Subject: Review of the Complete Game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ron Frazier
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone done a review on the final product yet? I'd like to see more of that art and game play reviewed. I'm hopeful that this game will be to fantasy what SotM is to superheroes for me, though it arguably has more going on mechanically than SotM does.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M K
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got the box but still waiting for sleeves before I give it a spin. never played sentinels tho (unless you count the app), so I couldn't really tell differences.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Newton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game has no yet shipped to US backers, so I have not played the final version.

I have only played Sentinels half a dozen time, and only tryed out the PnP demo from the Foe Hunter Kickstarter campaign once, but my feeling was that the Foe Hunter decks were very one dimensional. The Paladin deck was just damage reduction and a bit of counter attack, but no real offense. The Hunter deck had damage but no way to deal with a target that did not have health. In both cases, we had to look for a solution in the town deck. I assume that the gameplay will feel much different when I have more characters to play, more bosses to fight, and more card variety in the town deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Courtemanche
Canada
Bois-des-filion
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So far I've got 3 games under my belt. Not remotely close to enough to make an honest review but here's my take on it for now.

1. Solo (Paladin & Pathfinder vs Cult):
Went ok, I guess, but I messed up lots of effects to my own advantage. Didn't finish the game as it took forever and it was late but managed to lower the cult dude quite a bit, under twenties or so. Again, probably by cheating.

2. Two player (Necromancer & Forgemaster vs Cult):
It was terrible, I mean bad... I think the best we did to the Oleg'Dude was to lower him to 47 before he instantly went back to 50. It just didn't work, we had no engine what so ever.

3. Two player (Paladin & Pathfinder vs Pirate (Easy mode: City deck with only our class cards (and non-class specific ones)):
Well I thought the previous game went bad. Not even remotely close to this one. We never touched the Pirate dude. It never even flipped. There was 9 vassal and one perm. ability in play at the end. That was dealing 12 pts of damage a turn to the highest HP and 8 to the lowest HP a the beginning of the foe phase and healing the Foe for 9 HP. Plus, as I understood it, at least two cards flipped at the foe phase (which some of them flipped more). Senseless, just.. senseless.

So, it's either:
1- We're not playing right.
2- The game can be swigny to a new level of swigny.
3- Two player is just non playeable / totally unbalance.
4- All of the above.

I did play SotM, quite a bit actually, and I must say it does feel very close to SotM. The four classes we've tried feels very different and thematic. The play style although there's a bit of deck building (or card buying, I have yet to shuffle a discard), also feels a lot like SotM. You chain more cards in SotM rather then chaining triggers/effects in this one (if you're able to build an engine before cards gets destroyed) but all in all it really feels like SotM with a fantasy theme which is what I expected and wanted really.

I'm obviously not gonna rate the game based on what I've "played" so far, cause I feel it wouldn't do justice, but let's say I'm less confident it's a great game right now. I mean, the last game I played was well not a game really it was card reading and counting downward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Sinn
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
Based on early playtesting, and based on feedback from Larry, the game plays best at 4P. If playing solo or 2P, best that you control 4 characters, or 2 characters each (respectively). The enemy damage doesn't scale/spread quite as well among 1-2P. Much more difficult.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Courtemanche
Canada
Bois-des-filion
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I can indeed confirm, "more difficult" is the least you can say.

It's a shame tho' and a missed opportunity, a different foe card has been printed especially for two players. It could've been better balanced and adjusted for 2p. Although, I'm not a super fan of 2 players gaming anyway but you know from time to time, its nice to have the option anyway right...

Again, I want to pressure this, I need to get more tries before drawing conclusion as those last (first) three tries might have been flukes but anyway, let's just say that I can confirm that major flukes can happen in this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Madsen
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the game Warhammer Quest during the players turn they get 4 activation's regardless of player count; would something like that work in this game? That way if I'm playing with two characters they would each get activated twice during the heroes turn which, in theory, should help with the increased difficulty that has been mentioned in this thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Courtemanche
Canada
Bois-des-filion
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kylemadsen14 wrote:
In the game Warhammer Quest during the players turn they get 4 activation's regardless of player count; would something like that work in this game? That way if I'm playing with two characters they would each get activated twice during the heroes turn which, in theory, should help with the increased difficulty that has been mentioned in this thread.

Wow, I'll try it out. Playing Foe Hunters with 2 players made me realize that it'd give way more replay value or versatility, although there's technically less "combination" per say, each combination would really make the characters abilities and difference stand out.

Thanks for the idea / variant, I'll definitely try it out eventually.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Lembcke
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
Its definitely possible you may be doing something wrong, or just having horrid luck. The game has more of a Shadowrun Crossfire feel where it is purposefully difficult, so that that for what it's worth

I honestly almost made the 2p Foes a little harder because I personal found them too easy when I had them on the table (not that it means much since I am pretty familiar with the cards and mechanics There is some swing involved, especially if you get super unlucky with a card that chains into 2 or 3 more, but usually it is pretty manageable.

There are a couple of things I tested to make the game a little easier (you start the game with 2 Armor, you heal 2 HP each turn, etc.) You can try either of those out and see how it goes. It may be something I include in any future expansions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Wice
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mb
Interestingly it seems some players have had the opposite experience and complained it was too easy https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1664155/seems-repetitive

It sounds like you may be missing some of the combos or unecessarily handicapping yourself in some way. Though I do think the game is pretty challenging.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Wice
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mb
Here is a link to my first impressions of the final game https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1661777/foe-hunters-early-i... hope it helps. If you don't like hard games like Ghost Stories, you may not like it. My group loves it, but to each their own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Newton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RobutMike wrote:
Interestingly it seems some players have had the opposite experience and complained it was too easy https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1664155/seems-repetitive

It sounds like you may be missing some of the combos or unecessarily handicapping yourself in some way. Though I do think the game is pretty challenging.

Could it be the characters you used? My copy is still in mail, but during the campaign, I tried the print and play (Paladin and Pathfinder vs. The Cult) and found it fairly forgiving. I was able to absorb and mitigate almost all of the damage on the Paladin while my girlfriend unloaded on the enemies using the Pathfinder. At that time, The Cult was supposed to be the easy, first game Foe, so I assume that it was supposed to be that way. If you found the boss to be hard (and Larry did not tweak it), it could be that the characters that I (and the poster in the other thread) used are just better at killing the cult than the Necromancer and Forgemaster that you used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.