Subject: Covered Bridge and Horror Check rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Fazio
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
I'm playing a two-player "Escape from Innsmouth" scenario with both investigators currently inside the "Covered Bridge," and a scary Fallen One way out of our line-of-sight (I know there's no such thing in MoM 2.0, but the point is he's deep in the woods pretty far from us). He's technically within three spaces of our investigators though. Reading the rules for horror checks in second edition, I see: "Some effects, such as ranged attacks, horror checks, and monster effects, rely on range. The maximum range of these effects is three spaces. Range cannot be counted through walls or doors unless an effect specifically allows it."

The thing is, the covered bridge has a little yellow line at its opening, which is neither a wall nor a door (I think?), so when I count with my finger, I can 1) exit the bridge (south), 2) go east one space, then, 3) go north another space, and I'm in the woods with the monster. How would you play this?

A) No horror check required. If the monster is clearly out of line-of-sight, through a bunch of forest and on the other side of a wall, it's silly to roll a horror check.
B) No horror check because the yellow line opening to the "Covered Bridge" is actually a door.
C) Horror check. Rules is rules.

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank La Terra
Australia
flag msg tools
C)

Yellow line indicates new room/area, not a door.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed, it's C. Perhaps you can't see it, but you can hear it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Fazio
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Fair enough, thanks! And now I'll just assume the 4 damage he's taking from my .38 at the same range is from hearing the rapport of the gunshot inside the bridge! arrrh

Okay well, I think that's right too. Thanks for the confirmation and rationale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Suntman Mike
msg tools
Covered bridge in Escape from innsmouth? I never seen that map tile in this scenario. Besides I never seen woods in that either. Is that a "b" layout for this scenario, which I don't know?
What is a "fallen one"?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Lindberg
Sweden
lund
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could it be the new Dunwich scenario ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Fazio
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Oops! Dr. Dull has it right--I recorded the name wrong in the question. The scenario is "The Cult of Sentinel Hill," not "Escape from Innsmouth."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.