Random Encounters» Forums » Rules

Subject: Couple rule questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Fennema
msg tools
mb
So we had a couple things that we weren't able to easily answer:

1: Can you only buy the loot of the level you're on? Ex: after defeating the 1st boss, can we ONLY buy silver loot, or can we buy bronze loot if we'd like?

2: If a hero is KO'd, can they be healed mid encounter?

3: Just to clarify, when you get new loot mid-encounter (IE: Tumble), can she immediately equip it? Can she give it to someone else?

4: Can a player change their equipment mid-encounter (IE: equip a 2 str mallet instead of a 2 magic/dex staff?) assuming that they had both pieces of equipment at the start of the encounter.

That's all I can remember for now... I'll come back with more as I think of them or they come up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Garrett
United States
Victoria
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure thing!

1) You can only buy Loot for the upcoming Level. So if you just beat Level 1 and are entering the Caves, then you can only buy the Silver Loot.

2) A Hero cannot be revived mid-encounter (unless someone uses the Broken Promises item).

3) A Player cannot equip loot obtained in mid-encounter. The only exception to this is Beatrix's Battle Ability!

4) Players cannot change out their equipment mid-encounter.

If you have questions in the future you can ask on our Facebook page - we are more active on there and it might get answered faster.

Hope y'all are enjoying the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Riley
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
I Am One With The Force
badge
The Force Is With Me
mbmbmbmbmb
So does that mean items like healing potions can only be used outside of battle?

If they can be used during battle, does using an item take that player's turn?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Garrett
United States
Victoria
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Items can be used in Battle, but it takes up a Player's turn to Use the Item. They can also be used between Battles.

The Parrying Glove is a special case item that can be used as a reaction to getting Attacked. The Torch can be used at the start of an Encounter to discard a Monster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Fennema
msg tools
mb
First off, thanks for the replies Joshua!

About the torch, it says "discard," so does that mean the player doesn't get to keep the encounter card?

Also, does the leader always keep an encounter card after passing it, regardless of it being a trap, event, or monster? I only ask because the monster cards were the only ones that the rulebook specified as keeping.

So essentially, everyone just needs to be the leader twice before you go after the boss?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Garrett
United States
Victoria
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
No problem!

Essentially yes - everyone needs to be the Leader twice before battling a boss!

When the Torch defeats a Monster, the Player DOES keep the Monster as though they had defeated it normally.

The Leader always keeps the Encounter card (including Traps and Events - this is really just to help the players keep track of how many Encounters they have faced). The only exceptions are when you are SKIPPING an event (like if the Party decides not to purchase Loot at the Wandering Merchant). They simply shuffle him back in and the same Leader draws another Encounter card.

When it comes to Monster Nests and Ambush cards - those get shuffled back in (so they have a chance to occur again) and the Monsters are kept to keep track of the group's Encounters.

If we are ever quiet on here (sometimes we forget about our BGG page as most of our followers are on Facebook!) then feel free to ask on our Facebook page! We are very active on there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Osterman
United States
Waterford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While we're talking, can we delay the boss?

My first few plays I had bad encounter draws and found myself stocked on items to discard encounters and such but short on required equipment to really be ready to tackle and defeat a boss. A few more encouters felt needed to really round out my gear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Garrett
United States
Victoria
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
It's technically two Encounter cards per Player, but hey - I can't stop you! You do whatchu gotta do. Are you facing the normal mode bosses? The "Threats" are the Hard Mode versions. If you're party has all equipment slots (Weapon, Armor, Trinket, Familiar) then you should be okay. And don't forget level up tokens!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Osterman
United States
Waterford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay. I'll try to get it out to the table tonight and see what's what. We're mid move so all the games are at the new house (I moved them first) and we're still living at the old house. I ask because in one of my single player/ two character play throughs I got to the level 2 boss and I could barely hurt it. Even rolling 5's I'd still only be doing like 2 damage per round while it was doing like 8-13 back to me. I blamed it on having no decent equipment from the 4 previous encounters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Van Howe
msg tools
RegPeepsGaming wrote:

4) Players cannot change out their equipment mid-encounter.

I made a house rule for our 2 player game that you can change out equipment, but it takes up your action for your turn. That way, when we fought a creature that was immune to one of our strong stats, we could at least TRY and do damage to it by swapping equipment.

-Matt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Garrett
United States
Victoria
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that you mention that, I think at one point we actually did have it set up that way - but we never found a single person who did it in all our playtests so we left it out! We approve of this house rule! =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.