Conquest of Paradise» Forums » Variants

Subject: Non-combat, wife-friendly variant? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Have faith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How possible is it with this game to come up with a no-warfare variant, where players work for an economic victory only?

I think my wife might like this game, if the confrontatonal aspect were left out, to make it more a "multiplayer solitaire" game. (I myself would enjoy the combat, but confronatational games don't appeal my wife.)

From reading some reviews, it sounds like combat is not necessarily a big part of this game.

I realize it might be a capital offense to ask this about a GMT game, but humor me folks. My wife is my main gaming partner, so I do what I can, OK?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McPartland
United States
Jessup
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
Oliver Hazard Perry leader counter from Amateurs, To Arms! by Clash of Arms Games.
badge
Warrior Band counter for Conquest of Paradise by GMT Games.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, despite GMT reputation for great wargames, and even the occasional heavy, high-complexity wargame (that only a grognard could love) they've done some non-combat euro games as well!

You have heard right, combat is not a big part of Conquest of Paradise. Many games do become the "multiplayer solitaire" situation that you mention. But this happens when all players are finding plenty of islands with resources for them to develop, while keeping a wary eye on their opponents.

But if a player is unlucky at finding good islands, he must have an option to get some- and taking them in combat is that way. Oh, there's other ways- poaching an island that another has explored before he's able to colonize it, for example.

So you could have a house "no combat" rule, but realize that luck will become a larger factor. Or better still, allow combat against the non-player independent islands, but not against other players. This would work particularly well in two-player games, where both players have easy access to those independent islands.

I'd say go for it, and see what happens!

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Have faith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many thanks for the reply, Kevin. I've been dying for an answer all day, ever since I posted.

One reviewer said 2p games tend to be more about exploration than competition, which also gave me hope.

This looks like such a great game. I wish you great success with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McPartland
United States
Jessup
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
Oliver Hazard Perry leader counter from Amateurs, To Arms! by Clash of Arms Games.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm... never got notice of your last post, even though I am subscribed... well better late than never. Sorry I took so long with the first response, too. And thanks for your good wishes!

Whether any particular game of CoP is more about exploration or about competition has more to do with the attitude of the players than the number of players. I have seen games between two grognards that almost immediately fell into attack and counterattack. But even two-player games are more likely to have no battles at all. Actually, three-player games are the most likely to be peacefull, empire building games. The natural dynamic in any three-player game is to avoid conflict, since if you are in conflict with one other player, the third player has a major advantage. (Unless one player is winning, and the other two gang up on him!)

Playtests of CoP with my church game group usually were very peacefull four-player games, sometimes completed in as little as 45 min. They had played the game many times before, none of the players were the type to slowly agonize over moves, and (as you might expect) they were nearly always peaceful. devil

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain K
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Interesting comments Kevin. It sounds like the game's character adapts well to different styles of play. Now if I could just convince others *not* to gang up on me in three player games ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McPartland
United States
Jessup
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
...the game's character adapts well to different styles of play.

Yes it does; but there can sometimes be trouble. If some of the players are very wargame-attitude, while others are peaceful empire builders, there can be some bitterness generated. The peaceful empire builders can sometimes take it very personally when they are attacked by the wargamer types.

But when the whole group has a similar attitude towards a style of play, it is truly remarkable to see the game change its nature to match the group. I honestly do not know of any other game that has this attribute.

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.