Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm trying to figure out how the sustenance phase works. It appears from rules that it is not enough to be able to feed your workers using stored food, but you also must have the production to feed them all? Or am I reading that wrong, and you must simply have enough food available to feed your citizens/merchants?

Here's a hypothetical scenario:

End of year, just before sustenance phase: have 1 food in storage, one citizen on a factory, no food production buildings.

What happens next?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Puls
Germany
Oldenburg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
The citizen eats the 1 food and is happy. The 1 food is gone.
If you had also 1 food production you could choose how to sustain your citizen. Either take the 1 food from the storage and put the newly produced food on the hunting lodge or take the newly produced food and keep the 1 food in the storage. Your choice.
Or short: existing food + produced food - demanded food = new number of food in village.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
wredo wrote:
If you had also 1 food production you could choose how to sustain your citizen. Either take the 1 food from the storage and put the newly produced food on the hunting lodge or take the newly produced food and keep the 1 food in the storage. Your choice.
Or short: existing food + produced food - demanded food = new number of food in village.

Thanks Tim!

also, if I don't have enough food, then is it the case that the worker must be placed back on its residence building (made unemployed)? Or would it be removed from my board (starved?). If the worker becomes unemployed, would I be able to re-employ him in the next round as usual?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Puls
Germany
Oldenburg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
Nobody is dying in my game.
Unpaid citizen just go home and relax. As soon as you pay them again they will work again. They are not resentful.
So yes. You can re-employ them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
wredo wrote:
Nobody is dying in my game.
Unpaid citizen just go home and relax. As soon as you pay them again they will work again. They are not resentful.
So yes. You can re-employ them.

That is truly awesome. My wife can't stand the feeding mechanism in Agricola. She takes it very personally!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geppo Muzzak
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So, following this example, you can take the food from the hunting lodge or the storage or the warehouse? Or... is it like the actions (mandatory from storage)?

EDIT: found on page 16 - any option is viable with sustenance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Hoffman

Utah
msg tools
wredo wrote:

Sorry on that note...so you do actually have to feed/discard your food per worker etc. i was confused that maybe if your production was enough to feed your workers, you didnt have to feed them, it was considered covered. but you do in fact discard food for each worker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Food is gone. The rules are not as straightforward as they might be because they need to handle a lot of different cases, but fundamentally, you pay 1 food to feed each citizen and you pay 2 food and 1 robe to feed each merchant.

These goods can come from anywhere, not just your storage. The complicated piece is that the payment of sustenance is interleaved with the production of the sustenance goods so you can feed a worker with goods you had before the sustenance phase, goods you produced during the sustenance phase, or some mixture. But yes, you discard the required goods.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
lowplayercount.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
robbieboy41 wrote:
wredo wrote:

Sorry on that note...so you do actually have to feed/discard your food per worker etc. i was confused that maybe if your production was enough to feed your workers, you didnt have to feed them, it was considered covered. but you do in fact discard food for each worker.

You only discard food in excess of what you produce. Then you do not produce food. There's no need to discard, then just put it back. If you need more food than you can produce, you need to discard from your stores to cover it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.