 7 and 8.

How? Bullet 7 applies "Where there are fewer than 4 NVA Troops and NVA Ambush is not possible--" I'd say if an Ambush occurred, then it was possible, regardless of where it came from.

And Bullet 8 says to apply to all "remaining selected spaces", which to me reads like "all of the spaces that were not selected in bullets 5, 6, and 7." I don't understand how a space could possibly still be eligible for small troop attack once there has been an Ambush. What does "remaining selected spaces" mean other than spaces that didn't meet the requirements of one of bullets 5-7?

I don't get how you are reading these bullets to infer that they can go against your original intent of limiting each target space to one Attack space.

Quote:
It would even be possible for a larger Troop Attack in bullet 5 to suffer enough attrition to make it eligible as a target for LoC Ambushes in bullet 6, by removing enough NVA Troops to leave only 3 or fewer.

This one I actually get, but you don't have to read the rules that way--I don't understand where the rules demand that we must evaluate these one by one instead of a simultaneous method. Not when doing so goes against in the original intent. Not when the structure of the bullets so strongly suggests exclusivity. Not when going against the original intent makes things so much messier to calculate for both humans and computers.

I know you're trying to be true to the rules as written. But by focusing on one piece of semantic detail, you're throwing a lot of other rules out of focus. For example, why would bullet 8 be worded the way it is if bullets 5 through 8 weren't exclusive?

Anyway, forgive me for presuming to ask, but are you sure that this current interpretation is the one you want to stick with? I think it would be better to go back to your original intent, and I personally would argue that this is most in line with what the rules actually say.

If not, I've got a bunch of follow up questions, but I'll hold off on them until I at least get an understanding of how bullets 7 and 8 can result in additional attacks taking place even with a sequential reading, because right now, I still don't understand when or how it's possible.

Thanks again--sorry for being so fussy! Please bear with me--there really will be a great end result once all this is done! The program is shaping up very well!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Valdez
msg tools
brucewig wrote:
The program is shaping up very well!

Got any code posted on github, bitbucket or anywhere people can take a look at it? Would be interesting to read through the test cases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Wigdor
United States
Lake Hiawatha
New Jersey
flag msg tools
I don't share my code, Juan, but the first version of the program will probably be available for playtest soon at Wargameroom although no bots will be available in the first version.

Right now, the basic mechanics of the program for live players are reasonably well tested by me, as are all of the 1964 cards. Many, but not all, of the Insurgent Bot mechanics have been programmed. The bots are a long process--the regular mechanics are difficult algorithms, and most events need to have separate bot code from the human code.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
brucewig wrote:
Quote:
Bullets 5-8 aren't evaluated simultaneously; instead they are a loop that you go through, one bullet at a time in order 5-6-7-8, for each of the target spaces selected by (and in the order determined by) bullets 1-4.

But the wording is such that it strongly implies exclusivity. The format of the bullets is literally

Bullet 5: if X, ...
Bullet 6: if not X, then if Y, ...
Bullet 7: if not X and not Y, then if Z, ...
Bullet 8, all others, ...

You seem to be connecting these bullets into a single "IF X ... ELSE IF Y ... ELSE IF Z ... ELSE all others" statement. Those "ELSE"s aren't actually there; you added them in yourself. (As did I, previously.)

If these four bullets are instead executed as written, i.e., as separate statements without any "ELSE"s to connect them, and bullet 5's "..." part changes "X" into "not X" (which can happen under certain circumstances) - then by the time you get to executing bullet 6, its "IF not X" can evaluates as "true" for a space that was already selected by bullet 5. Similarly bullet 6 can change "Y" into "not Y", allowing bullets 7 or 8 to be executed in a space already hit by bullet 6 (but not one hit by bullet 5, since that's not allowed by rule 3.3.3).

Quote:
And indeed, your intent was exclusivity--that's what you meant the rules to say.

I did, yes. Volko seems to have had other intentions; and since he's both the lead designer and the one who put the actual rules text in question on paper, his intention trumps mine.

Quote:
And according to you, there was good reason for them to say that:

Quote:
(from the original thread) The bot does not use this option, because the instructions needed to make it do that were even longer and messier than the present ones. NVAbot uses a separate Attack space for each target space it selects.

If you read my last post in that thread, after I wrote the part you quote here, it says:
Oerjan wrote:
OK folks, forget everything I wrote about NVAbot Attacks before!

I meant that literally: forget what I wrote in the earlier posts of that thread, as well as in earlier threads on the same subject, because much of it was wrong. (And even in that last post, I still got "Attack" and "target" spaces mixed up... shake)

brucewig wrote:
I don't understand where the rules demand that we must evaluate these one by one instead of a simultaneous method.

Everywhere else in the bot flowcharts, in the entire COIN series, bot instruction bullets are executed one at a time from top to bottom unless the bullets themselves say otherwise using "within the above, ..." or "while executing the bullets below, ..." or some similar statement. There is no such statement about simultaneous application in NVAbot Attack bullets 5-8, so why would you treat them differently than all the other bot instructions that also lack such statements?

brucewig wrote:
I know you're trying to be true to the rules as written. But by focusing on one piece of semantic detail, you're throwing a lot of other rules out of focus. For example, why would bullet 8 be worded the way it is if bullets 5 through 8 weren't exclusive?

As a reminder that rule 3.3.3 doesn't allow two Attack resolutions in the same space. There ought to be a similar statement in bullet 7 too, BTW.

Quote:
Anyway, forgive me for presuming to ask, but are you sure that this current interpretation is the one you want to stick with?

