Talisman (Revised 4th Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Best way to introduce new players to Talisman? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
john kim
Canada
flag msg tools
Hey guys,

I've recently purchased the physical base game and all the expansions for talisman after being really impressed by the digital version. Just wondering what combinations of expansions you guys use when introducing new players to the game. Right now im thinking of using the scared pool, frostmarch and reaper and focus on the base board. There is also the allure of using the easy to understand corner boards(highlands/dungeon) to keep the players excited with exploring so I'm really stomped on this one.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fell
United States
East Patchogue
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi congratulations on your purchase. I think just the Reaper expansion would be good. Have fun and enjoy the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Dyer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Q: Best way to introduce new players to Talisman?
A: Beer.

Just reaper is fine, I would add City as the first corner, Dungeon second, Woodlands (which I've never used), and finally Highlands (which I dislike).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brant Benoit
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
New players are best introduced with the base game, and the Reaper expansion.
There's not too much to overwhelm. But, there's enough variety and flavour. Use as many characters as you want, just tailor the decks to only include the base game cards and Reaper in any of them (Purchase, Spells, Adventure, etc.). I also find adding the Warlock quests is easy enough as well.

I find the bigger, badder, and more expansive the game looks, the more new players are intimidated by it. Just the base board is plenty to start. Increasing player interaction when introducing new players is better, as everyone is more involved. When you throw in a couple of extra boards, it becomes pretty boring unless the number of players is very high.

If you're playing with 5 or more, adding two corners would be fine. Any less, and it's too expansive for much interaction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Talisman is pretty easy, the hardest expansions:

Blood Moon (fiddly day/nite)
Dragon (fiddly component rules)
Woodland (very different from other expansion boards)
Harbinger (new rules and harder game play)
Firelands (new rules and harder game play)

I would keep those expansions out. The rest is pretty much more of the same, except The City which is slightly more different.

Unknown to me yet, Catacylsm, haven't played it. Recent purchase for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Start with just the base game, then go from there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghool wrote:
I find the bigger, badder, and more expansive the game looks, the more new players are intimidated by it.

Stop playing with pansies ! Real players get excited by mammoth multi-board setups cool (see Arkham Horror in all its glory).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tylor Lilley
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I am not a big fan of the Lightbearers Alternate Ending from the Blood Moon expansion, I've found that turning the game into a Co-op can be a great way to get to teach the game as you play while everyone is on the same side. That way new players don't have to worry about being backstabbed or killed by other players, or feel like they are giving up information by asking questions about what they can and cant do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tylorlilley wrote:
That way new players don't have to worry about being backstabbed or killed by other players

cry

But, but... what else is there? Blood for the Blood God!

Also, not sure how you're going to get backstabbed (well, Assassin character not counted), that requires trust and letting someone that close, trust has no place in Talisman .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.