Subject: Wars that are inactive until specific province created rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
BrentS
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a question about two series of wars in the Valley Games edition which are inactive or active depending on the existence of their associated provinces.....specifically the two Sicilian Slave Revolts (province = Sicilia) and the three Spanish Revolts (provinces = Hispania Citerior and Hispania Ulterior).

All five of these wars have the text:

Quote:
If "X" is not yet a Province / are not yet Provinces, treat as Inactive until the Revolution Phase they are.

Each also has a faded out armaments icon with a ""?" on it. There are several options that I could read into how these are activated, and I'm not sure which one is right.

a). If the appropriate province(s) is in play when the war is drawn in the forum phase, it is treated as if it has an armament icon and is activated immediately, like any other war with an armament icon.

b). If the appropriate province(s) is in play when the war is drawn in the forum phase, the war is treated as if it has an armament icon but, unlike any other war, is not activated until the Revolution Phase.

c). Either (a) or (b) plus if the appropriate province(s) is not in play when the war is drawn in the forum phase but subsequently becomes created (through defeat of the First or Second Punic War in a Combat Phase), then the war is activated in that turn's Revolution Phase (this last case would be rare and only in end of deck cases in the Early Republic scenario or in extended scenarios).

I also assume that the war being treated as Inactive in the absence of the province doesn't circumvent other rules about war activation......i.e. I assume the war would still be activated if attacked by Rome, or a matching leader appears (Spartacus or Viriathus) or a matching war is drawn.

Thanks,

Brent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mb
(a) + (c)

The war becomes active once the province is fully established, not while the conquering army is still present when the province is first taken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BrentS
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slashing wrote:
(a) + (c)

The war becomes active once the province is fully established, not while the conquering army is still present when the province is first taken.

Thanks.

(a) + (c) was my interpretation of what was most likely intended.....although I'm sorry, I don't understand the clarifying statement you added.

Brent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mb
The army that wins a war remains in the area until the Revolution phase, when it decides to return to Rome, peacefully or otherwise. So, if a revolt took place immediately, there would theoretically already be an army present to deal with it. Revolutionaries tend to wait until governing armies depart before revolting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BrentS
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slashing wrote:
The army that wins a war remains in the area until the Revolution phase, when it decides to return to Rome, peacefully or otherwise. So, if a revolt took place immediately, there would theoretically already be an army present to deal with it. Revolutionaries tend to wait until governing armies depart before revolting.

Thanks. Sorry, I thought you were clarifying the rule but you were actually explaining the logic? Victorious armies don't transfer to different wars in any case (they either return home or rebel) so I wouldn't have expected that it could have attacked the new revolt/war.

Brent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.