A Feast for Odin» Forums » Rules

Subject: Bosporus Traveller and cattle becoming pregnant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The Bosporus Traveller "EACH TIME CARD" occupation says this:

"With each new (pregnant or non-pregnant) cattle you place in your cattle stable, you can buy 1 spices for 4 silver. Alternatively, you can buy 1 silk for 3 silver."

I thought this only triggered for buying (non-pregnant) cattle or breeding to produce (non-pregnant) cattle.

However, why is the "pregnant or non-pregnant" text there? As far as I know, it is impossible to ever gain a pregnant cattle tile. Instead, you turn an existing cattle tile to the pregnant side.

Does this mean Bosporus Traveller triggers when you buy a cattle, when a new cattle is born, AND when a cattle becomes pregnant?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goldfarb
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Possibly there's some other occupation that lets you get cattle that are pregnant immediately? There's mention in another thread of one called Breeder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
David Goldfarb wrote:
Possibly there's some other occupation that lets you get cattle that are pregnant immediately? There's mention in another thread of one called Breeder.

Not that I can find.

"Cattle Breeder" gives you an Animal Breeding phase (which might flip a cattle to the pregnant side, but not give you an already-pregnant cattle).

"Breeder" lets you immediately flip a cattle to the pregnant side (but is not an Animal Breeding phase).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben O'Steen
United Kingdom
Bishops Stortford
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
David Goldfarb wrote:

Future (or past) proofing? Maybe there was a card that let you gain a pregnant animal but it's been removed?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Lindrupsen
Norway
Fredrikstad
Østfold
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GAFBlizzard wrote:
The Bosporus Traveller "EACH TIME CARD" occupation says this:

"With each new (pregnant or non-pregnant) cattle you place in your cattle stable, you can buy 1 spices for 4 silver. Alternatively, you can buy 1 silk for 3 silver."

I thought this only triggered for buying (non-pregnant) cattle or breeding to produce (non-pregnant) cattle.

However, why is the "pregnant or non-pregnant" text there? As far as I know, it is impossible to ever gain a pregnant cattle tile. Instead, you turn an existing cattle tile to the pregnant side.

Does this mean Bosporus Traveller triggers when you buy a cattle, when a new cattle is born, AND when a cattle becomes pregnant?

I am pretty sure this happens every time you buy a cattle, a new is born and when one is getting pregnant. It does not say that it happens when you buy a new one. It says that you can do it every time you get a new one in your stable, and that happens every one of these instances Hope that helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
sennaho wrote:
I am pretty sure this happens every time you buy a cattle, a new is born and when one is getting pregnant. It does not say that it happens when you buy a new one. It says that you can do it every time you get a new one in your stable, and that happens every one of these instances Hope that helps!

I guess the key question is whether flipping a tile counts as a "new cattle you place in your cattle stable". Hopefully Frank gets time to confirm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Heeren
Germany
Eppstein-Bremthal
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmb
GAFBlizzard wrote:
sennaho wrote:

I guess the key question is whether flipping a tile counts as a "new cattle you place in your cattle stable". Hopefully Frank gets time to confirm.

No, flipping it to the pregnant site does not count towards this card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aernout Casier
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The word "new" gave this away for us. When my wife gets pregnant, I don't call her a new wife
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
AernoutMJC wrote:
The word "new" gave this away for us. When my wife gets pregnant, I don't call her a new wife

That is a reasonable interpretation, and confirmed as correct, but the question came up because there is no way in the game to acquire a new, pregnant sheep, and thus no need for the clarification text.

Maybe a removed occupation would have allowed this, and that's why the text was kept.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.