Alex
Canada
Candiac
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ouch!

I guess this is a golden opportunity to try out the empty West Germany opening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Empty W. Germany setup, headline Blockade, hold Decol, play as if aiming for Europe domination.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King in Green
Japan
flag msg tools
mb
Would be better with +2! You have 3 of the 4 USSR 'spread' cards. So you want DEFCON to come down. You also have several ones so it is to your advantage to have a coup war in Lebanon. You should get Libya and Thailand. If ME scoring & Nazi don't show then you might consider holding Nasser so you can score Egypt and spacing Decol for VP + spacing advantage. Romanian Abdication could be troublesome if you don't go 2 Greece/ 4 Italy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Wei
China
flag msg tools
This is a rare situation that I will consider to put less than 4 in W.G.

Setup : 3 France, 3 Italy, 1 W.G., +1 in Iran.

Headline: Romanian Abdication

Ensure W.G. with your Blockade(+1), COMECON(+3) and maybe Truman, Due to poor ops, you have to take the risk to straight event Nasser and do coup. Forget Asia since USSR also do not have path except De-stalination.

Space Vietnam and hold Decolonisation.

Who controls Greece lose the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
sankt wrote:

Ensure W.G. with your Blockade(+1), COMECON(+3) and maybe Truman, Due to poor ops, you have to take the risk to straight event Nasser and do coup. Forget Asia since USSR also do not have path except De-stalination.

Who controls Greece lose the game.

This almost exactly mirrors my thinking, but I'm surprised by the 1 in W.G. Is a USSR player likely to play a 4 OP into W.G. if you don't throw away that 1 influence? Any further explanation would be very welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Wei
China
flag msg tools
Benkyo wrote:

This almost exactly mirrors my thinking, but I'm surprised by the 1 in W.G. Is a USSR player likely to play a 4 OP into W.G. if you don't throw away that 1 influence? Any further explanation would be very welcome.

Usually Europe is considered naturally dominated by US (only 3 ops needed), so a 4-op single move to deny US 6vp is very,very effective -- that's why I mostly do coup Italy in AR1 against 4-3-3 setup.

1 in W.G. is more flexible, and to delay USSR's tempo, since USSR now need 2 Action Rounds to put influence, Iran/Panama seems to be safer. Also, a Truman exchange of 3 or 4 ips is also effective (You can consider drawn a 3-op card instead of Truman in your heart lol)

However, 3 France 4 Italy is a safer setup, but I think it's better to take the risk when you are already weaker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King in Green
Japan
flag msg tools
mb
3 France 4 Italy seems more reasonable to me personally. I shouldn't be surprised if the US has some trouble securing presence in the ME if it commits to taking WG turn 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul Harding wrote:
3 France 4 Italy seems more reasonable to me personally. I shouldn't be surprised if the US has some trouble securing presence in the ME if it commits to taking WG turn 1.

I'm thinking it might just come down to knowing your opponent. I'm guessing that everyone I've played against so far wouldn't put 4 OPs straight into WG, so 3/4 would be almost certainly better against them, but then I've never played against anyone of sankt's calibre.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Canada
Candiac
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sankt wrote:
1 in W.G. is more flexible, and to delay USSR's tempo, since USSR now need 2 Action Rounds to put influence

But if you are headlining Blockade (which is the idea behind the Empty West Germany opening) that influence will be lost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
afafard wrote:
sankt wrote:
1 in W.G. is more flexible, and to delay USSR's tempo, since USSR now need 2 Action Rounds to put influence

But if you are headlining Blockade (which is the idea behind the Empty West Germany opening) that influence will be lost.

sankt wrote:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Canada
Candiac
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. I. H
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
sankt wrote:

If USSR puts 4 in WG on AR1, you won't be secure with blockade. Also, a headline of Social Gov, De Gaul or Suez and you're pretty much screwed.

I mean, realistically, this hand is really really screwed and a forfeit is a quick way out of the misery, but I guess this might actually be the best solution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eighty6er wrote:
If USSR puts 4 in WG on AR1, you won't be secure with blockade. Also, a headline of Social Gov, De Gaul or Suez and you're pretty much screwed.

With sankt's setup, if USSR puts 4 in WG in AR 1 you play Truman and you are laughing.

I would never forfeit on Turn 1, and I'm pretty sure I've had worse opening hands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. I. H
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Benkyo wrote:
With sankt's setup, if USSR puts 4 in WG in AR 1 you play Truman and you are laughing.

I would never forfeit on Turn 1, and I'm pretty sure I've had worse opening hands.

