15 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: How is the difficulty? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anon Y. Mous
msg tools
mbmb
A lot of co-op games lately have been disappointingly easy, as if scenarios are designed to be won on the first attempt rather than present a proper challenge, and any depth to their mechanics is wasted because the standard for winning is so low as to not require any real understanding of how to play. Is Gloomhaven different?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hladky
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
Currently working on Perdition's Mouth Board game content
badge
Imperial Assault - Imperial Player
mbmbmbmbmb
Not true, actually. I played Galaxy Defenders last time and was beaten badly even in the first mission. Yesterday we played a third Mice and Mystics scenario and we were beaten as well (we had really bad luck rolling for enemy attacks). I would rather not speak about our Descent campaign.

Speaking of Gloomhaven, the difficulty is very flexible here. The standard difficulty is being calculated from the "average level" of your group, but you can modify it significantly by using stronger/weaker enemies if you feel it is too easy for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
Gloomhaven is VERY different.

Aside from the 95 scenarios, there is also a random scenario generator with hundreds of combinations.

Each scenario difficulty scales depending on the level of the characters involved, and how many there are. Want to play the game with four level-9 characters or just two level-1 characters. You can do that.

But more importantly, you can adjust the difficulty down by 1 step or up by 1 or 2 steps.

All of your concerns over some scenarios which are too easy or too hard are my concerns of every co-op game, and sadly, they are the reality for most other games. But not Gloomhaven. There is a reason why I class this game as an absolute masterpiece.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Malley
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So there really are 95 scenarios? That's cray-cray.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robinson Crusoe is not easy

Mercs Recon can be brutal

Warfighter: The Special Forces Card Game has 3 different theaters of campaigns, Jungle/Cartel isn't hard. Middle East Insurgents is hard. Middle East Military is brutal.

Even Flashpoint Fire Rescue has various difficulty levels to allow for some very difficult games.

Defenders of the Realm is no cakewalk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thornsen
United States
Nottingham
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Like Paul said, Gloomhaven comes with a built-in difficulty calculator that scales based on the size and level of the characters being used in the group. And there is also an option to raise or lower the difficulty by a few steps if your group wants to make a particular mission easier or harder.

At least for dungeon crawl type games, I've found that it's easy to invent house rules that scale the difficulty to an appropriate level, even if the official rules don't provide such an option (e.g. spawn more monsters, give the monsters more health, reduce the game timer, add more tiles to explore)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
calpurnio pison

rafelbunyol
valencia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i'd played the 2 print and play scenarios provided, and my friends and i found the game hard, but not overwhelming. in fact, i think i will reduce difficulty one level, because pathfinder has get me used to win without a lot of hardeness.

that said, i found spellweaver-skoundrel team as a very weak team. and i found that mission almost impossible. anyway, that was one of my first plays, and inexperience as a factor, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Caciolli
Italy
Padua
flag msg tools
mb
calpurnio1973 wrote:

that said, i found spellweaver-skoundrel team as a very weak team.

it seems a strikers team with no recovery ... challenging :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony B
United States
West Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ethereality wrote:
A lot of co-op games lately have been disappointingly easy, as if scenarios are designed to be won on the first attempt rather than present a proper challenge, and any depth to their mechanics is wasted because the standard for winning is so low as to not require any real understanding of how to play. Is Gloomhaven different?

I'd be curious to know what co-ops the op has found to be disappointingly easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Perschbacher
United States
Phoenix
AZ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is also the option to play with permanent character death devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raegan Ray-gun
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I actually think I can understand the OPs problem. Some people are more versed towards certain kinds of problem solving. Sometimes that makes you find co-op games far easier than a VS game. Like for me I found Arkham Horror very easy if played carefully and I know a lot of people at least used to find that game incredibly hard. I pre-ordered Gloomhaven and whilst I'm excited to play it I am concerned difficulty will be unengaging. The only games I've played recently that were co-ops and felt "hard" to me were Kingdom Death (though honestly I'm getting a grasp on that too now) and Galaxy Defenders (Made much easier if you play in a very "cheesy" way)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
We played two more scenarios yesterday. The game is very challenging indeed. Win/Lose a scenario is IMO a lot more about the skill of the players than to luck. We have been mentally exhausted (in a good way) at the end of each scenario, because it really is down to us. It's a real challenge, and it feels exciting and tense right from the outset.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Osborne
United States
Allen
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My friend and I don't get to play often and we've only done the first two scenarios.

They kicked our butts.

I know part of it is because of our character choices. I'm the Mindthief and he's the Tinkerer... took us 4 attempts on both to make it through both of those adventures and we were playing on normal. We thought about going to 0, but decided to tough it out. We were so happy when we completed each... but I know luck was a factor for us on the 2nd one as there weren't as many things to clear out (otherwise we would have ben exhausted WAY before the mission as to end).

So... that's our report so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M T
United States
flag msg tools
My group is finding Gloomhaven really well balanced. We're all well versed in gaming of the board, video and RPG variety. Gloomhaven scenarios on 'standard' level setting have often come down to the last turn or have us thinking that we were completely doomed only to come back with a last minute hail mary play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Stiles
United States
Brandon
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There are so many threads on this already sauron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.