Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Simmons
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As my wife and I waited for the pizza dough to rise for our dinner last night we figured we could fit in a quick game. Although I was thinking of Lost Cities, she suggested a rematch of Before I Kill You, Mr. Bond (which I had taught her just the day before).

We were playing with the original version, the one printed on square pieces of green and yellow cardstock that came in an envelope. The only modification to the rules we made was playing until there were no possible moves remaining instead of to 30 points. (We did this because the first game had been incredibly close, 36-30, and it didn't quite seem fair that one of us would win simply by reaching 30 while the other person could still take a turn).

I dealt, and we both received spies. I could tell I was in trouble immediately with 3 spies (8,5,3 points) and 3 small lair cards (1,1,2). Emily drew first and put down a 4 point lair and then placed a 4 point spy in it. She doubled it once, then again, then again. She was successful, of course, because I didn't have any doublers to twart her effort. So the score started out Emily 32, Jeff 0. If we had been playing by the rules, the game would have been over right there before I had even had a turn.

We probably should have stopped there.

The game went on with me trying to establish a lair and her throwing spies into it. She eventually "let" me score a 6 point spy and a 2 pointer. I watched helplessly as she killed off a spy for 24 points.

At one point, she said "This is a lot different than the first time."
"Yes, and not in a good way." I replied.

I noticed that the theme had worn thin after the first playing. Where the first time we were laughing at "Spy" Dr. Lucky and reading each of the cards in a comical voice, now it was more, "Do you have an A? G? C?"

Final

Emily 64
Jeff 8

robot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.