I'm on record saying that the entire 8.6.2 section is a complete mess that needs to be rewritten from scratch. Until it is rewritten, we'll stick with Volko's intent that LoC Ambushes can strike the same target spaces as other Attacks.

Regards,
Oerjan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Valdez
msg tools
Oerjan wrote:

I'm on record saying that the entire 8.6.2 section is a complete mess that needs to be rewritten from scratch. Until it is rewritten, we'll stick with Volko's intent that LoC Ambushes can strike the same target spaces as other Attacks.

Regards,
Oerjan

Why not specify the bot behavior in Python? That would reduce the ambiguity quite a bit, and help expose edge cases. Python is very expressive, super easy to read and not difficult to write.

Just planting a seed here...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Wigdor
United States
Lake Hiawatha
New Jersey
flag msg tools
I still don't see how bullets 7 and 8 allow additional attacks, but fine, let's move on.

I'd like to go back to the original idea of space selection, in bullets 1-4.

When resources are limited, do you prioritize every space in the first step, or do you consider resources and stop at some point?

Example: There are 3 spaces with lots of ARVN Cubes, 2 NVA troops, and 2 adjacent LOCs each with a underground NVA Guerilla. There is also a space with 4 NVA Troops, 2 lone US bases, and no Ambush possibilities.

When prioritizing these spaces, the 3 spaces first mentioned get top priority, because 3 pieces could be removed, 2 by ambush and 1 by troop attack. The other space is last in priority because only 2 pieces could be removed, even if they are both US Bases.

So, how does all this get resolved if the NVA has 1 Reesource? Which spaces get selected in the opening process?. How about if the NVA has 4 Reesources? How many spaces do we select before we go to the 5th through 8th bullets?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
brucewig wrote:
I still don't see how bullets 7 and 8 allow additional attacks,

Write bullets 5-8 out as a series of separate IF statements (that are not linked by "ELSE"s), including the way each of them changes the status and number of both NVA and enemy units in the target space, then run them step by step as if you were debugging a computer program and see what happens. You'll probably be as surprised as I was by the outcome.

Quote:
but fine, let's move on.

I'd like to go back to the original idea of space selection, in bullets 1-4.

When resources are limited, do you prioritize every space in the first step,

Yes, since you don't yet know which spaces the bot will manage to hit. It might have to skip over one or more spaces in the priority list before it finds something it is actually able and allowed to hit.

Quote:
Example: There are 3 spaces with lots of ARVN Cubes, 2 NVA troops, and 2 adjacent LOCs each with a underground NVA Guerilla. There is also a space with 4 NVA Troops, 2 lone US bases, and no Ambush possibilities.

When prioritizing these spaces, the 3 spaces first mentioned get top priority, because 3 pieces could be removed, 2 by ambush and 1 by troop attack. The other space is last in priority because only 2 pieces could be removed, even if they are both US Bases.

So, how does all this get resolved if the NVA has 1 Reesource? Which spaces get selected in the opening process?. How about if the NVA has 4 Reesources? How many spaces do we select before we go to the 5th through 8th bullets?

As we will soon see, NVAbot won't choose the Attack Operation at all in this situation - that is to say, not unless the unshaded "PT-76" Capability is in play shake

Bullets 1-4 identifies and prioritizes target spaces. Since you don't actually pay anything for target spaces (only for Attack/Ambush spaces, but those haven't been determined yet), the Resource consideration doesn't come into play here - you don't yet know which space(s) the bot will actually Attack and/or Ambush, only the order in which it will try to Attack/Ambush them.

Once you do get to the 5th bullet, you start looking at the target spaces in priority order. The three "3 pieces removed" spaces all have the same priority, so per 8.2 you pick one of them by random roll and then apply bullets 5-8 to that space:

Bullet 5 - nope; only 2 NVA Troops there.
Bullet 6 - the bot tries to execute the Ambushes into that space, but per the Ambush instructions it will only Ambush if 2 enemy pieces that are not ARVN cubes are removed by the Ambush. Since it can only pay for 1 Ambush space (so can only remove 1 enemy piece by Ambush), and the Ambush would remove an ARVN cube anyway, it cancels the Ambushes entirely and instead tries to Bombard something.
Bullet 7 - nope; no NVA Guerrillas in the target space.
Bullet 8 - yep, 2 NVA Troops can remove 1 ARVN cube.

At this point the bot realizes that the Attack Op doesn't meet any of the conditions that would allow the bot to choose that Op in the first place! Note that the first diamond on the NVA flowchart says "Troop Attack will ...", not "...can...", so unless Attacking NVA Troops (not Guerrillas) are guaranteed to achieve at least one of the four tasks listed in the diamond the bot will skip to the next diamond (the one where it checks if it will use Terror). As we've seen above an Attack Op in this situation would only remove a single ARVN cube, which means that it doesn't achieve any of the four Attack tasks - so the bot won't Attack.

Not quite the result I would've preferred, with two unprotected US Bases ripe for removal! (Why on Earth the US put 2 Bases in the same space is a question for another time, I guess...)

IF unshaded PT-76 had been in play, then the Attack space would lose 1 NVA Troop before it could kill anything - which means that per bullet 8, the bot wouldn't even try to Attack in any of those three spaces since the lone remaining NVA Troop wouldn't be able to kill any enemies. Instead the bot would drop down to the 4th prioritized space, the one with the 4 NVA Troops and 2 US Bases; there losing 1 NVA Troop before Attacking still leaves 3 Troops, allowing it it to remove 1 US Base, and that is a valid achievement for an Attack Op so it would actually carry through with the Op.

Regards,
Oerjan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.