Popular Tags: [View All]
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb

Conquest of Paradise (Deluxe Second Edition)
A game for 1-4 players by Kevin McPartland

"And they called it paradise, the place to be,
They watched the hazy sun sinking in the sea"

- The Eagles (The Last Resort)

Introduction
Back in 2007, a great little game was released by GMT in a lovely linen finish box.

The original linen finish box sitting on top of the shiny new blue one.

I first tried out Conquest of Paradise back in 2009, and I loved it right away. I recommended it to other people, and introduced to several times to folks, usually to positive comments.

Imagine my delight then when GMT said they were going to release a second edition, complete with improved graphics, wooden pieces, and a mounted board. In addition, an unexpected bonus is the inclusion of solitaire playing rules.

This review is about the new deluxe edition. If you want to learn about the game play, please see my 2012 review, which also covers the expansion from C3i magazine.

Let's have a look inside the new box.

Components
First off, let's see what you get inside the box.

Contents

The new edition comes in the 3" deeper box that GMT has been using for a lot of its games lately. If you're the owner of the previous version, the differences are posted by the designer here, but the key highlights are:

- a mounted mapboard
- improved colours for the player pieces so they're easier to distinguish in low light
- formal inclusion of the random event cards that were previously only included in C3i magazine PLUS markers for these included in the counter sheet
- wooden pieces in all four player colours
- full colour rules and play aids
- rules for playing the game solitaire

Rules & Game Play
If you're unfamiliar with how the game plays, I refer you to my 2012 review. The game play remains unchanged, save that there are a few minor alterations such as the addition of one Arts & Culture card to make a full deck of 55.

The only other potentially major change is the addition of one row of hexes to the bottom of the map. I don't believe that should have a major impact to the experience, and I haven't yet played it enough to show me otherwise.

Solitaire
The one really exciting new addition are the solitaire rules.

I was part of the play test crew for the solitaire expansion (listed in the credits no less), and it makes Conquest of Paradise a challenging little puzzle for the solitaire gamer. While it won't replace the multiplayer experience for me, it does give a satisfying experience in about the same amount of time that a normal game takes.

The solitaire game uses a set of chits drawn from a cup, and the objective is to attain 30 victory points before you use more than 13 of the 15 chits in the cup. You are playing Tonga and your "opponent" gets Samoa, and the chits have two sides - one that expands Samoa's resources, and then the other gives Samoa an action, including attacks!

The solitaire rules are compatible with the original game, but you'll have to make up your own chits, which you can download and print from the GMT Games site.

And because I know someone will ask, no, there is no upgrade kit. You can order the new mounted map as an accessory for your first edition game, but the new cards, wooden pieces, colour rules, etc etc... don't come separate.

Conclusions
It's not often as a reviewer that I have an opportunity to write about a particular game more than once. It is increasingly common to see revised editions of previously published products, often with so little time between revised editions that one really wonders if it isn't just an attempt to extract more gaming dollars from the player purse.

The original Conquest of Paradise is and remains a great game. However, there is no denying that the original had its detractors with respect to the difficult to distinguish pastel palette, and the board while perfectly fine was cardboard and best held down with plexiglass.

Quite frankly, this is a time where it is delightful to see a new edition, not only because the original is long out of print, but because this edition has the table appeal that absolutely will attract people to try it not unlike how the deluxe edition of Twilight Struggle dramatically improved that modern classic's perceived quality.

For this edition of Conquest of Paradise, the mounted board, wooden pieces, attractive cards, better coloured player pieces, colour charts and rules, all contribute to a much nicer looking game on the table. I'll definitely have an easier time selling this experience to other gamers. The new solitaire option is fancy frosting on this already delicious cake.

I stand by my original review's conclusion:

what we really have here is a brilliant civilization building game with many of the core hallmarks of more complicated 4X games, wrapped in an attractive package absolutely soaking in well researched theme, plays in about 90-120 minutes, and plays equally well with 2, 3, or 4 players.

I merely amend this comment to say it plays equally well with 1.

Thank you for reading this latest installment of Roger's Reviews. I've been an avid board gamer all my life and a wargamer for over thirty years. I have a strong preference for well designed games that allow players to focus on trying to make good decisions.

