Subject: Help - Combat Ratios rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mossy tangle
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mb
My 8YO is finally old enough to play decent games, and we're trying to figure out if wargaming is a direction we want to go. Strike Zone One and Napoleon at Waterloo are nice and free, so we crafted them this weekend. My wargame experience is minimal, so most of these rules are new to me, and I'm not great at math.

We're completely baffled by the combat ratios. I know I somehow have to reduce the attacking total of 9 and defending total of 7 to one of the ratios on the combat resolution chart, but I can't figure out how to do it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Cleland
Australia
Baulkham Hills
NSW
flag msg tools
But what do I spend it all on?
badge
Ohhh... G4GG!
mbmbmbmbmb
Relevant part of section 6.2 of the rules:
Quote:
For example, if eleven Combat Strength Points attack four Combat Strength Points, the Combat Ratio is simplified to '2 to 1.' Rations (sic) are always rounded off in favor of the defender.

In this case 11:4 becomes 2:1, even though it's closer to 3:1 the advantage goes to the defender.

Or in other, other words, and only for calculating the ratio, increase the defender's CSP until you can reach a known ratio - then use that ratio.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

Ratios in these older simpler games are almost always "x to 1" or x:1.
Divide the number of combat factors on both sides by the smaller number of combat factors.

So 9 to 7 becomes:

= (9 divided by 7) to (7 divided by 7)
= 1.28 to 1

and the ratio is always "rounded off" in favour of the defender, so you would roll on the 1:1 column.

13 to 7 would be 1 to 1, but 14 to 7 would be 2 to 1.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony B
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Exactly. Just divide the two numbers and round down in favour of the defender

Example 1: attacker has 8 and defender has 4. 4 goes into 8 twice. Odds are 2-1.

Example 2: attacker has 4 and defender has 8. 4 goes into 8 twice. Odds are 1-2 as defender is stronger than the attacker.

Example 3: attacker has 13 and defender has 8. 8 goes into 13 once. Odds are 1-1. You disregard the remainders.

Example 4: attacker has 13 and fender has 6. 6 goes into 13 twice. Odds are 2-1.

ltmurnau wrote:

Ratios in these older simpler games are almost always "x to 1" or x:1.
Divide the number of combat factors on both sides by the smaller number of combat factors.

So 9 to 7 becomes:

= (9 divided by 7) to (7 divided by 7)
= 1.28 to 1

and the ratio is always "rounded off" in favour of the defender, so you would roll on the 1:1 column.

13 to 7 would be 1 to 1, but 14 to 7 would be 2 to 1.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lebowski
Spain
Córdoba
Andalucía
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi! What if the attacker has 10 and defender has 14? Would it be a 1:2?
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Cleland
Australia
Baulkham Hills
NSW
flag msg tools
But what do I spend it all on?
badge
Ohhh... G4GG!
mbmbmbmbmb
yneos wrote:
Hi! What if the attacker has 10 and defender has 14? Would it be a 1:2?
Thanks!

Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.