Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lochi Lochi
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

My friends and I played Scenario 2 yesterday and when using Tristana's Rocket Jump a doubt arose.

What happens when the landing spot for Tristana is an oil slick? There were mixed opinions about the situation, according to the rules it seems Tristana keeps moving until leaving the Oil Slick but I imagined the situation as Tristana landing vertically so she may be able to keep in the same position.

In case the Oil Slick rule of keeping moving stays, does Tristana gets to keep Rocket Jump card if she stomps a minion the moment she leaves the Oil Slick?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you give the wording of the card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lochi Lochi
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the card in front of me but it was something similar to killing all range 1 minions and then jump over as many spaces as minions were killed, ignoring spaces in between and landing. In case you stomp on a minion, you keep the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it might come down to whether the card uses the word 'move' or not, so I'll hold back on a firm opinion on whether she slides or not for now.

I would think that a Minion hit with Skewer while sliding on Oil after a Skewer movement, so I would also rule the same way if she does end up sliding over a Minion due to the Oil Slick (it need not be at the end).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesús M. Gómez
Spain
Ocaña
Toledo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the text in the card:

Play before or after you execute your Command Line:
Kill all targets within 1 range.

Pick a direction and Rocket Jump 1 space for each Minion slain.
(Ignore all objects until you land.)

If you stomp a Minion, do not discard Rocket Jump.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That does make me more lean to thinking that you don't slide, but I can see the developers possibly ruling otherwise...

It also makes me wonder what happens if the destination space is impassable (e.g., Massive Boulders). It seems you could pass over such things, as they are ignored, but if the chosen direction is impassable, does Tristana move as far as she can, stays put or must her player choose another direction?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cantrell
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You do not slide with Rocket Jump onto Oil.

And in your example, Jorgen, you would go as far as you are able to in that direction, though if the jump were large enough, you would leap over the Boulder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Dom
msg tools
OP

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Koenig
Germany
Fuerth
Bayern
flag msg tools
Tom is crazy!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have two more additional questions, Chris:

- Direction: Is diagonal included. So you have a choice of 8 directions, I hope, pretty sure term direction is defined somewhere in rulebook.

- WHERE does your minions face after the jump. Lets'say I face "North" but jump "South". Do I face North or South after the jump. Important, wouldn't work if I jumped North-East for example.

I ruled diagonal allowed, you stay faced in the direction before the jump.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Rocket Jump" is not "Move", so none of the effects of moving would occur, such as sliding on an oil slick.

And surely it's limited to the 4 cardinal directions. If more than 4, then why not every possible angle between 0 and 360 degrees?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tucker
msg tools
DaviddesJ wrote:
"Rocket Jump" is not "Move", so none of the effects of moving would occur, such as sliding on an oil slick.

And surely it's limited to the 4 cardinal directions. If more than 4, then why not every possible angle between 0 and 360 degrees?

I think you can leap diagnolly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mechaniac wrote:
I have two more additional questions, Chris:

- Direction: Is diagonal included. So you have a choice of 8 directions, I hope, pretty sure term direction is defined somewhere in rulebook.

- WHERE does your minions face after the jump. Lets'say I face "North" but jump "South". Do I face North or South after the jump. Important, wouldn't work if I jumped North-East for example.

I ruled diagonal allowed, you stay faced in the direction before the jump.

Considering diagonals are valid "directions" for many attacks / schematics, and that the term "Move" (which is restricted to orthogonal movement) is omitted, diagonal seems to make sense here. So my gut reaction would be that diagonal would be allowed, but this is definitely something that we'd need Riot to chime in on, as I don't think the wording clearly demonstrates their intention.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Koenig
Germany
Fuerth
Bayern
flag msg tools
Tom is crazy!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the problem is, the word direction is not clearly defined (as adjacency). For example the card Ka-Boom states Damage in every direction and there it means all 8 including the diagonals!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Felkor wrote:
Considering diagonals are valid "directions" for many attacks / schematics

33.69 degrees (up 2 and over 3) is also a valid "direction" for some attacks. But does that make it a valid direction for Rocket Jump?

I'm pretty confident it's meant to be orthogonal, although I agree that clarification would be good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mechaniac wrote:
Yes, the problem is, the word direction is not clearly defined (as adjacency). For example the card Ka-Boom states Damage in every direction and there it means all 8 including the diagonals!

Yup, the diagonals do in fact get referred to explicitly as "directions" on some cards, which would make me lean towards the possibility that it would count for rocket jump.

But, who knows - just waiting for Chris from Riot to jump in with an official ruling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
33.69 degrees (up 2 and over 3) is also a valid "direction" for some attacks. But does that make it a valid direction for Rocket Jump?

Does a card actually call this a direction, or is it just a valid target location?

Multiple cards do allow diagonals when talking about directions, actually using the word 'direction' when doing so. The only exceptions appear to be cards that want a random direction (as you must roll the Rune Die).

Thus, I think the general consensus that you can choose from any of the cardinal or intercardinal directions is correct. And I do agree that this should be added as a new entry in the rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.