Among my favourites I include Twilight Struggle, the Combat Commander Series, the Musket & Pike Battle Series, Julius Caesar, Maria, EastFront, Here I Stand, Napoleon's Triumph, Unhappy King Charles!

You can subscribe to my reviews at this geeklist: [Roger's Reviews] The Complete Collection and I also encourage you to purchase this very stylish microbadge: mb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ricotta
Japan
Okinawa
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I own the 1st edition and it is great fun! I'm a little sad this uses generic village market from Catan

I was corrected, the little houses are correct!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
All you need is love :)
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmb
Still waiting for my copy to arrive, but your review makes the wait worthwile! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Iver Wilhelmsen
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Luckily the mounted map board was a separate P500 for us 1st ed. owners, so that will eventually arrive as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's gorgeous. Like Roger, I playtested the new solitaire rules, and they are very good.

thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McPartland
United States
Jessup
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
Oliver Hazard Perry leader counter from Amateurs, To Arms! by Clash of Arms Games.
badge
Warrior Band counter for Conquest of Paradise by GMT Games.
mbmbmbmbmb
Great review! Thanks, Roger!

ricottma wrote:
I'm a little sad this uses generic village market from Catan

Actually, they're not. If you look at a Catan settlement, it has a base that is rectangular. The Villages used in CoP have a square base. This way, they fit precisely into the square boxes on the board and on the tiles. (The boxes had to be square because the Improved Agriculture markers, which are placed on the brown boxes, need to be square.)

Also, the form we used is fairly accurate for a Polynesian house. Some examples:

and:

Hope this helps!

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ricotta
Japan
Okinawa
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
KMcPartland wrote:
Great review! Thanks, Roger!

ricottma wrote:
I'm a little sad this uses generic village market from Catan

Actually, they're not.

Kevin

I stand corrected...cool!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Great review of a great game I enjoy very much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
It's gorgeous. Like Roger, I playtested the new solitaire rules, and they are very good.

thumbsup

I've played it solo twice now and have won twice. Wondering what I might be doing wrong. It hasn't been too hard to win. Though the second time I played, I won on the last turn possible. The A.I. isn't aggressive, but does get in your way just enough. But I'm always a little concerned when I win a solo game right away. Wondering if I have done any of the rules wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McPartland
United States
Jessup
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
Oliver Hazard Perry leader counter from Amateurs, To Arms! by Clash of Arms Games.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Wondering if I have done any of the rules wrong.

Hard to say from a distance; you may just be lucky. If you discover good islands- but not so good that they trigger another chit draw, and not too far away so that your opponent is already there- that can help. Simply rolling well enough to defeat the attacks that come your way certainly helps. And buying the right Arts & Culture cards is useful- Arioi and Cannibalism are particularly powerful in the solitaire game.

Also, the solitaire game was balanced to allow players a decent chance of winning. I don't like solitaire games that are nearly impossible to win, where you need really good luck as well as perfect game play to win. So the CoP solitaire engine might be a little easier to beat than what you're accustomed to.

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
patton55 wrote:
wifwendell wrote:

thumbsup

I've played it solo twice now and have won twice. Wondering what I might be doing wrong. It hasn't been too hard to win. Though the second time I played, I won on the last turn possible. The A.I. isn't aggressive, but does get in your way just enough. But I'm always a little concerned when I win a solo game right away. Wondering if I have done any of the rules wrong.

Well in my solitaire play I'm only 3-7!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
My only concern so far with the solo has been the A.I. player has made weak futile attacks, or the attack chits have come when the A.I. doesn't have a lot out. But I will say in my last game the bot attacked my home islands like three times and one attack could have gone either way, but the bot player rolled horrible.

I will have to play again and see how it goes and maybe give a report on it if I win again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McPartland
United States
Jessup
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the bot is set up to attack your most poorly defended island group that is in range. (Don't forget that the bot can Transit- if applicable- before stepping off two hexes to attack.) Often, that is a small outpost of yours that you don't mind losing. It can get quite nasty if the bot has drawn the Poi or Double Hulled Canoes cards that extends his movement to 3 hexes! But if nothing else is in range, it will attack your home islands. Sometimes repeatedly. But those attacks will get stronger each time! (Unless you have the Cannibalism card, and can make your opponent lose a War Canoe in his attack.)

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.