7 Posts

War of the Ring (Second Edition)» Forums » Variants

Subject: Less RNG variants rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Raulino Rinaldi Jr
Brazil
flag msg tools
Hello guys im from Brazil and my english is not good so, pls be patient, and thanks for any participations in advance.

I played the game 6 times until now and i wanted to reduce the impact of range/random/luck in a match so i tried somethings . I would like to know your opinions about them (good or not and why).

1)When use the event dice to draw cards, draw 2 and choose 1 to keep and other to send to the bottom of the deck. In my mind at least draw card is usually a too desperate (bad and random?) move so i tried to make it better a little.

2)When the corruptions tile 1;2&reveal;3 are picked on the hunt they dont come back to the pool after the free people enter the trail of mordor (i know this make the eye better and is because of that that i removed more of the good tokens for the shadow than for fp)

3)In combats and hunts we are making 3 complete rolls (including everything) and using the average of the 3 results rounding up when x.66 and down when x.33. in the case of hunts im thinking in rounding down always because is hurting a little ( sugestions?)

4) This i didnt use yet but im thinking about this: half of the action dices you got from an automatic order and the other half you roll. The order would be for fp 1-character;2-enlistment;3-event;4-character;5-army/enlist;6-west. So for example in turn 1 fp would get 1 character and 1 enlistment and roll 2. On turn 2 event, character and roll 2 (or 3 if 5 dices) and so on.

As i said im not veteran at the game, i dont even play it well, but im just HARD HARD unlucky and all this range make me hard angry lol. Sorry again for the english and thanks for the attention

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King in Green
Japan
flag msg tools
mb
Are you sure that you are unlucky? A lot of dice, cards, and tokens are being used & drawn, so sometimes you'll be unlucky and sometimes lucky. It is probably easier to improve your play and recognise mistakes than to redesign the game. Or just use a big deck of dicecards if you really have trouble believing that a Shadow has not fallen on your dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Poulter
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I understand you right point 2, about corruption tiles is the actual rules. Only eye tiles get returned when you go to Mordor.

Personally I think you will lose a lot of the excitement by reducing randomness and the games you get will become very similar, but see how it goes and maybe over time you will revert some of the rules back to the originals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raulino Rinaldi Jr
Brazil
flag msg tools
GamesJart you are right, i was playing wrongly, only eyes go back to the pool after entering the mordor trail. It makes much more sense really. Ty guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Eklund
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No worries. Many people play incorrectly many games before getting all the rule nuances of the game, see this topic: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1642461/what-was-your-bigge...

Anyway, it's always better to try playing more games to get the feel of the game before trying to change the rules. This game is usually on the first place on BGG war game list and there's a reason for that. It's really a fantastic game, but of course, there always be luck involved when you roll dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think if you let a good player play you with these rule changes you're going to get shit stomped even harder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am sorry, but the suggestions would make the game less fun in my opinion.

1)This change I am not too against if you really want to play like this. You already get a card every time you play a card with the crystal ball when Gandalf is your guide which is already very strong. You also have rings to use when you roll absolute crap.

2) I believe this is how you play with the rules as I'm sure you've already seen

3)This change will make the game 1.5x longer at least, and that's just because of rolling so much dice, and calculating. The cards you can play in combat are very helpful if you feel like you are losing too many. At that point I think it'd be better to just draw from a pile of cards, with 1,2,3,4,5,6 on them, and make like 5 sets of each number. You're going to soon find out, that it's not "luck" its just probability.

4)This is ok too, if you really want to play like this, this adds more strategy and long term planning,

All in all, you should just play the game how it was designed, the game is VERY well balanced. There is no such as "luck" just probability, and you have plenty of cards, to help hedge those bets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.