Colony» Forums » Variants

Subject: Improved Solo-Variant? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Markus Steger
Austria
Absam
flag msg tools
Are there any ideas out there to improve the solo-variant?
Is somebody working on his own solo-ruleset?
The original rules a disappointing for me, but would like to play this solo...

Thanks for any ideas

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hopkins
United States
Rockford
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fabio0907 wrote:
Are there any ideas out there to improve the solo-variant?
Is somebody working on his own solo-ruleset?
The original rules a disappointing for me, but would like to play this solo...

Thanks for any ideas

What don't you like about them? I really enjoyed the solo variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Alspach
United States
Louisville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Preorder One Night Ultimate Werewolf now from www.beziergames.com
badge
One Night Ultimate Werewolf
mbmbmb
What aspect of the solo game didn't you enjoy?

I tried several different variations, but the published version is one that was really compelling and kind of addictive..."just one more game...this time with card X" sort of thing...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Steger
Austria
Absam
flag msg tools
I would like to challenge a an AI player. High score race i like not that much,
Especially in this case - if you try other cards every time ( which is intendet ) i cant see progression or compare my results.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Alspach
United States
Louisville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmb
Fabio0907 wrote:
I would like to challenge a an AI player. High score race i like not that much,
Especially in this case - if you try other cards every time ( which is intendet ) i cant see progression or compare my results.

I'm definitely open to what other people might have in terms of suggestions, as I unfortunately wasn't able to come up with a reasonable set of rules for an AI player that someone could easily follow in order for the AI player to make appropriate decisions. One thing that was tried and abandoned was for the AI player to roll and KEEP all three dice on his turn, while the human player would roll three and keep two of his choice (giving the other resource to the AI player). The biggest issue here is making reasonable purchase and exchange choices for the AI player; there isn't necessarily a "right" strategy in the short term without considering long term effects of short term choices as well as what the other players are doing. In other words, tactical decisions are really only valid when comparing them to the long term strategic goals of the player and his opponents. This is how the game plays out with multiple players, of course, and it provides a really good balance and requires some tough decisions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Steger
Austria
Absam
flag msg tools
Thanks Ted for your quick answer!
I understand that this is a challenging thing to do - i think this is a great game and i would love to play this solo ( i am an enthusiastic member of the 1player community ) and have some kind of goal to achieve.
Perhaps it would have been nice to give the soloplayer a bunch of defined setups and he has to reach a certain amount of vp before the dice run out to "survive" and reach the next setup. The setups could also be told as a kind of story and campaign in this postapocalyptic environment. That would have been great.
Perhaps i will think about this and try to create something that way for me.
Would be nice to stay in touch with you.
I think this game is a great production!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Coppini
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree it would be great if someone else one day comes up with an AI variant, but for now I'm also quite happy with the current solo rules, I really like the idea of the dice running out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Steger
Austria
Absam
flag msg tools
One Question: i hope i am right that in the sologame you also get 3 resources in your warehouse at the start of the game ?
I am asking because this is not mentioned in the solorules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Alspach
United States
Louisville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmb
Yes, you do.

AND you go first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Esserlieu
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've tried a few solo games, and my main dislike is that it feels a bit too aggressive by discarding 2 dice every round (having you finish in ~13-14 rounds). So far I've tried 2 games with 40 dice (recycle the first 10 dice) and I've found I like it a bit better. It allows me to create a more cohesive strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.