Subject: Session report : Pit Bulls vs Bighorns rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Antoine Irisson
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last monday, there was a clash between the Pit Bulls and the Bighorns. The game was played in Techno mode (7 players, no skills).

First Half
I lost the toss and my adversary decides to begin on offense. After the snap, one of his player manages to sneak past my defense to put himself in good position to receive the football. I pierce through his offensive line until a block went south and gives him a free full activation. Wisely, he moves his QB and tries to throw a pass to his infiltrated player. But he fails and the football is off target! Or is it? After rolling both "2" on our respective scatter die, the ball arrives just where it was meant to be... I still get a full activation and pull back a player of my offensive line to chase the runner. He managed to go to my 25 yards line before I finally tackled him. 2nd down.
All his players but one are on my right and his lonely 55 is on my left. Okay boy, I see what you did there. I place my 33 against his 55 and the rest of the team in coverage of his pack. Alas, when my 33 tries to block at +3 (I pulled his second card from the bench), I roll a magnificent "3". The block is reversed and his 55 rushes into the endzone. It doesn't look good at all. His next activation is of course his number 7 who also is his QB for the down. I try a read and react to activate my 78 first but it doesn't come through. I watch, helpless, as the football flies in the air to the receiver in my endzone... Touchdown Bighorns.
I am now on offense. The plan of action is simple. Make a quick pass to my runner on the right, pass through the defense and run straight to the endzone. Well, at least it was the plan in the beginning. My adversary fails one of his block which could give me 3 full activations in a row for my number 78 as the two next cards in my pile are his. There is also an oppening in the line of scrimmage so this is really a no brainer here. My 78 blazes through the field like a tornado. His speed and good rolls on tied activations as my adversary read and reacts make him unstoppable. Touchdown Pit Bulls! Only 2 cubes left in the first half.
The Bighorns are now on offense but they are unable to repeat their first play and without their coach using his timeouts, nothing more happens before half-time.

Half-Time : Pit Bulls 7, Bighorns 7

Second Half
The beginning of the second half is a déjà-vu. Once again, my QB sneaks past the line of scrimmage after a failed block from my adversary and he runs all the field to the endzone. We must give this man a medal. Or send him to the Olympic games, he could win gold in 100m race. Anyway, the Pit Bulls are now in the lead at 14-7.
The Bighorns are a little shocked but the game is far from over. They try to change a bit their offense but they do little progress on their first 2 downs. They still pass the 50 yards line but they are not that far in my side of the field. Wisely, the coach calls a timeout to give them more time.
But on the third down, another block on the offensive line is failed, creating an oppening for me to go get this damned quarterback. First sack of the game and a 15 yards loss for the offense! As we are in an exhibition match and it's 4th down for the Bighorns, I call both my timeouts to give me time to relaunch an offensive play. My adversary keeps his last one as he doesn't want to give me more time.
Again, on the 4th down, the offensive line scatters which leads to another sack and a 10 yards loss! The crowd is on fire! I've got two downs to score another touchdown and I'm on his 35 yards line. The first one get me little progress to the 20 yards line.
On the second one, I try to throw his defense off balance by running my QB to the left of the field where there is less opposition. The Bighorns have no choice, they must attempt a difficult block (-2) to stop my offense. And not only they succeed, they CRITICALLY succeed! The ball carrier is knocked down and the football is loose! My adversary wins the scatter roll and scatter it to the player who attempted the block. He also succeeds in picking up the football. Bighorns are now on offense and the play continues. Now it's my turn to attempt a difficult block to stop what could develop to a touchdown. This time, dice are on my side and the block is successful. The ball carrier is tackled before he could do anything else and the game is over!

Final score 14-7 for the Pit Bulls. This last play was really epic. I had in mind that a critical success could put everything in jeopardy but I told myself "Naaaa! I'm good. This things never happen". Well it did. And it could have been disastrous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a lot of fun. Glad I supported the KS campaign!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antoine Irisson
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep it was indeed a lot of fun. Since then, my adversary keeps asking me about the rematch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Spivey
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Rekka wrote:
This last play was really epic.

It was! I love it when there's almost no chance of the critical happening and then... BOOM! I don't even mind being on the receiving end, because it's almost alway exciting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antoine Irisson
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. I didn't mind either when he critically succeeded too because it's really those kind of moments you remember after the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.