Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Manore
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Warlord beats Troll, Troll beats Elf, Elf beats Water Sprite, and basically everything else beats Enchanted Bunny.
mbmbmbmbmb
So my 11 year old son (aka Spaz) and I just finished Mission 3 and it was an absolute BLAST!

First of all, our mind was blown as we read the dossier and discovered that not only do we fight the Boss, but there was a hidden Command Line board for the Boss hidden under the bottom tray! I had no clue it was underneath the bottom tray. My son's eyes grew really big and all he could say was, "Whoaaaaaa!"

Next, we debated about whether or not to play normal or EZ mode since it was just the two of us. We decided to play normal mode and make the Boss's health 10. We also use the Radioplay for the immersion too!

The mission went on as per the scenario for several rounds with my son playing Heimerdinger and me playing Tristana. We eventually got up to Team Gear 11 and at that point the Boss had two cards in every slot of his Command Line. At the end of the current Danger phase, we drew 2 Boss cards and had to choose between RED and GREEN Boss cards. We chose GREEN and so there were now 3 GREEN cards going into the next round and the Boss's health was only down to 4. So we had one last round to try and kill the Boss before he lay waste to us and we lose.

I was the start player for the final round. RED, YELLOW, and BLUE shields of the Boss were down at this point. I was able to do 1 YELLOW damage and 1 RED damage lowering the Boss's health to 2. Before my turn ended, I moved back over a RED rune, which lowered the Boss's RED shields after my attack. It was up to my son now.

Unfortunately, my son had 3 damaged slots and could not damage the Boss. He sadly ended up a few spaces away from the Boss unable to make a scratch. My son thought we had lost and wanted to give up, but I told him that we never quit early and we always play it through.

During the Minion phase, 3 Minions moved down 1 space from the north toward me and I took 1 Glitch damage rearranging slots 3 and 4. My son took no damage from the Minions.

Here is what the 16 grid square layout surrounding me looked like after the Minion phase, but before the Danger phase...

blank blank blank blank
M M M blank
blank T B B
blank blank B B

M = Minion
T = Tristana
B = Boss
blank = Empty Space

We transition to resolve the Danger phase. The Boss's RED Command card is about to deal 2 damage to me because I am on the same board as the Boss, but I detonate my level 1 Fuel Tank to avoid taking the first damage, which does 1 RED damage to the Boss and kills the 3 Minions above Tristana. Boss's health is reduced to 1. There were already 2 dead Minions on the Gear Tracker so the 3 Minions just killed from the Fuel Tank triggered the next Team Gear. Tristana had the Explosive Charge schematic equipped, which causes the Minion above the Boss to deal 1 damage to an adjacent target, which was the Boss and I chose BLUE damage as a result of the Schematic card since the Boss had no BLUE shields!

The Boss's health goes to ZERO and we literally win Mission 3 just before we would resolve the 3 GREEN cards in the Boss's Command Line!!!!

It was a most truly EPIC moment for me and my 11 year old son!

Thanks for reading and remember: "Warlord beats Troll, Troll beats Elf, Elf beats Water Sprite, and basically everything else beats Enchanted Bunny."

...but not today! devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oystein eker
Norway
Unspecified
sola
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!
Looking forward to try this mission.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederick Ernst
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
THAT
IS
AMAZING!

WOO HOO

:Fistbump:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederick Ernst
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Robman wrote:
My son thought we had lost and wanted to give up, but I told him that we never quit early and we always play it through.

that's a teachable moment right there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Ries
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I was also very surprised to find the Boss Command Line under the last tray. I had a small moment of panic thinking that I was missing a component, then decided to lift up the final tray

Good story on the last hit. We had Tristana in our game too (2-player with my wife) and didn't realize we could have used her ability to deal damage to the boss. Good work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joe bobroskie

Tallahassee
Florida
msg tools
I had a similar situation. We drew damage from the boss and it seemed like none of our plans would work. We drew his upgrade and ended up with 2 cards in every slot meaning 2 more turns.

Then we noticed that the damage one of us had taken had landed them on a rune and if I as Heimer ran my command line backwards I could damage him twice, defeating him before all of my glitches occurred. 2 more turns and we would have lost. Heck we couldn't even damage him before turn 4 or 5 I thought we would for sure lose.

As a side note don't take the thing for Ziggs that lets him choose which space he puts damage on since it makes him HAVE to put the damage card on an undamaged space. Our Ziggs had 6 damage cards on his command line his final turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederick Ernst
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jobroskie wrote:
As a side note don't take the thing for Ziggs that lets him choose which space he puts damage on since it makes him HAVE to put the damage card on an undamaged space. Our Ziggs had 6 damage cards on his command line his final turn.

That's so Ziggs...

But I'd like to point out that using "Hit Me" is optional, so you needn't fear it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eorl Osborne
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mb
MrPiddlesworth wrote:
jobroskie wrote:

That's so Ziggs...

But I'd like to point out that using "Hit Me" is optional, so you needn't fear it.

My group originally misinterpreted "Hit Me" wrongly to think you had to place the card on an empty slot - clearly undamaged is more logical - But if your Ziggs had 6 damage and got another slot damage - how is "Hit Me" to be applied

I understand its optional - the player can choose to just roll and see what it replaces - but if they use the schematic it says not to roll the die - so do they then choose a damaged slot or just apply the effect and discard the damage (as it has no valid slot to be put into)

OR are they just not allowed to use the schematic (more of a "If you have at least one undamaged slot you may choose not to roll the slot die...")?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederick Ernst
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Eorl wrote:
MrPiddlesworth wrote:
jobroskie wrote:

That's so Ziggs...

OR are they just not allowed to use the schematic (more of a "If you have at least one undamaged slot you may choose not to roll the slot die...")?

That's pretty much it, if you don't have any undamaged slots you can't use the schematic until you've repaired something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.