High Frontier (3rd edition)» Forums » Variants

Subject: 7th Factory/No Freighter Variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
If you don't have a freighter in play, then as a free action you may replace any small cube with a big cube. You may replace the big cube with a small cube as a free action, if you do not have any cards in the freighter stack. The big cube factory is treated as a freighter except it cannot and may not move and it does not allow the digital swap operation. If the big cube is on the board, you may only produce a freighter at the location of the big cube, which replaces the big cube with the newly built freighter.

This is intended for the following purposes:
-> To allow players to store cards at the location of a factory without taking up one outpost.
-> To allow players to build a seventh factory without having to build a freighter and then move it all the way over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Doull
Australia
Kirrawee
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm not sure what this variant is supposed to achieve. By the time you have your sixth factory, you're almost always going to have a promoted freighter in play, which you can never remove from the game. At that point 'If you don't have a freighter in play' will never apply.

And your promoted freighter always acts as a 7th factory when it is on one of your claims, which is why the component list has only 6 small cubes, but 7 domes (colonies).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Gastonguay
United States
Pottstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Act Three! Everybody Dies!
mbmbmbmbmb
I can see this if you're not using the freighter module. Or not using the colony module but are using the Endgame module.

Sure, there's some use for this.

I know lots of people try to think of ways to make the game longer because it's too dang fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
andrewdoull wrote:
I'm not sure what this variant is supposed to achieve. By the time you have your sixth factory, you're almost always going to have a promoted freighter in play, which you can never remove from the game. At that point 'If you don't have a freighter in play' will never apply.

It's mainly a patch over a hole I ran into in a solitaire game I played yesterday. Over the course of the game, I built all of 8 factories and no freighters (partially because I never saw the point and partially because I didn't have the time/money/spectral type).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.