GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,272 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
6 
 Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

Star Wars: Armada» Forums » News

Subject: Preview of Squadrons from Corellian Conflict rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brain
United States
Belvidere
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the link: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/10/25/swm-dr...

They have some cool campaign rules for promoting squadrons to Veterans.

Here are the spoiled cards:









5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Riquelme
Chile
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, it says you'll need both rebel and empire fighter expansion packs
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brain
United States
Belvidere
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It says it comes with 16 unique squadron cards. I'm assuming 2 for each of the ships in the Rebel Fighter pack and 2 for each of the ships in the Imperial Fighter pack. In order to use all of the new cards, you will need both of those expansion packs.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Nogardo wrote:
So, it says you'll need both rebel and empire fighter expansion packs

If you want to use the squadrons from those packs.

I'll bet if you just had several Core Sets, you could still play the campaign, you just wouldn't be able to use, say, the A-Wing or TIE Interceptor squadron cards.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brain
United States
Belvidere
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on the 10 cards spoiled, we are still missing a few cards. Any guesses on what's missing?

Here are my guesses:

TIE Advanced - Maarek Stele
TIE Advanced - Tempest Squadron
A-Wing - Green Squadron
B-Wing - Blue Squadron
Y-Wing - Norra Wexley (since they are doing a lot of new canon characters) but it could be good old Horton Salm
Y-Wing - Gold Squadron
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
B wing has dagger squad on the back of the box, can't make it the text though.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einar J Wetaas
Norway
Risor
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to say I am not sold to this new product. It seems to be to large for most players to play in small groups. And very time consuming.
Some of the new squadron cards are also to good for the price. And will therefore ruin the balance of the game.
I cant se me using so much time on one game when there are so many good games out there. I like to play different games , not playing this game for many months before we can declare a winner.
As a family man and working man my free time playing games is limited to a few nights per month as I guess for many others.
This game will also make the players buy more heavily into this game to manage to compete at these high points games.

Dont get me wrong I love Armada. And will still love it and play it. But we all know the time it requires to play. If you lucky you may pull of 2 battles in one evening. I think I will keep it like that and then have time other games other nights.


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wetaas wrote:
Sorry to say I am not sold to this new product. It seems to be to large for most players to play in small groups. And very time consuming.
Some of the new squadron cards are also to good for the price. And will therefore ruin the balance of the game.
I cant se me using so much time on one game when there are so many good games out there. I like to play different games , not playing this game for many months before we can declare a winner.
As a family man and working man my free time playing games is limited to a few nights per month as I guess for many others.
This game will also make the players buy more heavily into this game to manage to compete at these high points games.

Dont get me wrong I love Armada. And will still love it and play it. But we all know the time it requires to play. If you lucky you may pull of 2 battles in one evening. I think I will keep it like that and then have time other games other nights.




Typically our group does 2 battles a get together (weekly, and we rotate). I don't see any of these cards ruining the game, they are just different flavours.

Campaign plans are already in the works as well. Often there is a second night that goes on at that.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einar J Wetaas
Norway
Risor
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
One quick example is the rogue squadron that trade escort ability for rogue ability and one point.
So now you hav X-wings that may move and shoot without ship activation. Who will ever choose a normal x-wing after this. With only one point you don't need to think of ships that can activate squadrons.
Then someone will say they loose the escort ability. But what do they need to escort they still have the bomber ability. They may do their job themselves.
I know I am a little harsh, but I feel some of the new titles cost to little and undermine all previous squadrons so they will never be considered.
One of the best thing I liked with armada was that you did not know what the opponent brought to the table. After this release we will probably see the death of some of the old squadrons, because the new ones are so much better than the old for a little point or two.
Then it is the same list again and again and you may just sell of all the other squadrons because now one will use them.

Please feel free to explain me why l am wrong. I would like to see it, but l can't at this moment.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christo Lockxxx
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
I can see your point I think the addition of these cards and hopefully more cards in future expansions will make a common XWing a rare sighting. However, the depth and tactics involved of using unique squadrons at just the right time will be amazing.

A Liberty has only 2 squadron spots. So, does putting Rogue Squadron into the build aid in getting some fighter coverage.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D F Visker
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
Amicis Inimicis Promptus
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wetaas wrote:
One quick example is the rogue squadron that trade escort ability for rogue ability and one point.
So now you have X-wings that may move and shoot without ship activation. Who will ever choose a normal x-wing after this. With only one point you don't need to think of ships that can activate squadrons.


