A Feast for Odin» Forums » Variants

Subject: More Player interaction- 2 player variant. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rolands Briedis
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I am thinking how to increase player interaction in two player game.
Does any have bright ideas of 2 player game variants?

I have two variants for example:

1) When you put viking figure in action space, then you block all actions in this row for other player.
or
2) Each player has 7 more vikings in different colour on home board. Players can spend those extra vikings to block action spaces for other player. They have only 7 dummy viking figures for all game. To block space you use only one viking and pay 1 silver.

Please :
-comment these variants /
-give your variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
m p
England
flag msg tools
I was thinking about something similar this morning. Essentially both playing the solo rules of alternating colour meeples each turn and leaving the previously placed ones on the board to block for the next turn. Not sure how it would play though or if it would block up too many spaces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan-Willem van Leeuwen
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about a combination of those ideas:
Set aside 6 dummy viking figures. After placing your own vikings and taking an action, you may place 1 dummy viking figure on any adjacent spot, blocking that spot. Expection: this does not happen after the very first action of the round (to avoid a big advantage for the start player).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be very interesting to see if the first one would work. That one has promise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rolands Briedis
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
Maybe someone can test those out?

jschlickbernd wrote:
It would be very interesting to see if the first one would work. That one has promise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
Push Cubes. Blow Stuff Up.
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
Now granted, I've not even played the game yet. But I love how the solo rules use two colors... and effectively using the solo rules in a two player game sounds very workable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mohammad Ali
msg tools
mbmbmb
Whole row blockage isn't a realistic simulation of other players though, think of the row where you buy ships. Each ship is used for different things. It is particularly punishing on some rows and on other rows it is irrelevant. Imagine blocking the row of mountain strip gatherings spots on T1. You would basically enforce both players picking non-interactive strategies.

I prefer the other idea presented: You leave your vikings on the board at the end of the round and alternate the color you use each round, as if there were four players, with the two four player spaces open.

I can test it after I get a few more 2player games under my belt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have other games to play two player, so I won't be testing this soon, apologies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Wallace
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
So I haven't played it at 2p yet and don't know if I would even need a variant, but in response to repeat criticism that I've been reading regarding the openness of 2p games I thought of 2 different variant ideas:

Clumsy method:

Since the game already comes with dice, you could just store a 6-sided die in the box and basically add a "Phase 13" that has you roll the 12 sided + 6 sided dice, 3 times and blocking one space in each of the first 3 columns for that round, corresponding to the dice roll.
Quote:
Example, the first roll is 10 so in the first column go down 10 rows and block that action space for the round [Crafting - 1Stone -> 1 Silver & 1 Rune]. The second roll is 12, so go down 12 rows and block that action space for the round. [Mountains and Trade - 3 Goods from one track + upgrade 1 good] etc.

For the 3rd column, you could either subtract 2 from any roll higher than 16 (or just cover the last space for any roll higher than 16) or just roll the 8 sided twice.

Easier method:

Alternatively, you could just permanently block the lower costing action for each row that has two identical action spaces. I.e. Hunting, Whaling*, Sailing, Pillaging, and Emigration.

*Whaling isn't exactly identical, so maybe block the higher costing of the 2? Or maybe block the lower costing one, but treat the higher costing one as you would the lower. I.e. it still requires 4 workers to take the action, but you get to use ore from all of your whaling boats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.