Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe M
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
I recently bought LotR:TCG with the intention of getting The Hobbit Saga expansions soon after I got the hang of playing with the core set. But- I just don't really enjoy this game very much, and I'm wondering if it's a case of this not being the right game for me. Also, it was my intention to play the Hobbit expansions with my sons (8 and 10 years old) but I suspect that this game is way to hard for them to enjoy. What do you fans of the game think? Should I give it more time? If I don't like the core set solo, will the Saga be any different? (I've played it about 5 times now).

Thanks in advance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joke Meister
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What is it that you aren't liking? If its simply that you aren't having any fun then it probably is true that the game isn't for you.

However, if its because you find the game too difficult, there are various options to tone down the difficulty. The rulebook itself talks about taking out certain cards, giving each of your heroes an additional resource at the start or even not dealing shadow cards to attacking enemies. The variant forum here also have other alternatives if you are looking to modify the difficulty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dundy O
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is too advanced for most 8 and 10 year olds because there is a fair amount of detail you must keep track of and consider each turn. As for you, please give more detail of what you like and don't like in games. It's hard to answer you without it.

Many people love this game because of the puzzley nature of it, others because of the Tolkien lore played out in a thematic way due to the wide open freedom of deck-building, and still others because it is almost as fun solo as with others.

The developers have made many correct decisions over the years to combat power creep, as well as making each successive cycle (and saga expansion) more thematic, more fun, and changing the mechanics enough to keep the game fresh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Broderick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
holmezzz wrote:
Also, it was my intention to play the Hobbit expansions with my sons (8 and 10 years old) but I suspect that this game is way to hard for them to enjoy.

Try these: Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit

And maybe Hobbit Tales from the Green Dragon Inn, for something a bit different, or Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey and The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug for something a little more advanced
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Chalfont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The reality is the baseset is not designed to be an easy introduction to the game. The prebuild decks are not balanced and some decks have a very hard time beating the easiest scenario. Also, lots of people were drawn in by the theme and expecting a RPG like game that every month you get a new adventure. This game delivers a great experience but it is a deck builder that rewards constant building and tweaking with a nice thematic LOTR dressing, but not a RPG experience.

I really can't imagine playing this with my 9 year old. I have played this with very analytical adults whose adults just glaze over during the game and want to quit. Even if she was into the LOTR (she sided with Harry Potter) I doubt she would enjoy the decisions needed and making simple, random choices is going to result in total party death the majority of the time.

If I just stick with CCG card games then Pokemon works very well with that age and I was surprised how much I enjoyed playing it with my daughter. Just buy a few prebuilt decks and have fun. Then ignore them wanting cards every time you go to a Target or Walmart.

If you want a co-op thematic fantasy card game, then check out Pathfinder the Adventure Card game. Not that complicated, adds in dice rolling, and lets everyone have a character to play. It does offer a RPG like campaign and character building.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe M
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
clip611 wrote:

I doubt she would enjoy the decisions needed and making simple, random choices is going to result in total party death the majority of the time.

This is what I have been feeling as well. I can survive playing solo (I don't draw shadow effects but everything else by the rules), but it feels a bit like work rather than fun.

So, is the Saga/Campaign version much different? I was drawn in by the campaign feature in the first place, but maybe this one isn't for me.

And if you all want to offer more suggestions for card-adventure and or campaign-ish games that are less difficult than LotR, please do chime in!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Chalfont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
holmezzz wrote:
So, is the Saga/Campaign version much different? I was drawn in by the campaign feature in the first place, but maybe this one isn't for me.

And if you all want to offer more suggestions for card-adventure and or campaign-ish games that are less difficult than LotR, please do chime in!

The Sagas mainly play the same. The main difference is you can gain cards that you will carry on to the next adventure as well as adventures that follow the plot of the books.

If you want a great fantasy dungeon like game that is great for kids that you can play with them, check out Mice and Mystics. It is a RPG lite campaign. The mechanics are not very complex and mostly amounts to rolling to attack and defend. The book keeping aspects you can handle. Great story.

I would still recommend Pathfinder Adventure Card Game for a fantasy card game campaign that you will play for many sessions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
holmezzz wrote:
clip611 wrote:

I doubt she would enjoy the decisions needed and making simple, random choices is going to result in total party death the majority of the time.

This is what I have been feeling as well. I can survive playing solo (I don't draw shadow effects but everything else by the rules), but it feels a bit like work rather than fun.

This game is not well suited for what you seem to be searching (fun, family game, for kids).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe M
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks everyone these are helpful responses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edgar the Woebringer
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
Hi, when it comes to kids and game complexity, I think it depends exclusively on the kid. My oldest (14) gets bored easily and loses focus; he's a really smart kid but it's tough to get him to play board games, especially the more complex ones.

On the other hand, my 10-year-old memorized the rules to this game and others such as Mage Knight (which I was scared to even buy due to it's reputation...it was a gift so I got it!). When we play LOTR I will play a card and he will say things like "Oh, that guy can do X during the quest phase"...I'm like "how do you know that?" "I read it when I was looking at the cards" O_O

So don't sell your little guys short. Games are really hit or miss with my kids (and probably everyone's) but it's almost never due to complexity. I guess the bad part is you don't know until you try it, so I have a closet full of games that were hardly touched (like Pathfinder Adventures...)

Edit: I now notice you have played the core set quests.
I change my thoughts to echo at least one other--you really need some additional packs to be able to build some fun decks IMO (obviously very subjective there). We play 2 and 3 player and even with a big expansion and 5 smaller ones we still have to compromise a bit on who gets what card as some are really in demand! With 2 player you can more easily have unique spheres. Our last game was me with Spirit/Lore, my brother with Leadership only, and my son with Tactics only. There's no doubt though as I stated above that games don't always grab everyone. Our family track record has more misses than hits in it frankly.

Lastly, we have the most fun with the cooperative aspect. We build our decks to complement each other and that is half the fun. My kids like the combat so Dad is the healer/questing support guy! We spend quite a bit of time going over the cards and planning how we will play, it's part of the experience for us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
koraldon
Israel
holon
flag msg tools
mbmb
I would suggest to have a look at Mice and Mystics, look like the game you want (Family, fun, co-op, adventures)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.