Subject: Standard Game with Corporate Era cards - drawbacks? other issues? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vergililus De Kat
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys, small question:
Does anybody have experience playing the Standard Game (i.e. 1 production of each resource) and including the Corporate Era cards in the deck?

Does it make the game easier, harder, are there balance issues?

The reason for asking is this:
My wife and I played the Standard Game once, then switched to the Corporate variant and never looked back devil
We plan on introducing the game to our friends, starting with the Standard Game so nobody has to wory about their production.
But..., we don't want to go through the hassle of sorting out the CE cards.

I wouldn't force my friends to play with the Beginner Corporations, but I would exclude the CE corporations (I can see they're quite hard to play as a new player).

So... anybody has experience with this?
Would it make the game harder, easier, no difference?

Maybe this was playtested...?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Perello
Canada
Salmo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Want DnDeeples? I'm on Esty as MagnificentMeeples.
mbmbmbmbmb
My first game was played with the Corporate Era cards but the game's owner missed the part about 0 production so we all started at +1, and all it seemed to do was make the game shorter as the extra production just made it easier to do whatever it was we were trying to do. Once familiar with the game I wouldn't suggest this method as it seems to take away some of the struggle in the game, but for beginners I think it would be fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bård Holst
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vergilius wrote:
Hi guys, small question:
Does anybody have experience playing the Standard Game (i.e. 1 production of each resource) and including the Corporate Era cards in the deck?

Does it make the game easier, harder, are there balance issues?

The reason for asking is this:
My wife and I played the Standard Game once, then switched to the Corporate variant and never looked back devil
We plan on introducing the game to our friends, starting with the Standard Game so nobody has to wory about their production.

I wouldn't force my friends to play with the Beginner Corporations, but I would exclude the CE corporations (I can see they're quite hard to play as a new player).

So... anybody has experience with this?
Would it make the game harder, easier, no difference?

Maybe this was playtested...?

Since you would normally start the game with zero production (unless your corporation says otherwise) when playing with the corporate era it would of course make the game easier if you start with 1 production.
Haven't tried it though so I don't know if it's gamebreaking
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pacemaker 67
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
Vergilius wrote:

Keep them in the deck. When someone draws one, discard it and draw a new card. Did this with 3 new players the other night. No problem. Added maybe 1 minute to the game time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Örjan Almén
Sweden
Karlstad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The biggest issue would probably be that the games ends quicker so the engines don't build up as much as it would otherwise.

The idea with the Corporate Era is (partly) to not only terraform mars but also to build the production more than in the standard game. With starting production, some cards can be skipped (maybe you don't need them, you already got needed production etc) which otherwise would have been played.

I think you could play with starting production if you'd like, you won't ruin the game, but maybe it might feel that it ends more abrupt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vergililus De Kat
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies guys!

Relax wrote:
...all it seemed to do was make the game shorter as the extra production just made it easier to do whatever it was we were trying to do [...] but for beginners I think it would be fine...

Ah, we can make sure they're hooked from the first game devil

Nusferatu wrote:
...it would of course make the game easier if you start with 1 production. Haven't tried it though so I don't know if it's gamebreaking

Easier was what I would've guessed (also sprach Captain Obvious laugh), I was worried about other "side effects" (side effects may include addiction, urge to replay, lack of sleep whistle

pacemaker67 wrote:

Keep them in the deck. When someone draws one, discard it and draw a new card. Did this with 3 new players the other night. No problem. Added maybe 1 minute to the game time.

D'oh! Why didn't I think of that!... blush

orjanalmen wrote:
The biggest issue would probably be that the games ends quicker [...] you won't ruin the game, but maybe it might feel that it ends more abrupt.

Mmmh, quicker wouldn't be a problem: I'll be trying to hook them, not scare them away by saying a first game might last 3 hours.
But off course the abrupt ending might be a letdown...

I'll think it over and see what's best:
Play with the CE cards and risk an abrupt ending, or tell my friends to redraw if they discover a small red triangle.

Thanks again for the advice! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samantha Peacock
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
For my first game there were 5 players - 4 of us new and one teaching who had played several games before. We used the normal (not beginner), corporations, used all cards including the CE cards but started on 1 production for each resource, i.e. the set up I think you're suggesting. We (the new players) didn't know there were any other options or that some cards could have been removed but all loved the game. It still went on for a long time (around 3-3.5 hours) so I certainly didn't think it was "cut too short", although do bear in mind this was with 5 players with only one who had played before
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vergililus De Kat
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's the setup I had in mind indeed.
So you basically had no "drawbacks", thanks for sharing your experience.

I think I will limit the number of players to 4 though, just to avoid chaos .
I think I'll allow a redraw if they find a CE card. That way the new players will also get to know what else is in the game and they're "prepped" for the full game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
We played our first game in exactly this way by mistake, and it seemed to work just fine. Just a little less of a struggle at the outset than starting everything at 0.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
chaddyboy_2000 wrote:
We played our first game in exactly this way by mistake, and it seemed to work just fine. Just a little less of a struggle at the outset than starting everything at 0.

It worked fine for us as well, except the game was WAY too short. It still took us 2-2.5 hours, but it was only 5 generations! In comparison, I think my previous games had gone somewhere around 10-12 generations. Personally, I'd prefer starting with 0.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Örjan Almén
Sweden
Karlstad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
snoozefest wrote:
chaddyboy_2000 wrote:

It worked fine for us as well, except the game was WAY too short. It still took us 2-2.5 hours, but it was only 5 generations! In comparison, I think my previous games had gone somewhere around 10-12 generations. Personally, I'd prefer starting with 0.

This is exactly what I mean by the game ending more abrupt with having one production to start with in the Corporate Era game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.