Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Food Chain Magnate» Forums » Rules

Subject: what happens to a player's employee cards if his chain goes bankrupt? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
m rey
msg tools
Hello. My apologies if the answer has already been given, but I couldn't find one in the forum.

Q. What happens to a player's employee cards if his restaurant chain goes bankrupt and he is forced out of the game? We are in the middle of a crazy price war and a player who has the mandatory CFO milestone is going to go negative on this turn. According to previous rules clarifications, we understand that he must leave the game, but his restaurants and currently running marketing campaigns will stay in their placements on the board.

But what happens to his employee cards? He had the trainer milestone ($15 free salaries) so after firing all of his other salaried employees, he is still holding a zeppelin, a radio, and an exec VP, as well as numerous waitresses and pricing managers (the supplies of which depleted). When he goes out of the game, do all of these cards go back into the supply? Whether they do or not will certainly affect the outcome of the game for the remaining 4 players, as those cards will be scooped up if they are available.

This has been a marathon game so we have put the game on hold awaiting a definitive answer. No one wants to lose the game after all this time, only to find out they would have won because we got this wrong.

Thanks in advance for your replies!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think a chain can actually go bankrupt?? Up until the point where the CFO's ability kicks in, you can only ever earn money, and the CFO increases that amount by 50%. The CFO does not, for example, increase the amount you pay in wages by 50%.

In addition, just before you pay wages, you can fire as many employees as you want at "instant speed". Presumably if you are low on cash you are forced to do this up to the point where you are able to pay the remaining employees. So I would think that the correct resolution as written is that he has to get rid of employees until he can pay.

That said, that's also at a point in the game where tanking like this means it's impossible for you to win, and you might as well fold at that point. I'm interested in hearing good resolutions for how to handle player resignations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
flag msg tools
mb
You can in fact go bankrupt, because your prices can go negative, and if they're negative then you pay money to fulfill demand.

(It's pretty rare this is actually relevant, and I think even rarer that you'd go bankrupt unintentionally though--I think it'd only happen if your prices were intentionally negative, and you ended up fulfilling more demand than you wanted.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Huh. Well now I know: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/21114285#21114285

(The rest of that thread also resolves OP's question.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
m rey
msg tools
Thank you for the above replies, but I had already seen that thread and it didn't answer my question re: what to do with the bankrupt player's employees.

The scenario that brought about the bankruptcy was that said player was trying to force the other players to fire their salaried employees (he could keep three of his, because he had the $15 first trainer milestone) by fulfilling all the demand with a negative price. But what caused the bankruptcy is that another player unexpectedly added a garden to one of the houses and doubled the negative price for that house, which he had not counted on. He ended up negative by 8 dollars, when he was supposed to break even.

So, my question still remains: What happens to all of the bankrupted player's employees, salaried (including the 1x employees) and non-salaried (waitresses, etc). If they are returned to the supply, it will completely change the dynamics of our game, so we are anxious to know.

Anyone?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen Doumen
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Click to see this player's page
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mmrey wrote:
But what happens to his employee cards? He had the trainer milestone ($15 free salaries) so after firing all of his other salaried employees, he is still holding a zeppelin, a radio, and an exec VP, as well as numerous waitresses and pricing managers (the supplies of which depleted). When he goes out of the game, do all of these cards go back into the supply?

All employee cards go back to the supply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
m rey
msg tools
Wow. Thank you for the reply-- it doesn't get more definitive than that!

And thank you for creating such a spectacular game-- I and my games group cannot play it enough-- so fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Considering that a recurring strategy I use, even in 2-player, is to deplete all the employees which can't be upgraded ... this may help with that! Hah!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.