Dan Silverman
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, not legal; there's no feint to be declared, there was a retreat before combat, the cavalry moves into the locale (showing that it was cavalry since you're not allowed to do an attack move by road unless it's entirely cavalry)

However, yes, Locale B is the attack locale, Locale C is the defense locale. French retreats before combat, allies may declare another threat across C-D before ending the move, and if the French retreat again, move into D. If the French do not retreat (i.e. name at least one defending unit) then the Allies must declare the feint at last.

Try to think of it as a move, rather than the attack procedure. Allies try to move into locale C. French vacate without any combat. Allies have moved two spaces by road. Sure, why not continue their move onto the third locale on the main road? Oh, there's French there too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
boardgeekagain wrote:
4. What does 'and make additional attacks mean'? Corps-X has been issued with a Corp Move command already and a unit can't be moved by two commands in a turn. The Corp Move command was executed as a feint and declaring a feint ends the attack.

Ends the attack, but as you said, the "may continue their move (and make additional attacks) if the defender retreated" bit means they haven't necessarily ended their move.

So, backing up:

boardgeekagain wrote:
3. However, does 'attacking pieces moving by road may continue their move' mean that Corps-X can now continue into Locale-C (it would have enough movement to reach Locale D, but Locale D is occupied by Corps-Y)?

The attackers must move into locale C (they declared an attack-not-led-by-artillery there, and the defender retreated before combat), and they may then declare an attack threat on the C-D approach, because you said they have enough movement left to make it into locale D.

This sort of thing is more likely when corps Y is in locale B. The Allies declare a threat on the A-B approach; the French in locale B retreat-before-combat into locale C; the Allies say "that was an attack by road by these cavalry," moves them into locale B, and then declares a threat on the B-C approach. The French in C know this must be a feint, so a token defense will do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
silvergoose wrote:
No, not legal; there's no feint to be declared

Whoops, yeah, missed that line. silvergoose is right here; the Allies don't get to declare that a feint; they just move into the vacated locale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
boardgeekagain wrote:

The Allies issue an attack threat across the B-C approach where the main road runs through.
Corps-Y retreats to the reserve of Locale D.
The Allies declare a feint with Corps-X using a Corp Move attack command.

Incorrect. The attacker can only declare a feint if the defender chooses not to retreat.

It's right there in the rulebook, in bold letters no less: "A retreat before combat ends the attack: the remaining steps in the attack procedure are ignored."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Please stop deleting your posts while people are replying to them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers - Mosaic
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:

You stood your ground, and the O.P. declared it was a feint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Cox
Australia
Umina Beach
NSW
flag msg tools
mb
Sphere wrote:
kuhrusty wrote:

Lol. Indeed. Sorry all. I messed up my question. Didn't know how to correct it. Thought I was deleting the whole thread, as I didn't want to confuse anyone else. I was genuinely trying to do the right thing but all I have done is make everything more confusing. :-(

************************************** EDIT **************************************

In the hope of this thread being more useful to those who stumble upon it, this was the original question I asked, annotated with the all the replies that I kindly received:

Corps-X is composed entirely of Allied cavalry
Corps-Y is French
Locale-A is adjacent to Locale-B
Locale-B is adjacent to Locale-C
Locale-C is adjacent to Locale-D
A main road runs through all Locales.

Corps-X is positioned in the reserve of Locale-A.
Corps-Y is positioned in the reserve of Locale-C.
The Allies issue an attack threat across the B-C approach where the main road runs through.
Corps-Y retreats to the reserve of Locale-D.
The Allies declare a feint with Corps-X using a Corp Move attack command.

Q1. I assume all of the above is legal and that Locale-B is the attack locale?
A1: Locale-B is the attack locale but all of the above was not legal. The Allies cannot declare a feint with Corps-X as there was a retreat before combat. The rule book states 'A retreat before combat ends the attack: remaining steps in the attack procedure are ignored' thus a feint cannot be declared. However, the rule book also states that 'attacking pieces moving by road may continue their move (and make additional attacks) if the defender retreated'. So the Allies may declare another threat across the C-D approach as part of their continuing move. If the French retreat again move into Locale-D. If the French do not retreat (i.e. name at least one defending unit) then the Allies must declare the feint at last.

This scenario is unlikely, as if the French are able to deduce that the threat on the B-C approach came from Locale-A, then they know that they are facing an attack by road. The rule book states 'if the attack is by road move, it must be declared a feint'. So the French could defend safe in the knowledge that this threat must be a feint.

Q2. If correct, then according to the feint rules, Corps-X moves into Locale-B (the attack locale)?
A2: The above was not correct as explained in the answer to Q1. (Locale-B is the attack locale though).

Q3. However, does 'attacking pieces moving by road may continue their move' mean that Corps-X can now continue into Locale-C?
A3: As Corps-Y has retreated then Corps-X may continue its move into Locale-C.

Q4. What does 'and make additional attacks mean'? Corps-X has been issued with a Corp Move command already and a unit can't be moved by two commands in a turn.
A4: Corps-X is moving under a Corp Move command, but the rule book has also states that 'attacking pieces moving by road may continue their move (and make additional attacks) if the defender retreated'. Thus Corps-X is able to continue moving and making threats as part of this same command until either Corps-X uses all its movement allowance or the French choose to defend, in which case Corps-X must declare a feint (rule book: 'if the attack is by road move, it must be declared a feint').
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Simmons
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
kuhrusty wrote:

Watch out for another question coming from a different thread now that you committed to blocking this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Cox
Australia
Umina Beach
NSW
flag msg tools
mb
Lol. Thanks to all the replies here my approach is now filled with the artillery I need to ensure a rules explanation triumph.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.