You could laugh all you want, it is still very much open for a persistent USSR player. It's a valuable chance towards Europe control
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riku Riekkinen
Finland
Jyväskylä
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
4IT, 1SP, 1GR, 1TU, +1 Iran. Headline Blockade. Don´t play in Europe, if you can avoid it. I could even consider spacing a card (Decol or Vietnam depending on the flow).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H Sparks
United States
Wilmington
Delaware
flag msg tools
mb
eighty6er wrote:
Benkyo wrote:

You could laugh all you want, it is still very much open for a persistent USSR player. It's a valuable chance towards Europe control

European Control is usually a pipe dream if two fairly experienced players are going head to head.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DominiGeek
Dominican Republic
Santo Domingo
D.N.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Riku Riekkinen wrote:
4IT, 1SP, 1GR, 1TU, +1 Iran. Headline Blockade. Don´t play in Europe, if you can avoid it. I could even consider spacing a card (Decol or Vietnam depending on the flow).

I don´t have the stomach to do this set up. It shows how much I still need to learn from this great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. I. H
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
game_monkey wrote:
eighty6er wrote:
Benkyo wrote:

European Control is usually a pipe dream if two fairly experienced players are going head to head.

With a sucky hand like that, and a potential good one the other side, it's is almost doable early war. With Riku's setup it could be denied or delayed. Being dismissive of its possibility is what makes it work, it consumes much of your focus, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Valentine

Texas
msg tools
mb
Set up 4 France, 3 Italy, 2 Iran

Headline Blockade
AR1 COMECON, 1 influence to WG, Lebanon and Jordan (I normally hate to play to Jordan, but you lack the ops to go to Egypt and fight for Mideast presence)
AR2 Space Fidel
AR3 Romanian, coup Lebanon or control Jordan?
AR4 Nasser, coup Egypt?
AR5 Truman, 1 influence to Malaysia (unless you need it earlier for the event)
AR6 Vietnam, 2 influence to Thailand if defcon at 3 or below; event first and coup Vietnam if defcon at 4
Hold Decol

Obviously, the order and decisions may need to change depending on what opponent does, but that's a rough idea.

Try to maintain presence in the Mideast. The one influence in WG and late play of Truman hopefully keeps possibility of Euro dominance alive until Turn 2. Pray for a better hand on Turn 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H Sparks
United States
Wilmington
Delaware
flag msg tools
mb
Here's another option to keep Western Germany defended.

US +1
Truman
Blockade
Nasser
Vietnam
Decolonization
Comecon
Fidel
Romanian

4 Western Germany
3 Italy
+1 Italy

This limits the damage of Suez Canal.

Headline Blockade and Ditch Comecon with it.

AR1 The USSR most likely attempt the Iran Coup in this situation. Depends on what that have. Some players won't take the bait depending on what they have.

Then the rest of your turn will be reacting to USSR.

Suez will take you out of Israel if USSR so chooses, but you hopefully will get 2 recoup attempts in the Middle East Depending on what USSR plays of course.
You can attempt a coup or recoup of Iran with Romanian Abdication.
You can use Nasser for last ditch attempt with the 1 OP to retake Egypt or Iran if the USSR had a weak coup with only 1 OP of success.
Other option is to gun for Jordan and then Saudi Arabia in the future if USSR doesn’t react go for Iran or Suez.

Also if USSR doesn’t coup Iran the first turn try pop into Afghanistan with Romanian Abdication. It’s not a Battleground, but one of those that’s next to his Super Power, so if they coup it DefCon doesn’t drop and then you might get an coup attempt in Asia depending on what they do, but that presence will annoy them and have them possibly react to it.

Flat out 'Space' Decolonization during your turn.

Play Fidel towards the end of your turn AR4 or AR5 and use his OPS to try and realign him out.

And of course Vietnam Revolts last. You might get lucky and get a coup in Asia or Middle East and if Fidel is still around you get an extra realign. You might even get some more luck if USSR drops Containment on their last turn and you get 3 OPS out of Vietnam.

Keep Truman around till AR4 or 5 in case your opponent does something stupid in Europe. Then use his point for some of the above if needed.

Of course all these options depend on what your opponent is doing. Most likely as the U.S. you will be reacting defensively for the first couple of turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Bradley
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gosh. I feel like I need to play TS with a coach hanging over my shoulder critiquing my options. You guys are amazing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King in Green
Japan
flag msg tools
mb
If the USSR headlines RS/P then headlining Blockade loses WG. So 4/3 is rather risky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Wei
China
flag msg tools
Though I've given up 4-3-3 for a long period, I have to say, 4-3-3 is much better than 4-4-2 if you leave an open France after Turn 1 without seeing Euro Scoring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H Sparks
United States
Wilmington
Delaware
flag msg tools
mb
Paul Harding wrote:
If the USSR headlines RS/P then headlining Blockade loses WG. So 4/3 is rather risky.

Red Scare/Red Purge effects 'played' cards. A card discarded due to Blockade wouldn't be effected by the minus one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.