I agree with you yhat I most certainly want to include this X-wing. The ability is good. But I don't see this ruining (or unbalancing the game because I believe that the impact will be too small. There is (probably) only one rogue squadron in the box anyway.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Marky
Hungary
Budaƶrs
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Visio wrote:
Wetaas wrote:
One quick example is the rogue squadron that trade escort ability for rogue ability and one point.
So now you have X-wings that may move and shoot without ship activation. Who will ever choose a normal x-wing after this. With only one point you don't need to think of ships that can activate squadrons.


I agree with you yhat I most certainly want to include this X-wing. The ability is good. But I don't see this ruining (or unbalancing the game because I believe that the impact will be too small. There is (probably) only one rogue squadron in the box anyway.


Rogue Squadron is a unique one, so you cannot have more than one copy of it in your whole army list.
5 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
skunk21 wrote:
Visio wrote:
Wetaas wrote:
One quick example is the rogue squadron that trade escort ability for rogue ability and one point.
So now you have X-wings that may move and shoot without ship activation. Who will ever choose a normal x-wing after this. With only one point you don't need to think of ships that can activate squadrons.


I agree with you yhat I most certainly want to include this X-wing. The ability is good. But I don't see this ruining (or unbalancing the game because I believe that the impact will be too small. There is (probably) only one rogue squadron in the box anyway.


Rogue Squadron is a unique one, so you cannot have more than one copy of it in your whole army list.


^
|
|
|


This. Rogue Squadron will probably be included in a lot of builds. It appears at first glance to be a good squadron. But you only get one.

I am *very* excited for this expansion to the game. It finally brings it up to the level that I have wanted in miniatures games for decades. Will I get around to running a campaign -- I don't know. Will be buying this product just in case? Absolutely.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
skunk21 wrote:
Visio wrote:
Wetaas wrote:
One quick example is the rogue squadron that trade escort ability for rogue ability and one point.
So now you have X-wings that may move and shoot without ship activation. Who will ever choose a normal x-wing after this. With only one point you don't need to think of ships that can activate squadrons.


I agree with you yhat I most certainly want to include this X-wing. The ability is good. But I don't see this ruining (or unbalancing the game because I believe that the impact will be too small. There is (probably) only one rogue squadron in the box anyway.


Rogue Squadron is a unique one, so you cannot have more than one copy of it in your whole army list.


Exactly, sounds a bit like you missed this Einar, these are all one offs. And the unique squads will die as quickly as any other non ace squads, as they do not have defence tokens.

Let's look at another example, Valen, He effectively gives everyone around him escort. That's pretty cool. But he shoots black dice at squads (.75 dmg each). He will be able to mop up generics, but scatter aces will give him fits, no accuracy.

Saber squad, not sure how useful an interceptor without counter is going to be. They die really fast as is. Might be interesting though.

One or 2 with jonus grit bomber forcing real engagement is pretty minor well, people tend to want to wipe your bombers off the face of the earth.

The black squad, all fear the 3 hull escort...
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wetaas wrote:
One quick example is the rogue squadron that trade escort ability for rogue ability and one point.
So now you hav X-wings that may move and shoot without ship activation. Who will ever choose a normal x-wing after this. With only one point you don't need to think of ships that can activate squadrons.
Then someone will say they loose the escort ability. But what do they need to escort they still have the bomber ability. They may do their job themselves.
I know I am a little harsh, but I feel some of the new titles cost to little and undermine all previous squadrons so they will never be considered.
One of the best thing I liked with armada was that you did not know what the opponent brought to the table. After this release we will probably see the death of some of the old squadrons, because the new ones are so much better than the old for a little point or two.
Then it is the same list again and again and you may just sell of all the other squadrons because now one will use them.

Please feel free to explain me why l am wrong. I would like to see it, but l can't at this moment.


Now you will have ONE X-Wing that can move and shoot. AND it won't benefit from Biggs. Also, Rogue squads do their thing during the Squadron phase, and so are vulnerable to ships and carriers during the Ship phase. That one extra point buys you some freedom, but it also carries a risk of the squad never getting to activate. Check this out: Biggs, X-Wing, X-Wing, Wedge, Jan, Rogue Squadron. Rogue Squadron is protected by Biggs and his ability, spreading damage to the cheaper X-Wings. Wedge is there to clear a path for Rogue Squad, which once it is free (either Wedge busting any squad engaging Rogue, or Jan's Intel) can then sprint out and unleash Bomber.
Or!
During the Squad phase, activate Rogue first, jump an opposing squad, then bring another X-Wing up to escort them. Next turn, bring up Biggs and a second X-Wing squad to spread damage even more.

