Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ewan Anderson
United Kingdom
Ipswich
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Was lucky enough to get a copy of TM today in the post, one question came up after a read of the rules- can you split the reduction of resources?

Say I played a card which removed three plant resources, could I take one from player A, B & C? Or do all the resources have to be taken from one, single player

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arcturus2006 wrote:
Was lucky enough to get a copy of TM today in the post, one question came up after a read of the rules- can you split the reduction of resources?

Say I played a card which removed three plant resources, could I take one from player A, B & C? Or do all the resources have to be taken from one, single player

A single player. See the icon reference on page 15 of the rules.

Quote:
A card that removes red-bordered resources, may
remove those resources from any one player (this effect may
also be performed partly, or not at all).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ewan Anderson
United Kingdom
Ipswich
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Dave,
Was thinking of diving right in and using the advanced cards and corporations, would you recommend this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arcturus2006 wrote:
Thanks Dave,
Was thinking of diving right in and using the advanced cards and corporations, would you recommend this?

I can't comment, so far I've always been introducing new players using the standard game rules. Reading the forums here though I know some have done exactly what you suggest and have had no problems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
A card that removes red-borded resources, may remove those resources from any one player (this effect may also be performed partly, or not at all).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arcturus2006 wrote:
Thanks Dave,

it would be fine to go for it.

your first game will be quicker if you play by the beginner rules listed though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ewan Anderson
United Kingdom
Ipswich
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Michael and Dave,
Had another question about a corporation, the Tharsis Republic - do they get the three credits for the first action they take, which must be to place a city on the board? Or is this credit bonus only for subsequent cities? Cheers guys!

Also I have noticed the advanced cards have a lot of 'take that' type cards (raiders, robbers and such) is this generally true? Does it make the game more aggressive?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Ruckeisen
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This is also mentioned explicitly in the example on p.9 (emphasis mine):
Rulebook, p.9 wrote:
Kim can play Asteroid (card C) even if the temperature has reached its goal, but then she gets no TR. She may also choose not to remove any plants at all, or just do it partly (maybe only Kim herself has plants, or maybe Stanley or Robinson have less than 3 plants to remove). All plants must be taken from the same player, though.

As for diving right into a Corporate Era game, I think there's nothing wrong with it. Standard game does offer a kind of quick "warm-up" game to get used to the rules and the flow of the game, but I don't think CE is overwhelmingly complex or anything.

Edit on your follow-up questions:
Yes, Tharsis receives 3 M€ for any city they place (incl. the mandatory first action city placement, which is free btw), and it receives +1 M€ production for any city any player places (again incl. the mandatory first action city placement, but excluding Phobos and Ganymede, since those are not "on Mars").

The "aggro" cards which do nothing else but destroy or steal another player's resources are indeed unique to CE, but there aren't many of them, I can think of maybe 6-8 off the top of my head, so a good 10% of the CE cards. The standard cards also have their share of "destructive" cards with all the asteroid-like ones which destroy plants - CE only brings 1 more of those to the table. Arguably, the plant destruction is only a secondary effect of the asteroids, while Hackers, Raiders etc are mainly there to deliver a little sting, but the ratio of cards with which you can hurt your opponents stays about the same with CE included. I wouldn't say the gameplay gets more aggressive with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arcturus2006 wrote:
Thanks Michael and Dave,
Had another question about a corporation, the Tharsis Republic - do they get the three credits for the first action they take, which must be to place a city on the board? Or is this credit bonus only for subsequent cities? Cheers guys!

yes.

Re: tharsis republic

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.