Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Fehr
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Hi there! Follow my gaming exploits on Twitter (fehrmeister)
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm very interested in this title, but I'm pretty new to wargaming, and I'm wondering how this "simulation" (as it's touted to be) works. I know that there are a lot of games out there where the victor is predetermined since the game is fairly scripted and historically accurate - in other words, the challenge for the one side isn't to win since the chances of that are slim to none, but rather the challenge is to do as well as possible in a losing effort and to watch how tweaks to historical strategy change the course of a battle.

How much is Europe Engulfed like that? Do the Axis have a reasonable shot at winning? How much leeway is given in the players' ability to change the course of history and try "far-out" strategies?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Heberer
United States
Lake Stevens
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Boy, that escalated quickly. I mean that really got out of hand fast.
mbmbmbmbmb
The way this game deals with being grounded in reality yet offering both players a chance to win is by making the victory condition time based. If the Axis player can keep the war from ending beyond the historical date of ending the axis wins.

In the tournament scenario, there are objectives which give each player VPs, and you don't play out the beginning and very end of the war. You catch Germany right before they make their thrust into Russia, and get to see the wave recede. You also have to deal with Allied invaders, since a victory point available to the Allies is to liberate Paris before the game ends.

So, in short, the game allows either side to win, but "winning" is a different term for the two sides.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i7dealer wrote:
You also have to deal with Allied invaders, since a victory point available to the Allies is to liberate Paris before the game ends.

Well, the Paris VP is only for the Tournament Scenario, but otherwise I agree.

It is possible for the Axis to win the war (and thus get a Decisive Victory for the game), by conquering France and either Britain or Russia, but it's quite unlikely. I'd say it happens in maybe 5% of games, if that. But actually, it's probably slightly more probable than an Allied Decisive (conquering Germany by May/June 1944).

In general, though, somewhere around 1943 the war turns into a holding action for the Axis, where they try to stay alive through 1945 for a victory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon M
United Kingdom
Hitchin
Herts
flag msg tools
The Axis can win the war in this game (not simulation). They do this by conquering two other major powers (i.e France and one of either UK or USSR).

This is not that common after your first few games though is still possible.

Once you have failed in this (say 1942-3) then you then play out to see how long it takes the Allies to conquer Germany.

The answer is thus both yes and no to your question.

The leeway you have is not in grand strategy. The Axis cannot invade the USA or make an alliance with France for instance. If wild ranging political leeway is where your fun lies I suggest a different game may be in order. There are quite a few other threads on this kind of thing that may be worth hunting for.

This game is really good but it is about managing expectations. If you go into it expecting a wild Axis and Allies type ride then you will be disapointed. Go into it expecting a tight game where minor choices snowball into Stalingrad style disasters and you will enjoy it. It has it's limitations but it is playable in a weekend and does leave you buzzing to try new things next time around.

If you do get it try the 1942 one map scenario first (available here to download) to get you up to speed with the East Front before plowing into the full campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Natta
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
Honestly I feel the game great in terms of choices, properly handling consequences. Meanwhile you're mostly channelled to the historical path, you can still attempt a Turkey rush, a race for Gibraltar, and a very deep tactical choices to do, especially after '43 where the mobility of all the armies is quite high due to 2 SA minimum.

And yes Axis can win, at least in those game terms or your own personal ones.
Actually I achieved front reversals in '44 as well (German Surprise Attacks in '44 can be very nasty actually), or bombed London up to the '44.
As the Allies, you can easily win by '44 if the Axis player let Italy surrender or even demoralize.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.