$15.00
$5.00
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I agree with Cenq. There is so much waste that this is a complete dick move. The veterans should be allowed to keep the money since they can't take back the extra years of their lives they gave up due to those bonuses.

I'd contract your representatives to get this thing shut down. $20 million for our veterans is worth it.

I wrote to my representative tonight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I made a promise on the grave of my parents...
badge
...that I would rid this city of the evil that took their lives. "
mbmbmbmbmb
We already have this topic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Didn't see it. Just finished writing my representative on this.

I'll look for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Based upon my poor understanding of history, science, and ethics...
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
The recruiters who committed the fraud should be held liable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
The "gist" of this was THAT they 'declared' L-O-N-G AFTERWARDS from whenever they began all of it as "illegal" now, since SOME imbeciles "mistakenly believed" it was conducted FULLY AWARE at their time of signings, it was 'illicit'.
shake "don't "B"!" that GUY, Buddy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
ImaSokpupet wrote:
The soldiers should return the money to the federal government. THey need to sue the recruiters who misrepresented the bonuses, if they acted based upon the army's agents misrepresentation then they might have been damaged and are eligible for compensation.

Nope... the government needs to sue the recruiters, as the recruiters were acting as government agents at the time and promised the recruits money in order to compel them to serve.

IE, the government, if it demands the money back, defrauded those recruits in order to secure their military service.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ImaSokpupet wrote:
The soldiers should return the money to the federal government. THey need to sue the recruiters who misrepresented the bonuses, if they acted based upon the army's agents misrepresentation then they might have been damaged and are eligible for compensation.

In the vast majority of cases that money is long spent. I read a story of one vet who had to take out a second mortgage on his house to pay back his bill.

It's not the soldiers' fault that this happened (except, from what I heard, in a very small handful of cases where the "soldier" committed the fraud and then didn't serve). If the soldier served their reenlistment, then they should be able to keep the money.

Evidently, Congress was informed about this years ago and failed to act. I'm more than a little upset about that on both sides of the aisle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
Didn't see it. Just finished writing my representative on this.

I'll look for it.
It was a thread with no indication of subject in title:
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1659976/can-we-even-agr...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Van Horn
United States
Othello
Washington
flag msg tools
I admit it, I killed her, I killed Yvette. I hated her so much
badge
Flames...flames on the side of my face...breathing...breathle...heaving breathes
mbmbmbmbmb
Thinly and tangentially related some employees in our school district had been receiving slightly too much pay per month for years due to a miscalculation on the district's part. Because they are government funds it was considered an inappropriate gift of public funds and they required the employees to pay it back. The monthly amount was not that big but over the course of years it amounted to several thousand dollars for some employees.

In the militaries case there was a promise made for time served, coming back after the time is served seems like a violation of the contract. Arguing that the one dictating the terms of the contract did it wrong after they received the benefit seems morally bankrupt. It is hard to argue that the recruiter was not acting as an authorized agent of the state and that the recruit didn't have an expectation that what they were telling them was in fact true and proper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
msg tools
Koldfoot wrote:
The recruiters who committed the fraud should be held liable.

Fucking A, bubba, fucking A.

And guess what? The government folded...

http://us.cnn.com/2016/10/26/politics/carter-suspends-bonus-...

Kudos to the LA Times for breaking this, and all the other Cali media outlets that pressed the issue. THIS is what journalism is supposed to do -- grill the shit out of the government.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadly, this might be too little too late for some. The repayments have caused some severe hardships for people trying to pay the money back, including principal AND interest the Feds were trying to collect. A sad story, that only gets corrected when it went public to the media, and they were willing to air it. Shows you the power of the public eye to discover and uncover wrongdoing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Strobe
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Listen to your sidekick and eat the pennies.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dispaminite wrote:

The other thread had a shitty clickbait title.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ilthuain wrote:
Dispaminite wrote:

The other thread had a shitty clickbait title.

We can agree on that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
abadolato01 wrote:
Sadly, this might be too little too late for some. The repayments have caused some severe hardships for people trying to pay the money back, including principal AND interest the Feds were trying to collect. A sad story, that only gets corrected when it went public to the media, and they were willing to air it. Shows you the power of the public eye to discover and uncover wrongdoing.

But will the repayments be repaid?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Then, they'll REPAY those folks accordingly, and state: "sorry sorry sorry!"; although their 'sorrinesses' WERE already a "given & taken" as per S.O.P.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
abadolato01 wrote:

But will the repayments be repaid?

Good question, knowing the Feds, I doubt it, they probably cant tell how much each has repaid, with their accounting practices. A simple "Sorry" letter is probably all they poor people will get.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"32 inches of Plexi....for your pleasure"
mb
I think putting blame on the Soldiers is pretty creepy. The government should bite the bullet on this, and go after those who deceived in order to get recruitment numbers up. This is definitely not the guy at the end of the chains issue. I would be OK with congress to enact a relief fund and take this at a loss. But of course they won't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know, Congress is just about to go to elections. If it becomes a bigger issue in the next couple days, maybe they'll do something about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I heard good news on this already today!

Happy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Seguin
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
To add insult to injury, they're trying to recover the full amount of the bonus which had taxes taken out of it. The soldier would then have to go deal with the IRS to get the taxes paid back.

Claiming a Section 1341 refundable credit may (possibly) get your money back with minimal hassle the next time you file a tax return. However, requesting a Section 1341 refundable credit prevents electronic filing of a tax return (at least it did in 2013, the last time I did a Section 1341 refundable credit), but perhaps that has changed.

You will lose out on the FICA and medicare payroll taxes, but if I am not mistaken, perhaps military members are not subject to the FICA/medicare tax? I am not sure about that, I don't have any clients that are active military.

Not quite as cumbersome as one might think, but still a complete pain in the ass.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.