$30.00
Brad Robertson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
I am a new imperial player, we are playing our first time through the Return to Hoth campaign and we are about to play the intermission, Return to Echo Base. I'm looking for any suggestions, recommendations, help for this mission.

Rebels are Daila, Verena, Murne, Jyn.

Imperial Class Armor Onslaught. I was thinking of taking the AT-ST, Tank, Nexu, Elite Nexu for my open groups. I'm thinking of letting the rebel figures take the terminal by the storm troopers and doing all I can to defend the north terminal.

Thank you for any and all suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
When I destroyed my rebels during Return to Echo Base, I was using the Armored Onslaught class too, but the rebels had a very different team. Without knowing all the upgrades in your game, I can just mention some general advice.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
This mission has a time limit. While the limit is not a hard one, you'll eventually be getting a lot of threat per round. Delaying the rebels is a great way to win and one they won't be as worried about unless they are smart.

You have listed a lot of big expensive figures to bring to the party. While they are good units for blocking corridors, I think you'll let the rebels advance too far while saving for the threat to deploy them. While you'll get a lot of threat later on, you'll actually start off a little starved unless you have banes to boost your starting level. The tank and AT-ST will also have trouble maneuvering and can't go inside any buildings.

In the interest of slowing the rebels, I'd also suggest heavily guarding the southern terminal. It is almost twice as far from the central area that will be unlocked in the end. That will really help you have time to use your reserved troops that come out later. Otherwise the rebels just jump right to shooting the big gun. Thinking back on it all, my best suggestion would be to bring along the elite snowtroopers. Combining 6 snowtroopers with the ability to heal each other in a 2x3 area can make for a great wall (at least without Fenn to blast them)!

This mission is statistically in your favor too if I remember correctly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Robertson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Thank you so much for the input Joe, I greatly appreciate it. I actually was running some numbers today and was thinking instead of going with this group.
Elite Snowtroopers, Elite Nexu, Elite E-Web Engineer, Elite Probe Droid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
Once the rebels start to one-shot your elites, switch back to regulars. It still takes them an attack, but costs you less per figure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
So how'd it go? I'll soon be on the receiving end of the imperial storm on this mission!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Robertson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Joe, we are actually playing today, I'll let you know once we are done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Robertson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Joe, it started out rough, they rolled 3 straight dodges for the first three attacks on Diala, and by the end of round 4 (actual round 2) they had activated the first terminal. But between the elite snow troopers, Elite wampa, regular SNOWTROOPERS I managed to flip 2 of them and have them pinned in the middle where they surendered, never getting the 2nd blue terminal. They got all 4 crates but couldn't see going on because of how quickly the threat level got out of control for them. Good luck on your next play through.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
Three early whiffs, but an early Imperial victory. Nice work! That doesn't bode well for me though. We may have left a bane on the Imperial's side as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ross
Scotland
Motherwell
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played this on Saturday and our poor rebel team got within touching distance of winning before our final hero was wounded.

We were Verena Talos, Mak Eshka'Rey, Saska Teft and MHD 19, we'd acquired the Echo Base Troopers as allies a while ago and deployed these as part of our set up, gambling with the unwelcome boost that would give the Empire.

***Spoilers*****

We made short work of the Snowtroopers and Wampas and then split the party to deal with the terminals. Mak dealt with the one on the bottom of the board and Saska took care of the furthest away terminal.

The Imperial player made very good use of the large boost to his threat and the additional deployments. A Wampa re-appeared at the top of the board trapping, stunning then flipping Saska.

Elite Royal Guard and an Elite Probe Droid joined the others in the fray.

The Echo Base Troopers put paid to Gen Sorrin before being killed in the end by the Royal Guard. That was no before Sorrin was able to order the Elite Probe Droid to devastating effect.

We converged on the final terminal and tried to deploy the Ion Cannon against the Imperial Fleet. We delivered a lot of hits, but the Imperial Player seemed to have a never ending supply of threat to chip away at our successes.

MHD 19 was the last one to fall, leaving us just 4 points short of the 10 we needed to destroy the fleet..

For any Imperial Player, I'd suggest always keep some threat back to help with the final terminal, but otherwise keep throwing things at the Rebels to slow them down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hickey
United States
Rossville
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
^^^^ Agree with holding some threat back for the final part of this mission. I (as the IP) went in knowing the high success rate for the Imperials to win this. I actually think that made me a little too confident.

Everything started off well enough. Gaarkhan and MHD-19 went for the north terminal while Verena, Loku, and the 2 Hoth troopers they brought in went for the southern terminal. Loku veered off and went for the red terminal area as he figured that would come into play as soon as the 2 blue terminals were taken out. Although true, Loku ended up not doing a whole lot while waiting. The north terminal was taken out quick enough, but the southern terminal area was filling up with troopers, fast. Verena was wounded, but hung on while the Hoth troopers soaked up some damage while Gaarkhan was trying to make a beeline over to help. Problem was, he had to deal with the Wampas and now General Sorin and a probe droid. MHD-19 eventually got there to help, but both MHD and Gaarkhan were wounded. One of the Wampas moved into the corridor with the blue terminal and finished taking out the Hoth Troopers while Verena made a last ditch effort to shut down that last blue terminal (but only managed to get 2 surges). Unfortunately, my snowtroopers with the Assassin attachment made it to where they were able to shoot through the Wampa (that Verena thought was shielding him) to make her withdraw. Loku moved into the area where the Wampas originally were as she (the only healthy figure left) was trying to help, but not get close enough to get set upon. Gaarkhan finally took out General Sorin and the probe droid, but was on the verge of collapsing. A group of stormtroopers finished him off while MHD-19 put his skates on and dashed over to the blue terminal and got the last remaining surge to finally get the Ion canons back online before being torn apart by the nearby wampa. Dengar showed up to surprise attack Loku who (by this time) was already next to the red terminal. She managed to get a total of 6 surges on her first try. This is where I should have held some threat back to counter some of this, but like I said... overconfident, so I was drunk on how much threat I was getting each round (I was up to 10 by this point) and I was happily bringing in all kinds of troops. Trouble was, it's a long haul from those green entry points to the red terminal area and with only 1 round to get them there, I just didn't have enough firepower to get Loku into a wounded state in time. However, it was STILL very close as on Loku's second chance with the Ion canon, she only got 1 surge with her first turn and EXACTLY 3 on her second attempt, which was just enough to destroy the incoming convoy. If she rolled one less surge, it was highly unlikely she would have made it to her next turn. So all in all, a very down to the wire mission and although I should have won this, I'm fine with how it played out.

Now I'm looking at "One Step Behind" as the next mission, and the percentages look like the Rebels win this one about 70+% of the time. OK... challenge accepted!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Roth
msg tools
I am the Imperial in an upcoming game doing this mission as well and that sounds epic.

One note: I hate to be "that guy", but
it specifically states that heroes can interact with the red terminal "once per activation", so Loku shouldn't have been able to make two attempts per turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.