If anything, I see these new squads as being a huge boost to the Wave 1 squads, and might help keep the game filled with swarms of TIEs, X-Wings, TIE Bombers and Y-Wings making bombing runs, essentially looking like the film.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, with VALEN, I think the idea would be to bring Valen with some TIEs -- the TIEs are throwing the blue dice to get accuracy and Valen is dishing out the pain. With Regular TIEs, most of them should get to re-roll a die (including Valen) thanks to SWARM.

Similarly, BIGGS seems like he will shine at giving X-Wings a new lease on life -- spreading damage around so that you don't lose any X-Wings until they've all maxed out damage. It pretty much insures you're going to win an attrition battle against a swarm of TIEs.

I can see all these guys' usefulness, but I'm not sure they're going to be "must haves" -- it's going to depend on an individual player's plan with his list and I think these are good additions.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einar J Wetaas
Norway
Risor
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
darthain wrote:
skunk21 wrote:
Visio wrote:
Wetaas wrote:
One quick example is the rogue squadron that trade escort ability for rogue ability and one point.
So now you have X-wings that may move and shoot without ship activation. Who will ever choose a normal x-wing after this. With only one point you don't need to think of ships that can activate squadrons.


I agree with you yhat I most certainly want to include this X-wing. The ability is good. But I don't see this ruining (or unbalancing the game because I believe that the impact will be too small. There is (probably) only one rogue squadron in the box anyway.


Rogue Squadron is a unique one, so you cannot have more than one copy of it in your whole army list.


Exactly, sounds a bit like you missed this Einar, these are all one offs. And the unique squads will die as quickly as any other non ace squads, as they do not have defence tokens.

Let's look at another example, Valen, He effectively gives everyone around him escort. That's pretty cool. But he shoots black dice at squads (.75 dmg each). He will be able to mop up generics, but scatter aces will give him fits, no accuracy.

Saber squad, not sure how useful an interceptor without counter is going to be. They die really fast as is. Might be interesting though.

One or 2 with jonus grit bomber forcing real engagement is pretty minor well, people tend to want to wipe your bombers off the face of the earth.

The black squad, all fear the 3 hull escort...


If this is the case IT change my worries.
If IT is an unique squadron I see no problem. But of course it will be chosen every time.
I know many are excited for this campaign and as much as I love armada I should have been to. But the fact is that it requires a lot of ships and time. Time that is not easy to give for many of us.
But for those who have this time it will be very fun :-)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wetaas wrote:

If this is the case IT change my worries.
If IT is an unique squadron I see no problem. But of course it will be chosen every time.
I know many are excited for this campaign and as much as I love armada I should have been to. But the fact is that it requires a lot of ships and time. Time that is not easy to give for many of us.
But for those who have this time it will be very fun :-)


The time commitment for the campaign is a thing, for sure. My group hasn't played Armada much because of that very reason- well, partly that, and because we were waiting for the campaign...

But as far as the new squads being chosen every time, I don't see it. For sure they provide new options, but they are just that. A Fireball doesn't get any less effective because there are new options. That mega-counter A-Wing will be just as effective attacking a protective TIE cloud. Rogue Squad is good, but a solo X-Wing squad tooling around space will be eaten by Interceptors. New options and combos featuring the OT/film ships are a huge bonus for me, someone who seldom delves into the EU and mostly wants giant pew-pew battles of Star Destroyers and X-Wings.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brain
United States
Belvidere
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kamekkusu wrote:
Based on the 10 cards spoiled, we are still missing a few cards. Any guesses on what's missing?

Here are my guesses:

TIE Advanced - Maarek Stele
TIE Advanced - Tempest Squadron
A-Wing - Green Squadron
B-Wing - Blue Squadron
Y-Wing - Norra Wexley (since they are doing a lot of new canon characters) but it could be good old Horton Salm
Y-Wing - Gold Squadron

Based on Organized Play ad for Campaign mode, the other B-Wing is Dagger Squadron.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/10/25/join-t...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.