Hide
6 Posts

The Resistance: Avalon» Forums » Variants

Subject: Avalon New Role Idea. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cody Brunty
msg tools
Court Jester - A neutral card not on good or bad. The only way he wins is if the assassin kills him at the end of the game. (So the character pretends to be Merlin)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Wilson
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does he get to know the minions?

And does he automatically lose if evil wins three quests?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jānis Rudzītis
Latvia
Jūrmala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I see - Tanner (from Werewolf) for Avalon.
How many good and bad guys are in the game for each number of players?
p.s. did you playtest your idea? it seems similar to Oberon - I mean, it can work in a game for 7 or more players (especially for 9 players: 5 Good, 3 Bad, Jester).
p.p.s. And the main question - how the Jester votes during the mission?
Therefore: maybe the Jester is an character on the side of Good? He shares his victory with other good guys if the Good team wins but he wins alone if he is killed at the end of the game (instead of Merlin).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you tried the jester out? If so how does he play?

My thoughts, I'd be interested to hear other opinions:

BlackSheep wrote:
And does he automatically lose if evil wins three quests?

Presumably so since he can't fulfil his win criteria, therefore I presume he will want missions to succeed.

baltaistehws2 wrote:

How many good an bad guys are in the game for each number of players?

The fact that the jester needs 3 missions to succeed means he should replace a good character.

BlackSheep wrote:
Does he get to know the minions?

This is interesting. The minions might have a hard time if he did, but the Jester will have a hard time if he knows nothing. If we assume the Jester sees the missions then we have a character with all the info that Merlin has but whose aim is get killed rather than avoid getting killed so that might be interesting to play.

The trouble is I don't think it would be interesting for the minions - either Merlin could get able get away without saying much and the minions might be picking at random from the people who are obviously not the jester (the loyal servants have no motivation to cover for the jester so he might end up being obvious). Alternatively Merlin might e really obvious hoping that the spies will assume he is the jester.

Playing a jester who knows nothing would probably be like playing a loyal servant - you need missions to succeed and you need to pretend to be Merlin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariusz Kosecki
Poland
Elbląg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zabdiel wrote:
Playing a jester who knows nothing would probably be like playing a loyal servant - you need missions to succeed and you need to pretend to be Merlin.
Agreed. What about a following twist: jester knows the minions and merlin. Or in other words: jester knows all the other plain rebels. It would ve interesting to see how it works with mordred included. With this addition, jester could be shuffled with other good guys before preparing the role deck so that merlin would not be sure if jester is in play.

Just some random thoughts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P Santos
United States
LAS VEGAS
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmb
zabdiel wrote:

In that case, the jester is just like a plain loyal servant -- need missions to succeed and wins if Merlin is not assassinated. The only difference is that instead of ALL Good players claiming the win, the Jester is the only one who wins (kind of selfish) and everybody elses loses if he gets assassinated. I'd rather be a plain loyal servant, pretend to be Merlin and win it for everybody in my Good team rather just for myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.