GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,400 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Tiny Epic Western» Forums » Rules

Subject: 2 Player setup - same amount of actions like in 3 & 4 player game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrzej Kaczor
Poland
Chorzów
INTL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

We played only once and in 2 player setup so my experience is very small but I have one concern. Are there too many action spaces in 2 player game?

For example, in 4 player game we have 4 action spaces (immediate or delayed with better bonuses). Also, we have one action at sheriff's office. Thats all what we have, 5 actions

for 2 players, we have two actions from our boards, two actions from buildings which are placed on the porch slots of absent players and one from sheriff's office.

That's the same amount of actions. Which prevents duels, make board less tight etc.

Or I am playing something wrong ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Coppini
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aren't you supposed to turn on the other side any board of the color not used in the game? That way you get less actions with less players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Kaczor
Poland
Chorzów
INTL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drugo81 wrote:
Aren't you supposed to turn on the other side any board of the color not used in the game? That way you get less actions with less players.

True, I will have 2 actions less per player mat but those player mats gets a random building (on porch slot) which can be used by the players. Som in my opinion action count is the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Coppini
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah you're right, but in that case wouldn't you have the same actions count only at the beginning, then having more actions with 4 players since people start getting buildings on their porch everybody can use?

That's my understanding, sorry if I'm missing something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Kaczor
Poland
Chorzów
INTL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, only at the beginning. Later, when those 2 player would buy buildings, there will be only two actions spaces less than in 4 player game.

As I count properly, in 4 player game there will be:

- 4 actions from 4 buildings
- 4 actions from game location
- 1 action from sheriff's office

9 action spaces for 12/16 meeples

so not all of the meeples will fit on the board, duels will be needed.

in 2 player game there will be:

- 4 actions from 4 buildings
- 2 actions from player locations
- 1 action from sheriff's office

7 action spaces for 4/6 meeples

all meeples can fit on actions spaces

if I am counting incorrectly please correct me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Coppini
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah that looks right to me.

Indeed there will be more unavoidable duels with 4 players, but with less players I think there are still some situations where you actively look for dueling, especially if you see your opponent doesn't have much law influence, in order to get the wanted card for example.

So for me it's not really an issue. I'm pretty sure though someone will come up with a variant some day to tighten up the boards for less players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Combs
United States
Spring Lake Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Sheriff's Office has 4 action spots. The porch, buy another building, and the 2 card adjustment spots.

So in the that's
-12 spots for 8-12 meeples in a 4 player game (8 spots for 8 meeples in the first round)
-11 spots for 6-9 meeples in a 3 player game (8 spots for 6 meeples in the first round)
-10 spots for 4-6 meeples in a 2 player game (8 spots for 4 meeples in the first round)

So yes, your less likely to have duels in games with less players. But in all player counts, it's possible to have no duels as there are usually enough acrion spots for each meeple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Coppini
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah right, forgot about the sheriff's office!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

dhc3po wrote:
The Sheriff's Office has 4 action spots. The porch, buy another building, and the 2 card adjustment spots.

So in the that's
-12 spots for 8-12 meeples in a 4 player game (8 spots for 8 meeples in the first round)
-11 spots for 6-9 meeples in a 3 player game (8 spots for 6 meeples in the first round)
-10 spots for 4-6 meeples in a 2 player game (8 spots for 4 meeples in the first round)

So yes, your less likely to have duels in games with less players. But in all player counts, it's possible to have no duels as there are usually enough acrion spots for each meeple.

I agree with everything David wrote. He did a good job of presenting the ratios of Action Spaces to Posse tokens (the less I think of them as meeples, the better I feel ) at the different player counts.

Except, remember that an empty porch is also a valid Action Space! So all the first round caveats he put in parenthesis actually isn't the case.
(Reference: FAQ, inside box cover, 3rd item).
The number of Action Spaces remain as 12/11/10 for 4/3/2 players for the entire game.

So the above numbers inform us that there's a potential 66%/54%/40% fill rate for 4/3/2 players when each player is using two Posse tokens. So yeah, as other above have said, there's a definite lessening probability of encountering duels as the player count decreases. But isn't this simply the nature of lower player counts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United Kingdom
Keighley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only played two player and we have had at least two duels in each game.

Obviously a flipped location mat only has one space, so if you want to buy that building, you have to duel there.

Then once a duel has happened, the opponent will often want to get the Wanted card back, so we often duel just to try and win this back as those two VPs can win a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brown
United States
Westfield
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flipped location mats have 2 spots: the influence slot and the porch slot. See Setup step 7B (p4) along with the 2nd paragraph of Round End (p16).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Granger44 wrote:
Flipped location mats have 2 spots: the influence slot and the porch slot. See Setup step 7B (p4) along with the 2nd paragraph of Round End (p16).

There is only a porch slot for the grey (flipped) side of the player mats.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brown
United States
Westfield
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both sides of the mat have porch slots, but mats that go with a player's color are not filled until that player buys something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Combs
United States
Spring Lake Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Granger44 wrote:
Both sides of the mat have porch slots, but mats that go with a player's color are not filled until that player buys something.

Correct, but your comment above said that the flipped player mats have a porch slot and an influence slot. Braffe was saying this is incorrect and that the flipped player mats (gray side) only have a porch slot. There is no influence slot on the flipped (gray) side of the player mats.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, ya wow I should have worded that differently (I was in a hurry ) I meant for it to say/mean that "The grey (flipped) side of the player mats only have a porch slot"

I assumed John was replying to Tim's comment on how the grey mats only have 1 location, and therefore must be dueled over to buy the building (win or lose, it wouldnt matter). So I was just reaffirming that the grey sides only have the 1 slot available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brown
United States
Westfield
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, I was confusing the sides of the mat. My bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.